1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pre-Season Game 2 impressions...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,505
    And I don't want to see Starks starting. I can now see why he's been a career backup.

Downgrading the RT position is not an acceptable swap for upgrading the RG position, in my opinion.

2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    RE: Special Teams.
    Berman said McCoy wasn't fielding his regular-season STs during the preseason just to keep everyone fresh and uninjured, and that McCoy was unapologetic about it.
    With Boltz injury background, I think that's a good call as long as the regular crew doesn't F up the first regular season game or two because they haven't been practicing together enough.
    BTW: How in the name of Ed Hochuli did Bostic's hit on Willie NOT get called as an illegal hit on a defenseless receiver? The zebras can't claim he was a runner because the play was ruled incomplete!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Look at the replay again.

Willie didn't catch the ball in the air, his feet were on the ground, and he took two steps before getting decleated. It was a vicious hit, but a legal one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    He's also being asked to work without any assistance or help because he's playing next to Clary (who more times than not is having to be given help by Hardwick). That's where I'd contend that even a guy who is barely better or even slightly worse in terms of physical ability but at least has cleaner technique and follows the play design better (like Dombro) would be better for Fluker's development than Clary is. It's not easy to retrain the brain and the brain-to-body tendencies once they're learned. Starks struggles with speed rushers... hell, pop him in at RG and give him a shot there because he sure as hell isn't the solution at LOT. The continued faith in Clary to me is a bit disconcerting because RG has proven time and time again to be a position that is the easiest on the OL to unearth quality options from far deeper in draft classes and even UDFA's (those guys just tend to be converted OT's who have to bulk up some like Alex Boone).

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    The refs were by and large terrible last night. The fact that the first holding call wasn't issue until the 3rd quarter (and granted Harris' hold was blatant, but so were numerous holds from both our and the Bears' OL in the first half), when I saw shoulderpad flaps up covering earholes more times than I could count last night. My babysitter, who knows only the most basic rules of football, say Baker get brought down last night, twisting in such a way that he had to have been grabbed either by the collar of his shoulderpads or the facemask because his he twisted and follow his shoulders around 180 degrees from the direction he'd been facing, and even SHE was shocked there was no call made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Engh... not quite legal. The league has rules against lowering your helmet and using the crown of the helmet as a weapon (i.e. spearing/battering ram style hitting) particularly to the head (and the receiver doesn't have to be defenseless for that). It was an illegal hit, and if Art Shell holds to trend, Bostic will be receiving a fine this week (assuming they fine in the preseason).

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    It looks borderline to me...... his whole body is leaning forward (so obvious his head would be too). He hits Willie with his shoulder more than his head. It all depends on what angle you see the play from.

[​IMG]

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    My initial reaction was that there should have been a flag - but after watching the replay I'd say it's just a good solid hit. He hit him with the shoulder, like they're supposed to. I would be praising the player who laid the wood if he was a Charger so gotta be fair and give the guy credit ya know?

Also, I have to say, I was pretty impressed with Willie for not letting it get to him. He bounced right back and had a nice game overall.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +317
    Yep., it was a clean hit. .that's football...but dude gets up and scores two TD's afterwards.....that's man's game!!!
    I like this Willie cat., we need tough guys like this on this team...he impressed the hell outta me!!!

Uh....Starks...what a hot mess.....we brought him in why????:cautious:
    Philip got tattooed last night because of this clown. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    My initial sense was that it was helmet to helmet.

None of the replay angles led me to feel 100% sure of that though...
    Or to disprove it.

If I had to wager, I'd still probably take "illegal hit"...
    especially given the direction the rules have taken...

11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    Sounds like Willie got his "wake up" call, then got involved by making two scores. Where did he come from? A Sun Devil?

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Philip falls on the grenade for Starks....... but we aren't buying it. ;)

Rivers Takes 100% Of The Blame
    Aug 16th, 2013 at 8:46 am by Peter Thompson

[​IMG]

Last night Philip Rivers was the victim of a strip-sack that turned the ball over to the Bears in our first road game of the preseason. Shea McClellin blew past Max Starks, who didn’t even seem to touch him, and Rivers was taken down from behind. This was not only a bad play, but a major step back for the offensive line, who protected River’s blindside well in the previous game against the Seahawks. Just when it looked like Rivers was starting to get comfortable with the protection in game one, this type of thing happens. Surprisingly, here is what Philip Rivers had to say about it in a post game interview by Charger.com.

We got beat one time. The other time, the sack-fumble was 100% my fault. I was too deep. I looked at the picture and saw it right away. It was absolutely perfect by the left tackle. He’s running the guy by him 10-plus yards deep, and there I am standing there. But I can fix that. That’s already been fixed right now. And you start to see there’s the difference between a gimme touchdown to Vincent Brown or a sack fumble.”

Philip Rivers seemed to be holding onto the ball a little bit too long last night, but I can’t put that one on him. I appreciate that he is taking the blame (as usual), but Starks didn’t even get a hand on McClellan! It was as if he wasn’t even in the game. I will admit that when we brought Max Starks in, I was confident he would beat out a less experienced Dunlap. But, watching that play, and his performance this far in the preseason.. I sure hope Dunlap doesn’t get hurt. I never thought I would hear myself say that. In fact, if you read the rest of River’s comments about the game in that interview, it’s like he was watching a different game entirely. It sounded like a Norv interview to me. I can understand staying positive, and saying you will fix it, but that was an awful outing for the first unit. I sure hope he starts to take on his new coaches attitude, and ditches the old coaches’ persona. Cross your fingers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Gotta admire the QB who is willing to take all the blame.

But like in the case of Norv...I'm not sure it helps anybody long term.

14. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +189
    About the QBs:

1- I liked what I saw of Sorenson. The guy has a good arm, a good thinker and has showed some poise out there against the other 3rd and 4th stringers.

2- CBJ looked so much better this game than the first one. After the Seahawks game I was all for cutting him from the team right then.

3- I don't know what to think of Rivers anymore. I still see a guy with talent and he looked very okay in game 1. Not stellar but he moved the chains. I missed him in game 2 (at work), but the stats say he had a crappy day and from the sound of things he got little help out there from the o-line.

PS>>> Also Max Starks is showing he is no all-pro and probably not a starter on a team praying to find a LT.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    He's looking more like his old self and in this case the stats are misleading. INT was on Allen getting his feet tied up w/ the DB, ball was where KA should have been. Sack fumble was all Starks. Gates killed a nice drive w/ a bonehead drop.

• Like Like x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Personally, I just see a guy who's body hasn't caught up to his brain in this new system yet. Even if Allen doesn't stumble it's still a difficult catch requiring a dive right in front of a safety. He also threw a pass on the first drive that was way ahead of Gates' break....the opposite of last week when he was a step behind the receivers.

He did seem to drop back too far on the Starks sack, giving McClellin the angle, but the Gates drop wasn't his fault.

My concern is maybe at a 2/10 right now, if he still looks gittery in game 3 I'll probably move it up to a 4/10. If he still struggles in week 4....then I'm going to be very concerned about a ****** start to the season, with the hope it finishes out like 2007.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Don't know how much of the offense is just plain old vanilla but the run game looked to be working fine. Rivers did seem to be holding on to the ball longer than necessary, now that is concerning if the WR's can't squeak out some space.

18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Me too. The view I saw on the TV showed the helmet to helmet contact better. It also looked like an illegal hit on a defenseless player. But the call wasn't made and apparently NFL didn't levy a fine. Interestingly, Troutman got fined $17.5k for ...IIRC... a crackback block.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    The thing is if the tables were turned and the call had been on us, like when Ingram hit Brees last year, we'd be defending it. JMO If it was helmet to helmet it was only because of the whiplash motion Willies head made after clean contact to the chest.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    So sorry, this is not borderline at all. Look at the position of his (The tacklers) head at the initial contact It is down on his chest. Contact brings his head up as the receivers head goes back. That is clean. If the roles were reversed most of you would be saying the same thing. Homers, the lot of you! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Uh, I wasn't the one calling it a dirty hit....... did you miss that, Conc?

I said borderline, because I can't see where his head is during impact...... he's blocked in that view from Willlie's body. It's still possible the top of his helmet hit Willie in the chin, which would still be illegal. I can't see that though from the clip. As I said before, your interpretation of that hit can change, based on what angle you saw it from.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    what I was inferring to was that even if we go 4-0 in the preseason it doesnt dictate how well/bad we do in the reg season ala STL RAMS. We cant put much stock in the results of these exhibition games is my point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I got what you were saying and agree--PS games as a whole are useless indicators of how a season goes--they're tryouts for 3/4 of the game. However, the first quarter can give you some clue of how your starters will perform.
    I was saying that 2-14 isn't going to happen with or without Ws in the PS. Then again, the injuries are piling up...

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    :poop: for Clowney? ;)

25. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +317
    It's PR conducting PR......nicey-nice PR knew he got slaughtered on that play.
    This was the one play that scared the hell outta me watching live.
    Starks might as well had a lounge chair out there..., freak'n unacceptable. :mad: :tdown:

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    And people said Clary was slow-footed. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Not to mention Dunlap was out there the next snap after Starks let PR get hit

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Spend a #1 on another injury prone player? Sure, why not!

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Not every player who gets hurt is "injury prone."

If for some reason we have the #1 pick it probably means Rivers either got hurt, or failed miserably in this new scheme....in which case get ready for the Teddy Bridgewater era to begin.

30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294

I do agree there is a few things that us fans as well as the big men in charge, coaches can learn about the future solely based on these pre season games. I dont fully agree at all about anything involving the starting team other than it does give a clue about team continuety but I feel the Pseason is more about the chemistry building and scenario preparation (much like NE goin for a 2pt convo jus for the hell of it vs TB yesterday) In that I loved what I saw out of the overall Defense. They did a good job as a team to do their goal and prevent points as well as prevent a few personaly by finding that turnover.

Injuries at WR, however have definatly changed our odds on gettin to #2 in the AFC West. IMO this is THE YEAR FOR PR TO PLAY LIKE PR. I hope I can see as many of this years games as possible. I got a good feeling about my favorite QB this year.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1