1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Draft 53 Man Roster - Where are we weakest?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    So here is my 53 man roster with who is currently on our roster. Obviously this is not what it will look like after training camp but its a good look at where we really are weak at. Giving Troutman the start at RG though I doubt that happens. Assuming Stevie Johnson fills in as the Slot Receiver. Put Reyes in at LDE but very likely Ricardo Mathews can pass him as the starter in camp. Put Tourek Williams in as the starter at OLB right now as he is the best run stuffer of the 4 we have. Attachou will be in on passing downs. Doubt Melvin even comes off the field this year. Assuming Steve Williams in penciled in as the Nickel back but Patrick Robinson or Jimmy Wilson may take that spot. I can almost see why McCoy\Telesco are saying they are happy at RB. I'd rather BO and Brown platoon at RB with Woodhead mixed in then start the year with Johnny Troutman starting at RG or have Alvin Scioneaux as one of our ILB backups. We have no depth there right now. So here are my area's of need in order of importance:

#1 - OL - RG or Tackle and push Fluker inside. This pick makes the RB need less.
    #2 - OLB - Not ready for Tourek to start.
    #3 - NT - Carrethers could become the starter but I would prefer an upgrade
    #4 - ILB - Need depth here badly
    #5 - RB - Need a primary back and we can probably get an upgrade in rounds 1-4 here
    #6 - SS - If Addae can stay healthy, he can probably lock down this position
    #7 - WR - If Pettis doesn't pan out in camp, we will have weak depth

Offense – 25

QB Philip Rivers Kellen Clemens
    RB Branden Oliver Danny Woodhead Donald Brown
    WR Keenan Allen Jacoby Jones Austin Pettis
    FB David Johnson
    TE Antonio Gates Ladarius Green John Phillips
    LT King Dunlap Jeremiah Sirles
    LG Orlando Franklin Craig Watts
    C Chris Watt Trevor Robinson
    RG Johnny Troutman Kenny Wiggins
    RT DJ Fluker Bryce Quigley
    WR Malcom Floyd Stevie Johnson Dontrelle Inman

Defense – 25

LDE Kendall Reyes Ricardo Mathews Damik Scafe
    NT Ryan Carrethers Sean Lissemore
    RDE Corey Liuget Tony Palepoi
    OLB Melvin Ingram Jeremiah Attachou
    ILB Manti Teo Kavell Connor
    ILB Donald Butler Alvin Scioneaux
    OLB Tourek Williams Cordarro Law
    LCB Jason Verrett Steve Williams Patrick Robinson
    RCB Brandon Flowers Chris Davis Richard Crawford
    SS Jahleel Addae Jimmy Wilson
    FS Eric Weddle Darrell Stuckey

Special Teams – 3

LS Mike Windt
    P Mike Scifres
    K Nick Novak

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Based on that Roster...

#1 I think we are pretty much set in the secondary with good depth already at Corner and Safety.
    #2 We could use some better quality depth at Inside Linebacker as I'm not sure of what we have behind Butler and Te'o (and what if Butler stinks it up a second year in a row?!)
    #3 If a quality Defensive Lineman is available in the first couple of rounds I think they will get a serious look in to upgrade the Nose or ends.
    #4 Right Guard is a glaring hole for the Chargers and I think this will definitely get filled in the drafts early rounds. Either a Right Tackle or Guard WILL be taken in the first two rounds IMO.
    #5 The Running Back spot is filled with quality backups...but no bonifide starter!! First pick of the drafts is odds on to be a RB in my opinion! Gurley or Gordon?? I wonder who it will be...
    #6 Receivers are pretty much set I reckon. Maybe a later round pick will be selected if there is someone they like available.

So to summarise, I can see the chargers looking at the following positions in the draft, in this order;

#1 Running Back
    #2 Right Guard or Tackle
    #3 Defensive Lineman
    #4 Inside linebacker

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Nice post, MadMike,
    The weakest link IMHO is Troutman. The RG position needs to be addressed.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'm with Fossil we can do better on the right side of O line, either bring Fluker in and play say Ereck Flowers at RT or bring in a G in draft to supplant Trout.

Having said that our LB corps can sure do with some improvement too. Both inside and out.

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I'd say;

NT: Plug a big body in the middle and the rest will play itself out, Even Keuchly who is the best ILB in the league arguably got better once they brought in Star Lotuleilei

RB: We need a game changer in the backfield, The offense moves a lot smoother when their is a consistent run game

RG: The rest of the line is pretty set, whether its Fluker or another this spot can and needs to be upgraded

OLB: Ingram and Attaochu provide enough pressure, they just lack the big sacks

WR: We still need another wideout who can eventually develop into a starter

ILB: this position can be filled by either a FA or late round draft pick

TE: Green needs to have a Martellus Bennett re resurgence with us or this spot might be higher, Gates isn't getting any younger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We will not take a RB in round 1. The value is just not there. We have bigger needs. We need beef. I would also argue that WR is a bigger need than RB. We need a young WR that can keep a defense honest with his deep speed.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Gates average and Green good? :whistling:

Boltz.JPG

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah I agree with pretty much all of it except those two, and Donald Brown needs to be in red.

Also Flowers and Franklin are missing, both greens.

I'd say our biggest issues are...DE, RG, RB, OLB in that order. Although I'd still pick Cam Erving in the first round, and just move Watt to RG.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    OMG what a load of the proverbial that depth chart color thingie is. It's like they gave a coloring pencil to a 3 yr old kid and said have at it.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    They grade on a per snap count. Green catching 19 or 25 looks better than gates 69 or 98. Though it is strange they have grades for Watt and Robinson but nothing on Verrett, Attaochu, or Carrethers

13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Gates tied for the league lead as a TE for TDs (12)..... same as Gronkowski. Grading per snap count is worthless if the two players don't play anywhere near the same amount of plays.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Malcolm Brown is becoming my guy through and through as we approach the Draft.

As far as the Right side of the line, I still prefer a RT and moving Fuker to the inside, if both pan out it'll be like getting a 2 for 1 deal, not to mention our offensive line would be a tier below Dallas but one up above almost everyone else.

I've also had a feeling Tevin Coleman will be playing in a Chargers Uni next year, Aside from him being an Indiana RB (we know how much Telesco loves him some ND and Indiana players) Coleman's downside for me was he didn't seem like a 3 down back, like Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi and all the other top tier RB's But then it hit me, the other guys aren't going anywhere, adding a 2nd or 3rd round RB to be a rotational runner looks a lot better than a 1st round one.

Lorenzo Maulden, Kyle Emanuel, and Hau'oli Kihaka are 3 pass rushers I'd love to have in this order.

My Dream mock would look like
    DT Malcolm Brown
    RB Tevin Coleman
    RG Tre Jackson
    WR Chris Conley
    OLB Kyle Emanuel
    ILB Trey Depriest

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    True, but they don't do this for our enjoyment they do this to show the positives and negatives of players for NFL teams.

Gronk gets a better score because he is also one of the better blockers in the league, where Gates is not.

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    • Like Like x 1
  17. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Mad Mike - I think the single biggest weakness, but not the only weakness, is our DL. I also think the single most effective thing we can do is to improve the offense is to improve run defense, pass defense, scoring defense, and third down efficiency. In other words, give the offense one or two extra opportunities per game, with better field position, and having to score fewer points. It may just be hope, but I think with Carrethers back from injury that he will do an acceptable job at NT. In my view, getting an upgrade for Reyes will have the single greatest impact on defense, and ultimately on offense. The Chargers signed Unrein (not on your list of 53), but I'm not sure how they are viewing him. I like M. Brown a lot, since he can play all three positions, doesn't have to come off the field, and is excellent against the run and pass, so if he were available, I would take him first. If he isn't available, then I would probably take BPA and find my DL in the next round. We do need OL, RB, and LBs.

18. BoltsUK88

BoltsUK88 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Mike on #1, I was previously in the camp of taking a RB in R1, but now I'm swinging towards completing the OL with the BPA at G or T and I'd like to see Ajayi taken later. Please upgrade that DL, our OLB have potential but no help up front.

19. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I think you have to look at this as a 2-3 round projection, instead of just first round. For instance, if this is the board when we pick

Bud Dupree
    Todd Gurley
    Melvin Gordon
    Ereck Flowers
    Malcom Brown

I think you have to go Dupree here, even though he may not necessarily be the best player and here's why. If we pass on him, trying to fill that position in the next two rounds looks like Orchard, Mauldin maybe Kikaha. Pretty much a bunch of meh. Whereas, if we pass on Gurley/Gordon we could still come up with Ajayi/Coleman/Johnson/Yeldon in the 2nd or 3rd, not quite as good, but good solid pros. Pass on Flowers, we can still come up with Cann, Tomlinson, Williams, Havenstein, Jackson, Miller, Poutasi plenty of guys to play RG in the 3rd and possibly 4th. Malcom Brown would be tough to pass on, but you may be able to come away with Carl Davis, Gabe Wright, Michael Bennett someone to do the job. Again, Brown would be tough to pass on bc the DL class gets lean too imo, but impact OLB pass rushers are harder to find than 34 DL.

While on this, why are we not talking Carl Davis? I don't think he's worth the 17, but he's a fringe 1st to mid 2nd rounder. Has experience in a 2-gap scheme at Iowa and would be a nice NT for us, I like his game a lot

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I get where you're going and would actually love to have Bud Dupree, but I think we're more likely to leave an edge rusher off the board until 3rd or 4th. Although my thinking may sound foolish but I truly believe they really like Melvin Ingram, and just traded up to get Attaochu (who they really love) Adding a guy in the first 2 rounds typically means they get first crack at the starter position unless they get un seated. Much like almost everyone will count out on us going CB in the first.

I think the 1st round is most likely slated for us going offensive line (RG/RT) or D line (NT/DE)

As far as RB goes, my favorite is still Ajayi. But I'm leaning in a different direction I think we're destined to have Tevin Coleman as our leading rusher. We know Telesco typically agrees and respects Polians thoughts, who said his favorite RB in this draft is Tevin Coleman, And we always seem to end up with someone from a Utah or Indiana school.

21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    Fowler is the best OLB in this draft. It might be worth trading up he falls out of the top 12. If not go with Gregory or Dupree in the 1st. I really think Gurley will fall to #48. Tomlinson or Muladin in the 3rd.

22. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Chargers sign guard Michael Huey
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 31, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    Another of the NFL’s Veteran Combine invitees has found a job in the league.

The Chargers have signed offensive guard Michael Huey, the team said Tuesday. This is his second stint with the club; he spent time with San Diego in the 2011 preseason.

A Texas product, the 26-year-old Huey was with Washington’s practice squad in the second half of last season. His most extensive professional experience has come in the Arena Football League.

Overall, 105 players took part in the NFL Veteran Combine. In addition to Huey, three other Combine invitees have signed on with clubs: tight end Ifeanyi Momah(Arizona), wide receiver Nathan Slaughter (Arizona) and cornerback Deveron Carr (Indianapolis).

In other Chargers roster moves Wednesday, the club waived second-year offensive guard Jeff Baca and first-year nose tackle Chas Alecxih.

23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    T.J. Clemmings is another possibility to be taken by the Bolts in the first round. Check it out. OT, University of Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Some of the adds & releases are real head scratchers... This guy Huey, how can he be worth bringing in over Baca and/or Chas?

At the very least the latter 2 have been here a while and know the system. It's not like Huey has a chance of being in the O lineman room Sept 1. I'm hoping we take a RG/RT in round 1 or 2 and go with the likes of Sirles and Wiggins as backups, maybe bring that guy Hairston from Buffalo in.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Areas that we are the weakest

1. DL - some good depth/role players but need another premium talent, maybe at NT
    2. OLB - two starters with questions and a single backup without anything to show for it
    3. RB - Need a stud
    4. OL - need that final piece
    5. S - need a possible successor to Weddle and possibly a real SS

26. jmoods55

jmoods55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Owner

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
  28. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It's really depressing because I liked him a lot coming out of the draft. He may just be a better fit as a 3 tech, or wearing a name tag at Red Lobster.

29. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^Wearing a tag, or being at the bottom of the lobster tank?

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Hi guys! I am new here, but my thoughts as to where we are weakest based upon all factors are:

1. NT: Carrethers--potential, but unproven and coming off of injury. Lissemore--too small. With the good NTs likely off the board before #48, if we are going to improve here, it seems like it will have to be first round or bust.

2. OLB: We lost two and there is a huge drop off in quality after Ingram and Attaochu who both have had injury issues. I would like to see us get one in round 2 and later in the draft.

3. OT/OG: I think Fluker might be better at OG than OT, but our other draft needs might force us to take an OG where we can get quality a little later in the draft than at OT. We could also use a good swing OT for depth (better than Smith).

4. RB: I wish we had re-signed Mathews (who ended up being dirt cheap) and cut D. Brown (post June 1 designation), but we didn't, so we need to get a primary ball carrier and will need another RB if we want to part ways with D. Brown.

5. ILB: I am not sold on any of our ILBs, but Te'o could still develop more and Butler could rebound. I think Conner is a decent run stopper. I like S. Anthony, but do not see how we can draft him with our other needs if he is a round 2-3 guy.

6. LDE: This problem could go away if we drafted a good NT and kicked Lissemore outside to compete with Mathews. I would like to move away from Reyes except in clear passing situations.

7. CB: Verrett, Flowers and S. Williams are good cover guys, but are undersized. We could add a bigger, longer, more physical CB to be used in select matchups/situations.

8. WR: I would love us to add some speed, but already have 6 experienced NFL WRs. I like the idea of Chris Conley in round 4, but realize that it is not our most immediate need.

9. TE: Gates is up there in years, so we will need a second receiving TE to team with Green pretty soon.

10. QB: The team has control over Rivers for 3 years (with the use of franchise tags if there is no new contract). A good QB should be taken in one of the next 2-3 drafts to be groomed as Rivers' ultimate replacement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1