1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Practice Squad Set... No QB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers practice squad now full
    By Richard Wade@RichardWade on Sep 5, 2016

With two more signings to get to ten this afternoon, the San Diego Chargers practice squad is now full. The practice squad which is, just like the active roster, subject to change is now composed of the following players:

• TE Asante Cleveland
    • DT Kaleb Eulls
    • OLB Ben Gardner
    • WR Jonathan Krause
    • OLB Chris Landrum
    • S Adrian McDonald
    • TE Jake McGee
    • OT Austin Shepherd
    • WR Dom Williams
    • CB Trevor Williams
    The most interesting omission is that the Chargers are electing not to carry a quarterback on their practice squad. There was some thought that Mike Bercovici could be signed but he regressed and played very poorly in the last two preseason games.

It’s also somewhat of interest that the Chargers signed four players from other teams’ training camp rosters in Kaleb Eulls, Jonathan Krause, Jake McGee and Austin Shepherd.

The odds of any practice squad player becoming a future regular are rather long, but the players to watch in that regard are Adrian McDonald, Dom Williams, and Trevor Williams. All three could reasonably be at the bottom of a 53-man roster now and they are solid depth as the season starts next week.

2. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +532
    I like that they got to keep both Gardner and Landrum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
    I like that this is a good list.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I like Landrum. He's a better player than Larry English ever was and we all know where he was picked.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I see at least three if not four players that could be members of the Chargers regular roster next year, including one (McDonald) that I think should be a starter next year.

The QB thing was a surprise but I believe Bercovici succeeded in playing himself out of a roster spot. I'm a little surprised they decided not to carry any other QB especially one that was cut elsewhere.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Not that surprised..... What does McCoy care about next year? If he doesn't win now, he's looking for other employment.

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Agree, and Kellen Clemens could serve that purpose, allowing us to keep talent & depth at different positions on our PS. No running backs either, but we’ve got 4 & a fullback on our 53 man roster so I think either Andre Williams or Kenneth Farrow will fill that role for us, especially since one of them will likely be inactive on most game days.

8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I think it is not a good sign when our team is frequently dumpster diving in the garbage bins of other NFL teams.

Between the PS and the 53 man roster, we picked up a bunch of new players that other teams dumped.

That says something about the lack of talent on the roster.