1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Practice Squad Formed!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DefenseWins, Sep 2, 2007.

1. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Sunday, Sep 02, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    The Chargers formed their practice squad Sunday, and the eight-man group is made up of players who were with the team in training camp.

Safety Tra Battle, running back Eldra Buckley, defensive ends Andre Coleman and Keith Grennan, defensive tackle Louis Leonard, offensive tackle Tony Pape and linebackers Nick Roach and Jyles Tucker make up the eight-man squad.

Also Sunday, the club reached an injury settlement with guard Erik Robertson and he was released. (Sorry Chispa) Robertson was placed on “Reserve-Injured” on Tuesday after suffering an ankle injury during training camp.

Wide receiver Greg Camarillo and offensive lineman Cory Lekkerkerker, two players that the Chargers released Saturday, were claimed on waivers by the Miami Dolphins Sunday. Camarillo and Lekkerkerker both played two seasons with Miami Head Coach Cam Cameron during Cameron’s tenure as the Bolts’ offensive coordinator.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    More charger rejects to the AFC East and to Miami :lol:

3. swishbish33

swishbish33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

I'm glad these two could hook on with the Chargers' minor league team...

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Miami gets AJ's scraps again.

Heheh...I knew it.

Oldie Out

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500

Wow... I'm happy with this PS. Eldra Buckley is a lucky guy, no way he 'has a job' if Gross and Race don't go down. I hope he makes the most of his good (mis) fortune, good luck young man.

Anyone know anything new/good about the 3 DLinemen esp Grennan?. I'm surprised they kept 3 of them and only 1 Olineman. :icon_shrug:

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Hmm, no surprise that Cam Cameron would be taking our scrubs.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Nope...they will suck anyways so they need the help. Just glad others take our scrubs instead of the other way around now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I can see why all of these undrafted free agents sign with us. They know if they get cut that they'll get to play on the Dolphins or Patriots.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm real happy Roach, Tucker and Leonard cleared waivers. Not surprised they kept two DE's, but I am surprised one of them wasn't Robinson.

10. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Glad to hear that Camarillo and Lekkerkerker were picked up... :tup:

11. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Absolutely, and in all reality, they are only sacrificing nicer beaches and a little bit of humidity. Miami is a nice place...to visit.:lol:

12. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I'm actually real happy they kept Andre Coleman instead. The guy stood out in minicamp, and every TC practice I went to it was clear from the extra coaching he was receiving the coaches liked him. He's a bit light in the ***( listed at 287, but looks more 278), but he is exceptionally quick. He also played at Albany last year, so this will be a redshirt year for him and next year, he will backup Castillo.

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, me too!! :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Ermmm... I wouldn't call Greg and Cory "scrubs"....

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    They are on this Chargers team. :yes:

16. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I'm glad roach made it to the practice squad. that guy played with his hair on fire much of this preseason.

17. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Camarillo was a career practice squader .. He was normally put in with the 3rd stringers during the preseason .. He was a scrub.

18. o-line protagonist

Ratings:
    +10
    I will disagree, but heh, every one has their own opinion.
    Lek is no scrub. Camarillo lacks but two things on a list of many[size and better than average speed]. They are solid players, to call them scrubs is a disservice to the time they spent with the team.

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Camarillo had no realistic chance of making this team .. Not the way Osgood plays on Special Teams. And, he had a pretty good preseason.

20. o-line protagonist

Ratings:
    +10
    I would have said that about Cletus Gordon myself...but hey, thats why I'm a poster and not an NFL coach.

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Exactly.

Camarillo wasn't as good as our other WR and we weren't going to keep a seventh. Six was even pushing it a little, but acceptable.

I was banging the Lekkerkerker drum for a whole year, wanting him to take over for Olivea at the RT spot, but reviewing some game tapes of when he was in, especially this preseason, he didn't play with the ferocity or the mentality that you would want from a physical tackle. Clary did play with that energy and that's why he ended up taking Cory's roster spot.

So, yeah, if they aren't good enough to make this Chargers' 53, they are scrubs TO US. Maybe not to other teams that are still looking for some talent.

I never said they didn't have any talent. Just that it wasn't enough to make the current Chargers roster. And if you aren't good enough to make the Chargers 53, you are a "scrub" to me. It's all relative. Camarillo and Lekkerkerker wouldn't be scrubs if they went to the Raiders, or as it turns out, the Dolphins, because their current players are about as good or worse as those two.

I found out something else regarding Clary that endeared him to my eyes, and made me a convert:

He was Sproles' RT at K-State.

Yup, remember all those highlight clips of Sproles' with the long runs in college? Notice most of them came on the right side, off the right tackle? That was Jeromey Clary blocking for Sproles and opening up those holes.

So Lekkerkerker's play compared to Clary's fiery passion made him "scrubbish". He didn't play with the intensity you want when building and maintaining a physical OL.

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Side note about Camarillo and the proof that if you ever leave the Chargers you truly become 'something useful'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3002525

As expected, the Dolphins aren't settled along the offensive line. They claimed and were awarded tackle Cory Lekkerker of the Chargers and guard Gene Mruczkowski of the Patriots. To make room for them, they released center Clint Ingram.

Perhaps a more interesting move was claiming wide receiver Greg Camarillo. Camarillo is the type of sure-handed receiver who reminds you of Wes Welker, whom they dealt to the Patriots during the offseason. In Chargers practices, Camarillo usually came up with one or two great catches a day. Head coach Cam Cameron was the Chargers offensive coordinator last season so he knows Camarillo and Lekkerker.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I guess I won't be seeing the entire Camarillo family sitting in the field section in front of me the entire game from now on. I always see them, Kassim's brother, and a few other player's families.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Tucker and Roach are two guys that really intrigue me. I'm glad they cleared waivers.

25. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Doesn't Kassim's brother have a job with the team? I sat behind the Chargers bench for the Seahawks game and a guy near me was communicating with a guy on the Chargers sideline he claimed was Kassim's brother.

What were they talking about, you ask? Apparently, and I kid you not, Kassim noticed a lady (also sitting near me) and wanted her phone number! I watched and listened to the whole deal go down. I felt like I was in the red light district. The women (who I didn't even think was very hot) gave up her number and spent the remainder of the game sitting up on the back of her chair, as if to say, "take a good look big boy". It was very funny, and, as I was there with my 12 year old son, weird.

26. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Yes I miss him, I had him in my 53 team.
    Maybe Cameron needs him like Camarillo and Lekkerkerker

27. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851