1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

PRD...... Most important stat in football?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Passer rating differential (Offensive Passer Rating minus opposite team’s passer rating) is one of the biggest indicators of a winning team. In 2010, the team with the #1 PRD was the Green Bay Packers.

Read the article here: The Most Important Stat in Football

2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    It shows that if you have the worst special teams unit in NFL history, that you can still fall short of your goals.

It would also indicate that if we can fix that debacle, and keep the rest of the team running well, that we have a shot to go somewhere in the playoffs. We were +25.71 in PRD for 2010.

We were #3 in 2009 as well (only +18.89), and the Saints were #1....... they won the Super Bowl. The last two teams that were ranked #1 in PRD won it all.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the most important stat in football is how many Lombardis you own, nothing else matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wins are what matters.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415

Captain obvious to the rescue.

The point of stats is an attempt to analyze how teams achieve that ultimate goal so we can gauge the odds of who can do it in the future.

They're not always perfect but they're also not as useless as many like to make them out to be either.

Dismissing statistical analysis because "Lombardis (or wins) are all that matters!!!" is like telling businesses they should quit analyzing the market to see what's selling and what's not selling because "profit is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    ask a Patriots fan what is like going into a Superbowl with a team that is undeafeted.

You can have team with the #1 rated offense, the #1 rated defense, the #1 rated special teams, the #1 rated head coach, the #1 rated fans, the #1 rated cheerleaders, the #1 rated equipment manager. And unless you come home with a Lombardi, what good is have the the #1 rated anything?

Stats are over rated, you can skew them to say anything you want.

and isnt the business of Football to win Lombardis?

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Nobody's saying we should make trophies for statistical accomplishments, but that doesn't make them useless either (or overrated)

Yes, the business of football is to win Lombardis, but you can't just say "Go out there and win Lombardis!!!" You have to figure out how to do it.

For coaches that means drawing up a game plan and motivating the players. But for GMs that means analyzing who best fits the team. For sports journalists and armchair GMs that also means analyzing who is best for the team...only we just do it for conversational purposes since we have no real power. How does somebody, as an outsider not watching them play every game, analyze individual accomplishment? Through statistical analysis.

Yes, Lombardis are the end goal in the business of football, much like profit is the end goal in any "normal" business. But how do you get that? That's what statistics are trying to analyze. To plug your ears and say "just win" does nothing to add to the conversation.

9. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    So you want the statistics to indicate we are the best team ever to NEVER win a Lombardi? That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

10. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Stats are just gauges. The stats do not say we are the best team ever to NEVER win a Lombardi. They do indicate that we are close enough (statistically) to give us hope that we're not dead in the water. We have a much higher probability of winning the trophy than do the majority of other teams.

This PRD stat is what should be and probably is used in Power Polls and I can guarantee that Vegas likes this stat as well.

I'm not a huge fan of stats, but I will peruse them on occasion and they do hold weight when analyzing players. You can use stats to measure everything in this world and you'd be surprised with how much of this world has been measured statistically.

So, like Blue and Leo are sayin'...they are good indicators...they are not useless and overrated. If anything...they are underrated by those who don't see them as a valuable tool...(it's why I'm not a stats fan..and besides I was never that interested in the math).

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

I deal with stats all the time. If you want to argue who the best quarterback is based on his PRD go right ahead. I think I will continue to take a hammer to my foot and smash it every 37.2798 seconds. If you want to argue who has the best offense based on stats and performance ratings, I think I will go punch a few more holes in my wall with my head every 57. 7694 seconds. You can argue stats till the cows jump over the moon. Stats are one thing, and results are another. Talk is cheap; it’s the actions that speak. Because I am sick and tired of talking about how good we are when we have fans come in here from other teams asking us how many rings do we have and why is our trophy case bare!! And when we reply back at them that we have the #1 rated Quarterback based on his PRD they laugh at us and ask why he has not hoisted a Lombardi!

12. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    Without results, there are no stats. Without actions there are no stats. Stats and results are tied together. Talk is cheap..that's correct, and actions speak that is correct also...but when those actions speak, they give us stats. Those stats are used be people as information to...do I really have to explain this?

Think of how much better our team would be if our coaching staff and front office people did not use stats to help analyze our team. Right...we'd be picking first next year in the draft.

I'm not arguing stats...I'm just laying out some facts about what stats can do to help. They are valuable tools and if you dismiss them, then join the masses, close your eyes, cover your ears....lalaalalalla lalalalla allaallalla! "I can't hear you!"

Can you hear me now?

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    But Rivers isn't the #1 QB in PRD........ that's why we haven't won yet. ;)

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Has Rothlisburger been number one at anything other than public enemy?????

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I have been going to Charger games since 1970, and we still do not have a Lombardi, can you hear me now?

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Isn't that enough? ;)

17. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +542
    This ads nothing to the conversation.

The thread is about stats, specifically the PRD. We're all Charger fans here so we can all relate to the pain you feel.
    Some people even get help from therapists. When fans from other teams ask me how many Lombardi's we have, that
    just tells me that they are homers that use that question to change the subject.

I don't care how long you've been a fan. It holds no relevance to this thread. I care about this team. I'm a fanatic. An optimist. An optimistic fan.
    You say you deal with stats all the time...then why the dismissal of stats? Why overrated? Lombardi's have stats behind them.
    I would love to get the next 3 Lombardi's. Would I ask a fan from the Seahawks how many Lombardi's he has then? Probably...It's an
    easy way to deflect. Oh, and I will pore over the stats for the next 3 seasons...I will not just look at the Lombardi and say that it
    was because we were "lucky" and that the stats dont reflect any of it.

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and I dont care about stats. I want Lombardi! Its the ONLY way to measure a team!

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I got a ******* stat for ya - #1 offense and defense last year. where were we in January?

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    I was at home watching the playoffs......... where were you? ;)

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    nice article but it screams captain obvious

have a good qb that can produce points and have a good enough defense to stop the other guy.

great formula.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The only stat that pays is the one everyone remembers at the end of the year. The winner of the Super Bowl.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Speaking of Captain Obvious....... #imjustsaying ;)

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just proof that stats don't always tell the whole story because our defense was NOT the best defense in the NFL no matter what the stats say. They weren't terrible by any means, but they were far from the best

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    When your special teams gives up TDs and blocked punts, that's less time for the defense on the field, and more time for the offense. Therefore, both offensive and defensive stats are improved beyond what they normally be with a decent special teams unit.

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Look in the mirror, you know him well.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    No sense of humor, I guess.......... seems to be an epidemic around these parts. ;)

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Who is going to think about PRD if the Bolt's win the SB, not me.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think some of you made my point regarding our #1 offense/defense stats. Thanks.

BB, I watched some of the playoffs. Too bad no team competing was wearing Charger colors.

30. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and that is exactly why stats do not mean crap!

Why dont we all just sit around in a circle jerk and scream we have the best offense, or were #1. Stats work for the Fantasy People, in real life its measured by performance, and what do those stats say about our team?

Go into another teams fan forum screaming we have the best offense in the whole wide world, they are going to ask you how many Lombardis do we own. Then what is your answer.

BUT BUT BUT BUT we have the best Offense.

Who cares about that!