1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Trade??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NatroneMeansBusiness, Oct 8, 2009.

1. NatroneMeansBusiness

NatroneMeansBusiness BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
  2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    but...he supposedly disappeared when they went to a 3-4

3. NatroneMeansBusiness

Ratings:
    +11
    Valid point, however I don't its possible our DL can get any worse by bringing him in...if the price is right of course. Plus with the way we have been playing don't you think its possible we could move to a 4-3 entirely..being that is RR's specialty and all..Oh well it is just a thought.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    honestly... if we can't get a fatty Jamal doppleganger what I'd really rather get defensively is a maneating safety or some more corner depth.

more important imo is oline help... Philip is a stud but if we want him to be alive come December to cap off our comeback run, he needs better protection and LT needs a little more room to run.

5. NatroneMeansBusiness

Ratings:
    +11
    I think that we potentially do have that man eating safety in the form of Ellison we can bring in CB's all day but I don't care how good they are if WRs are given all day to run routes even the most talented of them will get torched...Both the trenches need to be solidified I am on board with bringing in either an OL/DL help....wherever we can get the most bang for our buck.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It does not matter how many times this is posted, most fans don't "get it." :bolt:

Clone Jammer at every defensive secondary spot and Jammer will get burned if the front 7 is not doing their job. Why is that soooo hard to understand (not you of course)? :icon_huh:

7. NatroneMeansBusiness

Ratings:
    +11
    Agreed, the secondary has become the scapegoat because of the princess like play of our defensive line. We all saw car rental boy and company get pancaked constantly against Pit. Consequently this should be the biggest glaring area in need of an upgrade. As I stated before Big Ben had the time to grow a beard in the pocket..in fact I'm surprised Ben didn't go to Harra's with all the time he had in the pocket and get another employee fired before he made a throw.

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    If we are to many sort of move it needs to be d line period, the offense can actually score as is, the d can't stop anyone from scoring.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bingo. Fans are quick to play musical chairs with the players in hopes of hitting the right combo.

I have been watching this team since they were born and this secondary is not the problem. If the front 7 does their job, they will make the secondary shine. It happened before and will happen again given the d-line is not getting raped repeatedly.

Trenches is where the war is won or lost.

Someone way smarter than me coined that phrase and for very good reason. :bolt:

10. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Trade does not appeal to me considering Kampman doesnt do well in 3-4...

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    We have a couple of those already :yes:

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Kampman is being traded specifically because he can't run in a 3-4. So no, he wouldn't help unless somehow we could shove him at DE and he could pull a Justin Smith. Frankly that's unlikely to happen.

13. NatroneMeansBusiness

Ratings:
    +11
    In order to run a nasty 3-4 you need a great NT, this we presently lack. 4-3 is RR's house sauce anyway.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Another touchdown !!!

We need a monster NT to make this work or the 3-4 does not work. Period. :no:

Switching to a base 4-3 defense will take a major change in players and that takes a year or two to implement. I see fans saying "switch to a 4-3" as though changing a base defense is simple. This does not even make sense to do in the middle of any season except of course, in a forum :lol:

15. NatroneMeansBusiness

Ratings:
    +11
    Absolutely, which is why we should have gone to a 4-3 when we hired RR if we did not plan on getting fresh grade A beef behind Jamal...the guy is in his mid 30's and is getting his knees cleaned out every off season it seems the past three or four years now. And what have we done to prepare for his absence? Well if last weeks performance doesn't give you the answer then I don't know what will....

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    When we needed a tackle - A.J. crapped out Roman Oben who did a damn good job before he went to **** on a injury.

I have a feeling A.J. is about to pull of another player coup and Chargers fans will all be lining up to kiss his tip and sing praises of happy days are here again. Watch.

The Week 6 trading deadline will not by quietly.

The downside is the teams will know the Chargers are desperate which also means A.J. will have to grab his ankles and we all know the rest...........

17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    yep, which means we will probably trade more draft picks away with a player or two and once again be light in the draft.

Another thing that has been part of the problem. I agree that he will pull off a trade but I doubt it's for the players that most of you want to go.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would rather know the team rolled the dice pulling out all the stops to get us a trophy and if it means losing top draft picks then so be it. This team is on the verge of leaving and a Super Bowl trophy will go a LONG WAYS in keeping this team here.

We are only a couple of players or three away from kicking major league *** and they happen to be linemen which are needed.

A.J. is on the clock. :bolt:

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I agree but trading away the farm for someone that may come in and be marginal for a 1/2 year would be foolish.

We will see what he does, but giving up on the likes of Merriman, and Cromartie this early would be a terrible move. And to me unless they got some super stud DT or Oline which will not happen that would end any chance we would have if Merriman does come back around.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I agree but I am talking about a Blockbuster trade and not one in which we rent help like the Roman Oben deal. I would not trade BOTH Merriman and Cro.

Merriman "yes" but Cro no way.

Where is A.J going to find a NT who can ball is the question otherwise, this D is going no where.

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434

I'm never opposed to a blockbuster....I just opened a new thread...Go check it out and lets talk about what and who we can trade for before the deadline.

I am getting lost running back and forth talking about the same stuff over and over and over. lol.

22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    No doubt trading Cro is a bad idea. Just give Cason the starting job and Cro can play nickle like he did in 07'. I'm all for trading Merriman if its for a dominant NT.

The problem is ...A) Nobody wants to give up a big time NT, much less for a guy with issues like Merriman.
    B) All the best NT's are all 30+yrs old, or really young players teams are not ready to part with.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Sweeten the deal...with draft picks and more players (we need to take one in the ***). This may involve more than two teams in a 3-way deal.

If something drastic is not done to bolster the nose tackle position, we are just all kidding ourselves into wishful thinking.

24. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Absolutely agree!

25. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Areas of depth are WR and LB.

Put Floyd, Nanee, Osgood, Tucker, Merriman and Dobbins out there to see who bites.

Goal, off two to three of the above to aquire a NT & Center or maybe a RG.

NT has to be close to Jamal caliber and Center/RG needs to be upper end vs. servicable.

26. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Being 3 reliable linemen away, and I think it is more like 4, is like being halfway done with a marathon. You still got a long way to go.

With zero progress on this front in the last three years I just don't see how we get there during this year irregardless of how many trades we could pull off.

While I agree with your general comment about the corners, regarding Cro I am not totally convinced it is all due to the line play. He often plays 10 to 15 yards deep and can't tackle. You could one and three step drop him all day long. In addition he seems lost on go routes.

Deion really seemed to have messed that boy up.

27. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Don't throw away some young O- or D- Liners.
    They're able to learn and get consciousness.
    I don't think that a trading wonder will happen.
    Look at the last aquisitions Aj made. average solidity
    but no game winners.

28. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Please explain to me where the Chargers are going to find a Nose Tackle this late in the season?
    I understand the pt. about changing to a 4-3 at this pt. in the season but w/o an NT the D aint going no where...

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Would you really trade for Merriman???? The dude is a shell of himself and not much help out on the field. No trade will happen, and I'd be happy to see our boy's get pounded every week for punishment. It's time to shut their mouths and quit be all cutesy with the dancing and lampooning on the field. Play the game you are paid for or get out of Dodge!!!!!!!

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I wouldn't but some dumb GM might. I've been doubting this guy since early last season. The decision to not get surgery until far too late kinda sums him up. He is not ready to play when we need him. If someone came in with a no. 1 for Merriman and a player in a position of need, hasta luego Shawne.

As for Cro, I reckon his trade value is probably lower than Merrimans if that is possible!. Cason needs to get his job and Cro needs to go prove/find himself at nickel, just let him play, don't try and (obviously) confuse him with systems etc. It is clear he was way down the line when intelligence was being handed out.