1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Potential labor dispute looms large for Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    My first instinct is to say that must be like Jumbo Shrimp or Government Intelligence. But I'll give it a shot...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Good read. Couple of annoyances, but nothing major. Overall a very good read. Some things I didn't know anything about like the final 8 restrictions on player movement.

Thanks for posting.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think this is the 800 pound garilla in the corner that no one is talking about.

The NFL, players, owners everyone would be criminally stupid to allow a work stoppage. They are right now the example of how profesional sports should be run. If some owners get greedy, or players get greedy and derail that, they may never regain the properity they would be throwing away.

I think the league needs to cap rookie salaries. But I think the owners have to be willing to give the players some benifits as well...

If there is a work stoppage next season, the league will spend the next decade trying to recover from it, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    A lock out will hurt the NFL worse than either the players or owners can imagine. Everyone else in this great country is cutting prices, the Nfl keeps inflating them. Who's going to lose, we the fans. We will be robbed of our passion and the players and owner's will only have our hard earned bucks in their sight.

Damn that's a lot for me to type, didn't mean to rant.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    See ... ya just never know where you'll find good info. :lol:

And your welcome. :tup:

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Hexed is correct. We've all seen how lockouts in the past have worked to severely hamper the popularity of the sport. The NFL, the players, and the owners have to realize that their league is not invincible, and they will lose a TON of popularity if there is a lockout. Fans don't look kindly on these teams and players squabbling over a couple million here and there, when fans are having to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to gather up the hundreds of dollars necessary to attend a single game. The NFL has a great thing going right now, and I hope they don't ruin it with a lockout.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's their ship to steer. If they want to be greedy & set it adrift, screw 'em. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    How long it take football to recover after the last strike?
    How long and at what cost did baseball recover its popularity from the 1994 strike? Took the home run chase and that was its own can of worms with steroids

Agreed, they can't allow work stopage

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    interesting that there will be a league available for players to play in "just in case" :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I will offer a different take on this. I wonder if a lock out isn't just what is needed. The NFL has been riding an unprecedented wave of popularity for the last two decades. During that time ticket prices, salaries, bonus', TV contracts and team values have skyrocketed to obscene levels. It reminds me of the staggering increases in property values we have seen recently here in SoCal, followed by a stiff decline since the values were artificially high. I just wonder if this isn't just a natural "market correction"?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I guess I dont assume that the lockout will drive down prices. I believe it will actually drive them up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    you're absolutely right. In this time of reduced money, the
    NFL can't go uphill with prices and salary. The sharks will eat the small fishes and a lot of games will be boring.

• Like Like x 2
  14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    You got it dude. :tup:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yep. All of the things that have been done to bring about parity in the league will get crapped right out the window in this scenario.

And I'm sure that the Krafts, Snyders, Maras, Johnsons, etc. would like nothing better than to be able to buy championships & step on the smaller markets.

This is owner manipulation, pure & simple.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We lose as fans cause it all comes out of our pocket. the next time you buy shaving cream........... N/M:icon_shrug:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    People are losing their jobs, homes, etc. while NFL stadiums will still fill up (if not sell out) and the players are making millions.
    Players and owners need to STFU and get ready for this season!!!

• Like Like x 1