1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible opportunity?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jun 4, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    There was someone holding a petition in a Vons parking lot today.

This was about possibly building an area by the convention center across for Coronado that would contain hotels, restaurants, and a ball park.
    Before I signed it, I asked him "when you mentioned ball park, would that be a possible site for a football stadium?" He answered "yes, this would keep an option open for the Chargers to have a stadium in the downtown area."

Well I suggested that he might want to bring this to BoltTalk and explain how it might benefit the Chargers.

2. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Seems like an opportunity. I doubt they mean ball park in the terms of baseball, however would it be enough space for a stadium and all that development?

What is it called?

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    well it'd either be a stadium or an arena, and there's no need for an arena since we won't be getting an NBA team.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I didn't ask but it's just a proposal. We'll see if he takes my advice and presents it in here.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Dude, watch out when talking to petitioners like that. I remember when over 60% voted for Petco and some other ballpark NIMBY's wanted to over ride the vote with a petition. They were all saying that the vote was invalid when it clearly wasn't.

Those name seekers are paid by the number of names they get. They'll tell you anything to get your signature.

6. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    That would be a great area...if it could work. You have transportation and parking.....

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yeah but if that project does get approved, it makes sense. I have heard talk shortly after last season ended about a possibility of building a NFL stadium next to the Convention Center and across from Petco.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Something interesting just happened. I went to the post office and there was a lady with a petition to veto this development.
    She said this petition was to allow restricted development like hotels and restaurants but not to take up all of it. She also mentioned that a stadium would take up all of it.

So I asked her "so if you get enough signatures, that would close the option of the possibility of a downtown stadium?"
    She said "yes but not the current one."
    I told her "well if this petition allows no plans for a downtown stadium, I can't."
    As I handed it back and walked away she goes "well I think it was already vetoed."

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    they're talking about a stadium in CORONADO???

Where the heck would you put it? Coronado doesn't exactly have much room AND access to the Island's a *****, same goes with parking!

If its across from Coronado, well isn't that around National City/Chula Vista, like where the Chargers are thinking about putting it anyway? Or is this more like near the base of the bridge on the SD side?

10. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    On the Silver Strand Baby!!!

The Chargers buy Seal team 4 and 5 training base and we plop a brand new stadium where the rickety old helicopters are. Well at least that's what I remember of the Strand!!! Not even sure it's Seal team 4 and 5.

I love that area so much Mrs Stan and I are vacationing in Coronado from the 15th through the 18th. Well be at the Loewes Coronado with hopes of doing the Tourist thing, Mexico for a few hours, Pala digging for is it troumaline of something like that, Sea World, Wild Animal Park, Legoland...that's what happens when you have kids 7 and 9!!! All I wanted was an Ocean View... hehehehehe!!

Stan :rivers17:

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Dude there's no room to put a big *** stadium on the STRAND, not to mention there's one road going two directions getting in and out. You think the Q's a ***** to get out, that's nothing by comparisson.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The property your talking about appears to be the same area that was proposed for the huge elevated structure that would support a "park", hotels, etc. This is all Port District land and I don't think it's subject to the jurisdiction of local initiatives accept for the appropriation of development funds. There has been a petition floated for making improvements to the port facilities to expand the capacity to handle cargo. I have spoken to a lot of signature gatherers who have only a vague, even a false, idea of what they are circulating.

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Build a floating stadium .... right under the bridge. Bring your fishing poles and bait to the tailgate.

Watch for "jumpers" at halftime .....

• Like Like x 2
  14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No. This proposal is for the possibility of a development in front of and around the Convention Center that would face Coronado.

15. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Should have put the sarcasm sign on....my bad!!! :icon_shrug:

16. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    I knew this...really I did...I was just trying to liven things up. Sarcasm is not my friend today!

B4L repped...I ran out of them or you'd have an Xtra one! Oh BTW I agree with you 50% is with us, the rest WALF's.

17. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Funny sheeeet...Repped! :lol: :lol: :lol: