1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Post your 2015 mock drafts here...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Mar 14, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Again, I don't like jumping from mock draft thread to mock draft thread, so lets at least attempt to keep them here without getting too off track.

My first mock draft of the entire offseason...

17 - C Cameron Erving, 6'5 313, FSU
    Right now my attitude is lets complete the O-line, try to imitate what they did in Dallas by putting big talented athletes along the O-line to make everyone on the team better. Erving is a great athlete, and his flaws are fixable with good coaching.

48 - DT Carl Davis, 6'5 320, Iowa
    Big and light on his feet. Very good at handling double teams, has a couple solid pass rush moves that make him a viable interior pass rusher. I can see him winning the NT or DE job away from Reyes. After an impressive offseason I think our chances of landing him here are becoming slim.

83 - S/CB Eric Rowe, 6'1 205, Utah
    Devin McCourty style safety with high upside. Great athlete with good ball skills, but a little limited in man-coverage, which is why I'd prefer him as a safety. Solid tackler not unlike Quentin Jammer.

114 - RB Jeremy Langford, 6'0 208, MSU
    The grinder type back we're kind of forced to spend a pick on now. Does everything pretty well, running, blocking, receiving both out of the backfield in the slot, and seems to make more plays in crunch time. I think a great O-line can make him look even better.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    17 - Marcus Peters CB - Best CB in football. Janoris Jenkins like CB big physical and can be found insurance if JayFevva22 doesn't pan out.

48 - Todd Gurley - Top talent at RB and I believe will fall due more to talent depth than his acl injury.

83- Laken Tomlinson - versatile linemen that could suit up at RG and possible Center too.

113 - Philip Dorsett - BPA at WR.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon
    6'7" 292 LBS.

Tom Telesco made an offer at Suh as soon as Free Agency started, Now before you say to yourself, "well who would'nt?!?!" please keep in mind that there were only a handful of teams even considered to be serious, us included. Liuget is a free agent and Reyes is turnstile at best, it's obvious they need to improve in the trenches. Armstead is still very raw but his upside and with some proper coaching, he can be that of a Calais Campbell type player. We desperately need to generate a pass rush and if we re-sign Liuget in the foreseeable future, we can arguably have one of the most dominating lines in the league.

Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise St.
    6'0" 220 LBS.

Ajayi is my favorite RB in the draft aside from Gordon and Gurley. I'm hopeful the Chargers pick Ajayi because I feel he can fill the void that was left by a healthy Mathews, allowing the team as a whole to look and play better. Given his soccer background he has they ability to keeps his legs and body in sync while bouncing off defenders

Nelson Agholar, WR, USC
    6'0" 192LBS.

Keeping with the funny names, He reminds me of a Robert Woods Marquise Lee love child (in a good way) He is an excellent route runner, can catch, and most importantly has enough awareness to know if he needs to make his way back to a scrambling QB. He's a very smart player, gives it his all on every play, not the best blocker but will still try his best. I have heard multiple different comparisons to Reggie Wayne but like I said, to me he looks to have all the best things that Woods and Lee had. Either way he would be a damn good WR in the NFL and on our football team.

Who are we kidding, you know Telesco is trading this pick

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    #17 - G Ereck Flowers, 6'6 329, U. Miami - The need is to complete this OL. I have Brandon Schreff and La'El Collins off the board at 17. I think Flowers is the next best offensive lineman. His versatility is key, and I don't think he's quite ready to be an LT in the NFL. It would be great for him to groom at OG and eventually move him to OT. It was a toss up between Flowers and Alvin Dupree for me.

#48 - WR Tyler Lockett, 5'10 182, Kansas State - Kid has moves to gain separation. Absolutely schooled Jason Verrett last year when they went head to head. Has some concentration issues, like with drops and letting the ball get into his body when he can catch it with his hands.

#83 - RB Duke Johnson, 5'9 207, U. Miami - Does Telesco have hurricane fever? Anyways, Johnson is a great fit as a one cut back. He could thrive in the ZBS and makes people miss. He can be a workhouse, despite his 'size'. I have 4 other RBs ranked ahead of him, so it's very possible he drops to the 3rd round.

#114 - S Eric Rowe, 6'1 205, Utah - I hope he falls this far, or we might have to trade up. Honestly, it's all about how teams view him. I think he would be a good corner in the NFL, however I think he'd be best as a safety who plays that center field role. His hands are a question though. Next best player I think that would be available around this pick would be Adrian Amos.

#145 - ED Deon Barnes, 6'4 260, Penn State - Good experience standing up and also putting his hand in the ground. Shows potential in converting speed to power.

#176 - ILB Jake Ryan, 6'2 240, Michigan - Very good run defender. Shows instincts at times and does not hesitate when diagnosing run plays. In coverage, he scares me. Think he needs to improve there.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    1. Melvin Gordon hb Wisconsin
    2. Jake fisher ot Oregon
    3. Rashadee green wr fsu

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    17: R1P17 DT EDDIE GOLDMAN FLORIDA STATE
    Cameron Erving? Devante Parker? DL talent is thinner once you get past the first round, so I'll go with a guy who can play anywhere in a 3-4 but should really find a home alongside Liuget.

48: R2P16 RB DUKE JOHNSON MIAMI
    Gurley/Gordon/Johnson were all available, I think the Duke provides the best balance of everything; less injury history and fumble issues than with either other options, less injury history and a good combination of speed and power.

83: R3P19 WR TYLER LOCKETT WR KANSAS STATE
    Between him and Nelson Agholor, went with Lockett since I think he can develop into more and can provide support in PR/KR besides. He has less pure speed but a better development as a route runner and can catch at the highest point. He's very hard to beat one on one.

114: R4P18 CB IFO EKPRE-OLOMU OREGON
    Total value pick, he's in the fourth round and could be fully recovered by mid-season. Considering that both Flowers and Verrett have missed time and have injury problems, some depth (even if he's also recently injured) wouldn't hurt. And unlike Williams/Davis, IEO can play outside with little issue.

145: R5P17 C B.J. FINNEY KANSAS STATE
    While I like Watt as a center, he's the BPA and Finney brings a lot more power and force than the average center. He doesn't have great footwork but impressive intelligence and strength, stopping any number of big nose tackles and DTs. He could conceivably start this year (reminds me of Corey Lindsay from last year), move Watt to RG and this team's OL is light year's ahead of last years.

176: R6P16 OLB TONY WASHINGTON OREGON
    More depth and needed since we just have Ingram/Attaouch/Williams - all of whom have injury problems. Not the best pure pass rusher but plays with intensity, fire and a lot of power. He could at least rotate effectively in with the others.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I've seen some mocks that have Eric Rowe in the 1st round. Hopefully that's hype because I would love him in the 3rd/4th to pair with another Ute (Weddle) at the safety spots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    17. Malcolm Brown DT/Texas- Versatile. He can play anywhere on the line. But he is exceptional at eating up blockers and plugging the middle.

48. Tevin Coleman RB/Indiana- Love this kid. Plays extremely hard. Runs a bit upright but has size, speed, and good vision.

83. Rashad Greene WR/FSU- TT' and MM's typical WR, it seems they covet. He has good speed, and it an amazing route runner. Would be a good compliment opposite KA13, or you can line him up in the slot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Round 1 Pick 21 (CINN): Malcom Brown, DT, Texas (A)
    Plug and play just about anyplace on a 3-4 DL you want, amazing versatility and strength.

Round 2 Pick 16: A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina (A-)
    If you're serious about keeping Fluker at RT he needs a real guard besides him. Cann played LG, could move to RG or Franklin to RG instead. Either way your offensive line is better.

Round 2 Pick 23 (ARI): Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (A)
    Deep threat extrodinare, perfect compliment to KA.

Round 3 Pick 19: Duke Johnson, RB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Mid third and he's available? Yeah I'll take a starter like that anytime. Meet your three down below.

Round 4 Pick 18: Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford (B+)
    Replaces Reyes, shows amazing strength and run stopping.

Round 4 Pick 24 (ARI): Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon (A)
    Injured but when healthy he gives the Chargers three legit starting corners

Round 5 Pick 17: Zack Hodges, OLB, Harvard (B+)
    OLB depth, talented pass rusher and special teamer. Can be brought in to rotate with JA/MI

Round 5 Pick 23 (ARI): Jake Ryan, OLB/ILB, Michigan (B)
    Great value this far down, can handle everything at ILB without issue and could potentially develop into a starter.

Round 6 Pick 16: Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford (A)
    I have no idea why he's this far down. He could become a starter opposite KA with Smith in the slot. You dream of finding top flight players like him this far down.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    what was that website again?

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  12. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Did someone say mock draft? Well don't mind if I do! The first guy in the sequence is my preference and so on...

1st - Jordan Phillips/Eddie Goldman/Malcom Brown - This is difficult, because I'm tempted by Gordon and possibly Parker (Walterfootball is saying some teams view Parker as a 2nd). Also, I wouldn't be upset with Scherff or La'el Collins either. Ultimately I just don't like what the draft has to offer in the middle rounds at DT, so I feel we need to snatch one early. I like Phillips because I think he can play all three downs, control the point and offer a little something to the pass rush. But I wouldn't be upset with the other two either. Note on Brown: He was leaning hard toward Texas A&M but didn't wanna play in a 34 front, so that might keep 34 teams from drafting him.

2nd - Devin Smith/Phillip Dorsett/Tyler Lockett - Call him who you want to, I prefer Smith here if available and I doubt that, but we need SPEED on this offense in the worst way. I don't think any of these guys make it to our 3rd, so we need to grab one here.

3rd - T.J Yeldon/Buck Allen - I have Gordon/Gurley/Johnson/Ajayi (I love)/Abdullah all off the board at this point. I f one of those guys are still on the board (outside of Abdullah) take him immediately. I like Yeldon and here's why. Supposedly we're going to a power run offensive attack, He has the size, speed (I know the combine 40 sucked, but he ran between a 4.4 and 4.5 at his pro day and that counts by the way) and he's the best blocker that I've seen so far in this class at RB. Throw in that he has good hands and he can play all three downs. I wouldn't be opposed to waiting a round for Langford/Cobb/David Johnson either but right now I'm sticking to this

4th - Ali Marpet/Shaquille Mason/Jamil Douglas - This is where we get our RG, or in the 3rd if you absolutely have to, not in the 1st (unless that 1st can kick out to tackle, Collins/Scherff). Just my opinion but interior line can be found in the middle rounds. I think the writings on the wall for Watt as the center of the future, so all we really need is a quality RG. RG's can be found in the middle rounds easy.

5th/6th rounds - BPA, I'll throw out a bunch of names that I would like to see though - Brice McCain, Imoan Claiborne, Ladarius Gunter, Jeff Heuerman, Ben Heeney, BJ Finney, Greg Mancz, Kenny Bell, Jalston Fowler, Tre McBride, Darren Waller, Deandre Smelter, Taiwan Jones...thats in no order just names that popped in my head.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I like Ajayi a lot, but the fumbles are a big issue. He holds that ball away from the body MOST of the time, and nearly every time he cuts you can see air between him and the ball. There was multiple times where he fumbled the ball and was bailed out by a knee or an elbow that touched the ground first.

If he can get that polished up I have no problem with him at 48. He's a legit every down back at this level IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    x2 thats my only concern with Ajayi is how he carries the ball. He also takes a lot of big/violent shots, albeit he gets up from them, but I wonder how many of those he can withstand in a career

17. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Apparently the Chargers brass had dinner with Ajayi so the interest seems pretty serious.

Putting together my own mocks it seems it will be much easier to find offensive talent in rounds 2-3 as opposed to the front seven help we need, which makes me think we'll go defense round 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Thats exactly where I ended up. Its awful tempting to pull the trigger on Gordon, Gurley or even possibly Parker, but at the end of the day if we pass on Goldman, Brown, Shelton, Phillips or whoever is there we're pretty much screwed on the defensive line again.

The only thing to consider would be Rivers apparent unwillingness to sign an extension. May lead to the front office trying to appease him by adding some big name weapons, or o-line help in the first round. If thats the case, I hope we go with Scherff or Collins (yes, I think they will be there) then come back in the 2nd with Ajayi. Then hope Lockett falls into the third or use the patented Telesco trade up. That would set us up with a jumbo o-line that we could hammer Ajayi with. I realize it does nothing to help the D, but our offense should be absolutely potent.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Personally, at this point I think there are only two things we can do to make Rivers more happy with his situation.

1) Draft O-line in the 1st round. He has proven every single year that when he has time to throw he is great, and when we can run the ball as well he becomes elite, even when the receivers are not.

2) Trade for Adrian Peterson. It would show Rivers how intent we are on improving, and if it helped him lean toward a long term deal, I'd seriously consider trading #48 to MIN for Peterson. And still I'd probably go O-line in the first. No doubt it's a short sighted solution, but lets face it starting over with Mariota or letting Rivers walk would be like hitting the reset button.

I think D-line in the first round is becoming less and less likely thanks to Rivers.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I think we are setting up to go heavy on the offensive side of the ball but more so going with skilled players.

OL (depends on how he truly feels about Troutman), RB, and another WR . Don't rule out the possibility of us taking a TE either, Gates is long in the tooth and Green wasn't his guy (it's a bad year for TE but he may see one he likes).

OLB is another thing we desperately need but its a matter of when he picks one up, We have Ingram and he traded up for Attaochu last year so I don't think we'll see one in the top rounds. Also, having signed 3 DB's and 2 DL all of which can probably give better production than most 4th-6th rounders, I think it's safe to say he'll be looking elsewhere unless one falls into his lap.

One way to get him to sign is knowing he'll have some shiny new toys to play with.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    1: Malcom Brown (DL; Texas) - I could definitely see him going higher, but that's the primary reason I can see Telesco moving his finger off the trigger of a 1st round RB. I'm with Duffman in that I really like Jordan Phillips, but I think TT and the front office will downgrade him some for having missed most of a season in college due to injury.

2: Jay Ajayi (RB; Boise State) - Odds are certainly pointing to us really liking him. Telesco usually has at least one guy per draft thus far he kind of telegraphs - so unless someone snags him before TT can engineer a trade-up (Jacksonville is a definite contender for that), this is a safe pencil-in.

3 (could actually be late 2nd): Ali Marpet (OG/OC; Hobart) - From everything I gather from talking to sources who actually talk to NFL scouts on the regular, Marpet's held in higher regard than a lot are crediting him. He's locked in as a Top 75 pick right now and has a lot of potential to creep into the 2nd. If he makes it to a certain point in the late 2nd, I could certainly see Telesco offering our 5th combined with our 3rd to move up for him.

4: Deandre Smelter (WR; Georgia Tech) - Potentially a huge steal whose likely only falling to Day 2 or early Day 3 because of a late-season injury - his tape is sound. Likely candidate to start the season on the PUP, but we've got the veteran (read: old) receiving corps to support that and give him a half-season redshirt before being called upon to integrate.

(5th - Traded)

6: Ryan Delaire (EDGE; Towson) - Not quite sure I can see TT looking to D2 Towson, but it's possible. More likely might be a more major conference player like Oregon State's Obum Gwachum (because damn it we have to have one "hard to pronounce named" rookie every year!).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I love the mock, but my issue with Malcolm brown is he tends to play high and extend his body to where he loses leverage. I love him as a d-end in our defense has great power moves and speed. The only question is do we draft him to be an end. He doesn't look like he has the skill set to play 3-4 dt as a rookie

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The odds of any rookie coming in and starting at the nose are extremely low. Even former multi-time Pro Bowlers like Casey Hampton and of course Ngata cut their teeth at 5-Tech before they were eventually moved inside to the nose. Carrethers is going to get every opportunity to be that early down run-stuffer in the middle, but he's quite obviously a 2-down lineman. Brown can play all three downs. Stick him at LDE on 1st and 2nd downs and move him inside on passing-downs.

24. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i agree, he's a monster, I'm just questioning his ability to play low consistently, just makes me nervous, I know Reyes has played incredibly bad but do we waste a 1st on a guy to replace him, I'm just conflicted on him. I love watching him get sacks and stuff the run but I really hate seeing him play high and and blown off the ball. He's just tearing me half and half. I see him as a end for the first couple of years

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Reyes has what? 1 year left on his contract? I'd sooner draft his replacement now if we've determined he's not the answer than wait to do it and have to depend on a rookie or spending fat on an FA to fill the spot.

Flat out... we NEED to improve our pass-rush. If the players available to us aren't able to do that on the edge then we have to look to what will make it easier for the guys we do have to get the job done. That means eating blocks and forcing opposing lines to account for other guys beyond our OLB's and Liuget.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    If he can eat up a block and free up our olbs or just flat out get the pressure himself I'm all for it. But I ask myself should we go and get another olineman, a wr, rb, to me it would be get a rt first that way fluker is at rg and watt at center. But if we go brown , who I like but I'm confused by our dline can be set. Even tho I'm confident that attachou can get sacks even if Reyes is taking the blocks for him. But I'm not opposed on brown so much as I'm more confused on him.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If Jordan Phillips didn't have the back-concerns, I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking him over Brown. Then again, if he didn't have the back concerns, he wouldn't be available at #17 overall like I'm fairly certain he will be (folks will be quick to knock production, but super size/athleticism prospects with similar production knocks as their only detractor have typically barely made it out of the Top 10).

There is no perfect prospect and my philosophy when that's the case is to find the best marriage of "most dominant" and "most versatile" because competent coaches and coordinators (and I can say we at least have one of those in Pagano - who has shown he does know how to move guys around to maximize their talents) will find ways to get consistent production out of those types. I'll be honest, I won't truly be shocked if Shelton is still on the board when we pick, but he fails the "versatility" filter for me - in a 3-4, he's a 0-Tech only and I'm not convinced he's a great one, he doesn't have the skill-set to shift outside and play jumbo-DE. Goldman and Phillips pass the "dominant" filter in one phase of their game (rush defense), but come up lacking in the pass-rush phase. Brown is kind of the "safe middle ground."

I mean, hell, were it me with full control, unless one of the pass-rushers falls to us, I'm taking Jake Fisher there - preferably trading back about 5-8 picks if I can finagle quality value (I'm not doing it just to get any pick I can - so it would have to be a 3rd, not a 4th) before doing it, but ultimately if if I can't, I feel like I'm getting value there. That's not likely to happen because from what I hear, at least pre-combine, NFL scouts really weren't terribly high on him. My gut says if we take a 1st round OL it's either Erving (where they'll cite "need" - likely also attempting to appeal to Rivers since Hardwick was one of his best friends on the team) or Ereck Flowers (because he's pretty much Joe D's wet dream outside of the fact that he doesn't use his lower body terribly well - though they could conceivably plug him in at RG in the interim and groom him for a position move down the line). Telesco said in a live interview however that he really likes the "depth" of this OL class (granted this was prior to the who Rivers saga, or free agency for that matter, so grain of salt and all that business), so that at least suggests he doesn't see it as a flashing red light that we need to go OL right out the gate.

Ultimately, and I'm finding this difficult in putting together my All-32 Mock and I have a good amount of notes of the tendencies and preferences of about 80% of the league's front offices, if the past two years are any indication, it's next to impossible to peg how the 1st round is going to turn out. Plenty of teams make picks that are widely considered reaches or against immediate need. Someone almost always trades a future 1st to make an out of nowhere jump up or in to get someone. And 3-4 guys who were projected to be locks to go in the Top 15 almost always fall out. This is a draft class A LOT like 2013 where I'm having trouble filling out a definitive Top 15 of players out-and-out worthy of going Top 15 over their peers. So there's going to be "projected" value that falls - and it will come down to how spot-on front offices are with their evaluations whether they end up with the faller that was just overhyped (like Shariff Floyd or Cordarelle Patterson) or one that just got pushed down because more teams were snatching to fill needs (Star Lotulelei, Keenan Allen, Larry Warford, Eddie Lacy).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  28. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    At pick 17 my preferences are
    1.ereck flowers
    2.melvin Gordon
    3.laell collins
    4.malcom brown
    5.danny Shelton
    6.todd gurley
    7.jalen strong

Those 7 players could I firmly believe could help this team. Tho jalen is probably my favorite out of those 7 players

• Like Like x 1
  29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Early on I was down on Phillips just because men at that size don't usually play 3 downs, and even if they do they're worn down by the 4th quarter. Then you add the back issues (and/or motor issues depending on who you talk to) and he looks to me like a solid backend 1st, maybe early 2nd round pick for a team who can afford to take some risks.

He's definitely grown on me on film, if he can get 100% healthy a team is going to get a hell of a football player. I can see the Ngata-ish type talent that's there, but he's got the Marcus McNeill tag on him now. Back injuries, especially ones that require surgery, scare the heck out of me.

I think we have too many issues that need fixing now to take a risk on a guy like that in the 1st round. But it depends on the medical team.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Jalen helps in the long-term, but he's not going to do much in year-1. Way too many bad habits to shake in a single camp. I kind of liken him to Desmond Trufant - Y2 on, you've got a quality player with perennial Pro-Bowl upside (assuming he gets some semblance of decent pass-rush in front of him), but outside of maybe a few right-place-right-time INT's, you're not going to get much out of him as a rookie.