1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Post your "AJ" Mocks here!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Chargerfn909, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Your a fool to think those guys are the answer so who cares about your patience. And who said anything about the first round?

Those guys were brought in to fill spots when we had injuries. Did any of them get a long term deal? They can be cut with no loss to us. Even TJ can be cut . He was just tendered. He may not draft one at all once we get past the first three round and then id agree, we just have more depth. Id rather get someone who can start. We have a bunch of scrubs at DE asside from Castillo. TJ is alright too, Martin has potentual and eventually hopefully he can be a NT. Screw the rest of them.

As for Martin...that is a big IF for which you dont know anything about. This is a year for him to make some good progress but it isnt guaranteed. I bet they didnt plan to have to use him last year but were forced to.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I do think they are the answer, so I guess I am a fool.:yes: I think a Martin, Thomas, Castillo D-line is pretty damn good. With Nwgabuo, Cesaire, Garay, Johnson and Scott rotating in and out they can stay fresh.

And I don't think Alualu is a huge enough upgrade over any of them to pass on a NT or a RB again.

3. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I never said a thing about passing on a RB or NT to get one of them. I said it depends on who we have picked and who was on the board and i would go with a DE like Aluala or even Houston than pick Cam Thomas at #40 if we got a RB in the first if Cody is gone.

You gotta read what is posted man.

And again, you or i dont know if Martin is ready. He didnt look good and i dont know about you but guys like Cesaire are our problem at DE, not the solution.
    I still expect to see Oge at NT rotating with whoever we get there and maybe it is Martin, ....i dont know but he wasnt playing there last season because he wasnt ready. Hopefully he is.

We'll see. I think we have a bunch of scrubs for DE asside from TJ who is ok, Castillo who is usually dinged these days. Then we have the always hurt Bingham, and Boone played admirably but he is a stop gap and is 34.

And who is Thomas?

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I do read what is posted, I have good knowledge of the players currently on our team, and I also have a general idea how the draft is expected to unfold. And as our picks stand right now (trades not withstanding)....NT and RB need to be our first two picks.:yes:

In fact I see a very likely scenario where we don't spend a single pick this year on DE, that is how unconcerned I am about that position.

2 more things...1) I've heard a dozen times the Chargers want Martin to play DE, not NT. 2) Johnson, Scott, and Oge are solid depth, I think Boone and Bingham are on the chopping block.....we just don't need more DE's.

5. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Never argued that and in fact i agree. I was saying IF in the 2nd there isnt a NT worthy such as Cam Thomas, then id be fine going Aluala or Houston. If we get Cody in the first then RB is surely what we are looking for but again, it depends on who is on the board. Best could be gone which leaves Tate, Gerhart and Dwyer. We'll see how he likes those guys.

If we dont pick one within the first three rounds, i'll agree. Just saying it is possible within those rounds depending on who is on the board.

OK, but you said Garay is projected there and Martin had the size to project there yet Garay is listed 3 lbs heavier more than Oge who will probably play there rotating with whoever. I dont know what has been said about Oge lately but i do know RR was praising him at NT during the season. Hopefully he has added some lbs.

We'll see. I just want them to upgrade the front 7. I think we are fine in the secondary now. I just hope Martin has improved a bunch from last season. That is unknown to all of us right now. If he has then i agree, we dont need a DE. But it is liar's month and then we have some FA's there too after this season dont we?

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Glade we're beginning to understand eachother. I'm just getting frusturated at the number of people who don't seem to have any knowledge past our 1st stringers.

By the way Hank Bauer says Antonio Garay is up to 320lbs, and the Chargers are high on him as a NT.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Now MAYBE you could understand how some of the rest of us feel when you & szarmes make your guarantees that we're drafting Mathews if he's available. :icon_shrug:

There are people here & other places who are just as well aware of our roster, from top to bottom, our needs, & the possibilities for upgrades as you, mat. And, just as we saw with our little draft exercise on Sat., ANYTHING can happen to affect how the draft plays out. ANYTHING.

Some folks are of a mindset that RB must be addressed in the 1st round, others think OL, others the defense in some fashion. None of those opinions is completely right or wrong - they're simply opinions. I hardly think that the Chargers are going to base where they feel the biggest needs are to be addressed by anything that we say or do here.

Guarantees of what almost any team will absolutely do in any draft are for fools. The speculation of the possibilities is for fun.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    We have AJ Smith so obviously I don't think Mathews is a lock at all.:lol: I just think its the smartest pick we could make with the most immediate impact. He seems like the most NFL ready back in this entire class, and Jahvid Best I would consider too. Not only would it take some pressure off Rivers to score all the points, but it helps us keep the defense off the field longer by moving the chains in short yardage situations.

I get frustrated with the DE people because we so clearly don't need to waste a 1st round pick on that position. I could understand RT, NT, SS, or OLB as real possibilities if the right guys fell.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    After the way that the board fell on Sat., I'm actually kinda hoping that Thomas could be there for us.

With regards to DE .... I hear what you're saying. DL is tough to call this year. We re-signed some players that sorta surprised me. Does that mean that AJ & Rivera are satisfied here? I don't think so, but you've only got so much room to carry these guys. What did we carry last year in this group - 7? Maybe 8?

There's a lot of potential in some of these guys - Oggie & Martin, Travis Johnson if he can stay healthy. We pretty much know what we have in guys like Cesaire, Boone, & Scott. I suppose Garay could be considered something of a wild card.

I'm pretty much done with any predictions at this point & just watching how free agency & trades may affect where players fall. I don't see much of anything changing my analysis of players at this point unless someone sustains a bad injury or does something way stupid off the field.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    OK, here's an "AJ-type" mock for ya ....

#28 - Devin McCourty, CB
    #40 - Terrance Cody, DT
    #91 - Toby Gerhart, RB
    #126 - Jason Worilds, OLB
    #159 - Linval Joseph/Mike Neal, DE
    #168 - Jonathan Crompton/Zac Robinson, QB
    #235 - Joique Bell, RB

UDFA

LaMarcus Coker, RB/KR
    Will Barker, OT
    Barry Church, S
    Vincent Rey, ILB
    Danny Batten, OLB
    Chris Bell, WR
    Greg Boone, TE
    Jeff Cottam, TE

11. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think Toby makes it to 91, Worilds to 125, and I dont think Joseph OR Neal make it clear down to 159.

I'd say Toby goes in the early 3rd at the latest, Worilds will go Mid to late 3rd..Neal early to mid 3rd and Joseph could go in the late 2nd.

I do not really disagree on the guys' you've selected I just don't think its doable.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

You're probably right. I was just bored & thinking about guys who sorta fit AJ's tendencies .... a few projects, sleepers, hopefully late gems, that sorta thing. And an early DB, as we all know how he likes those. :unsure:

With regards to Worild, Neal, & Joseph ....

Worild is too light to play DE in the NFL & completely unproven at OLB. I love the kid ... big surprise, VT homer that I am, right? :lol: Pressure to find 3-4 OLB's who can get after the QB is pushing his stock up - that's great for him, but not sure that it's warranted with the lack of any type of proof that he can play OLB other than athleticism.

Joseph is a small school kid & something of a phenom at this point. Again - pressure for guys his size who can be a 5-tech or possibly move inside is driving his stock up, too. I can see someone reaching for him or his stock dropping more than expected.

Of the 3 guys that you mentioned, Neal is probably the least likely, IMO, to be available where I have him. Alex Carrington is a similar guy - a little smaller - who I started to put there & is more likely to be available.

One more DL I like in late rounds or UDFA - Nate Collins from UVA. Played in a 3-4 his entire college career, mostly DE but some nose as well, hard worker, great motor, plays with very good leverage. He'd be the kind of guy I could see us targeting if we are indeed looking for a more versatile DL for a move towards the 4-3.

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I'm not buying Mayock saying Joseph could go in the second round. Mid 3rd at the earliest. Could still be a 4th IMO