1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

possibly a dumb question...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Sydalish, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    is it a pipe dream to hope for ryan matthews at 28 and ben tate in 3rd or 4th?

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    IMO, yes and yes.

Mathews has the rep as the most complete back in the draft. Between the teams that draft for TALENT and the teams that NEED a RB he is almost a top 20 lock. I will say I have seen crazier things happen, but I am really doubtful.

I don't think Tate escapes the 2nd round. He's flying low on the radar but the good GM's know exactly who he is and what he is capable of doing. The one and only reason Tate isn't in the top 3-4 discussion is because he had 2 seasons where he got the ball less than 200 times. The only 2 season that he DID get the ball over 200 times he did great. The man averaged 5.3 YPC throughout his 4 years, caught the ball more than the other top prospects, never once lost a fumble and never had any serious injuries. Not too shabby if you ask me!

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The bigger question is - why? They're similar backs so why would you take 2 of basically the same style of runner?

Syd .... please .... look away from the bling. It will blind you with it's shine, then tarnish your dreams like unpolished brass on the Love Boat. :lol:

Defense wins championships.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    but the bling is shiney and pretty.... :wub:

seriously tho, like I said it was probably a dumb question hehe - and the little that I was reading of Tate he was described as more of a Burner than an LT - but i know very little when it comes to the wide world of college football :icon_shrug:

oh well - AJ's just gonna mind'f us all anyway :lol:

:icon_party:

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Its not stupid because I think Tate SHOULD be there at 91. But that doesn't mean he will be given the hype around his combine scores.

I have to agree with Buck though, Mathews and Tate are too much the same style. Look for Mathews and McKnight as a possibility though.

6. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Tate will NOT be there at 91. It's not just his combine numbers, he had a DAMN good Sr. year. He's the 2nd best complete back in the draft behind Mathews. Not a chance he drops to 91.

AJ isn't drafting more than 1 RB in the first 4 rounds. He will draft 1 with 1 of his first two picks then MAYBE again in the 5th.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398
    I say No and Yes

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Oh I'd be more than willing to bet we burn 2 of our first 4 picks on RB's.

I could see Mathews in the 1st, then Scott or Blount in the 4th.
    Or Mathews in the 1st and McKnight in the 3rd.
    Or Best in the 1st, Tate in the 2nd, and maybe a trade up from the 3rd round to get Torrell Troup or Cam Thomas.
    Or Best in the 2nd, Dixon in the 3rd.
    Or Hardesty in the 2nd, McKnight in the 3rd.
    Or Best in the 1st or 2nd, and Starks in the 4th.

:lol: I can see a lot of scenarios where we draft 2 RB's in the first 4 rounds. When you get to the middle rounds most of the players left are just guys who had good workouts but questionable production, or vice versa, a lot of them are players you just take flyers on.

9. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34

I'll bet anything you'd like that we will not draft 2 RB's in the first 4 rounds.. You let me know how much your willing to lose :smile:

Oh, and we can throw another wager on the fact AJ will NOT draft Blount..

We have Tolbert, no need for Scott. We are a pass happy O that needs a sufficient RB to compliment Sproles, not a chance we draft 2 in the first 4.