1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pre-Season Game 2 impressions...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Another thing I forgot to mention ref game 2, how good did Long look?, wow so much for that pick being a reach. He looked like an All Pro RG.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    It's only pre season but the Bolts are ranked 6th in yards allowed (262) and 2nd in passing yards given up (126)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    Yes, it's only preseason, but the Raiders rank 28th, the Broncos 30th, and the Chiefs last at 32 for passing
    yards through the first 2 preseason games. What does this mean? Are they trying to establish run games
    or do they just suck in the passing game so far, or are their opponents pass defenses tough?
    Combination of all plus other factors?
    Who cares? Will this translate to the regular season?
    It's too early to tell.
    I hope the trend continues for them. We'll see...

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    In fairness, Liuget was out after the first series. Pretty sure Reyes was yanked shortly thereafter (I don't recall seeing him in action in the 2nd quarter). And the officials had a moratorium on calling holding penalties until the 3rd quarter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Preseason is still to long for me and I can remember when they played six of these games. I reckon back in the day it was necessary for guys to work into football shape as they had to work their "real" job in the off season. What I don't understand though, is why these guys are in such top notch physical condition and still drop like flies. It's true today's players are bigger, faster and stronger but for whatever the reason they seem more fragile. Here is to hoping the Bolts can manage to get through the reset of preseason without further injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
  7. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    Looks like the league saw the hit same way I did.
    Hit on Chargers receiver draws big fine
    Jon Bostic penalized $21,000 for third-quarter shot to Mike Willie

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/aug/21/mike-willie-jon-bostic-fine-chargers-bears-hit/

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    What's of greater interest......

NFL announces Antonio Smith suspension through Week 1
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 21, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT

The NFL has officially announced what was widely expected: Texans defensive end Antonio Smith has been suspended for the last two games of the preseason and the first game of the regular season.

For the rest of the preseason, Smith will be allowed to attend team meetings, but not to practice. Beginning on Saturday, August 31, and continuing through the Texans’ regular-season opener against the Chargers on Monday, September 9, Smith is not allowed to participate in meetings, practices or any other team activities. He will be allowed to re-join the team on Tuesday, September 10.

10. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    Attending and participating are two different things? Hmmm..weird.

11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    People have been known to say weird things the day after they received concussions.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Nice try, but there's no report of Willie being concussed. He stayed in the game, and made plays.

13. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    It wouldn't be the first time a player didn't report to the sidelines following a concussive hit.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I agree. I said at the time that I thought it probably was a penalty, but that
    I didn't feel I could confirm from the angles/speed they kept replaying it at...so I didn't feel
    strongly about it. So there is some satisfaction in knowing that professionals,
    (with all day to review it, from every camera angle they have, and in super slo-mo)
    came to the same conclusion...and felt strongly enough to contradict the no-call on the field.

That said, I think it was close enough, that if the NFL had ruled differently,
    I wouldn't have been surprised or upset.
    Bang-bang play, shoulder and head almost too close to call...

p.s.: Now, about the tripping no-call that led to the interception...

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    It was a great play and I'd bet Willie never gets caught with his pants down again. Dude could be the Bolts Hines Ward and I'm all for that!!!!!!

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Except you have no evidence to support he had a concussion. When a player has a concussion, it usually is apparent. Willie didn't look disoriented, and he got right back up after the hit. He went on to make some clutch catches in the game. I saw no signs that he was impaired in any way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    It's a play that had the roles been reversed, every one of our fans would have been cheering for the guy making the hit. There wasn't anything blatantly illegal about it - Willie wasn't a "defenseless receiver." At best they can get him for lowering his head and using the crown of his helmet as a weapon which is a fine-able offense but largely only because the rules are so lacking in specifics and open to interpretation.

That said, the kid would do to learn to keep his head up when he tackles and use more proper form or else he's going to risk ending up like Kevin Everett that used to play for the Bills before he broke his neck and paralyzed himself. Despite the fact that the big to-do is about preventing concussions, the league getting on the whole "leading with you helmet"/"launching into an opponent" bit is also to help curtail the high risk of neck injuries to players who do so using crap technique and just trying to lay big wood.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    just had a couple thought after rewatching the game if you guys watch the play where willie gets hit he instantly flipped over and started looking down field for a defender because he thought he fumbled the dude is freakin tough that play alone should get him on the roster let alone his 2 tds also in the play with pr's interception even though keenan allen got tripped up he still managed to tip the ball i know alot of you guys think philips timing was off on that play but if allen hadnt got tripped up and he takes another step before the ball gets to him then that ball is right on target and he gets a first down and who knows what would happen on that drive now to the play where philip got hit from behind starks should not be on the field for any play with a drop 5 steps or longer period with that being said i think in the short passes and run game he could still be a decent lt nobody panic i think this offense could still put up enough points on the board that if our d plays well we will win games go bolts

19. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Scored 2 TD's after that play.

The NFL said it was a great hit, but fined him anyway.

Roger the Dodger.

20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Punctuation is your friend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    Here's an eHow article about concussions:

Concussion Symptoms & Treatment
    Physical Symptoms
    Physical symptoms of head trauma such as a concussion often are easily identified. One common symptom is that the dog loses consciousness for a brief period--although this is not always the case. A less-severe blow may render the dog simply woozy or disoriented. Other signs of a concussion include sickness. A dog may be sick to his stomach and refuse to eat or drink, or he may eat normally and vomit frequently. Dilated pupils, in either eye or both, in the presence of bright light is another common indicator of concussion or other head trauma. Seizures occasionally accompany serious concussions as well.
    Behaviors
    Changes to the dog's behavior can indicate head trauma or concussion. After a blow to the head, a dog may be lethargic, excessively tired and act disoriented. The dog may not come when his name is called, play or go through his normal activities. Additionally, he may attempt to sleep excessively and be difficult to wake. He may allow his head to hang rather than sit upright and could show signs of pain, yelping, recoiling or snarling when the bruised area is touched.
    Cause for Concern
    A concussion requires medical attention quickly to ensure that a more serious brain injury, such as a skull fracture, swelling and bleeding, has not occurred. Symptoms of a concussion are similar to those of more traumatic injuries and require immediate treatment. Seizures and unconsciousness are common in cases of a canine concussion, but may also be present in severe brain trauma. Lethargy resulting from a concussion actually could be weakness and paralysis indicative of a more serious brain or spinal injury.

Note: This was primarily written for dogs (Canine-Americans), but I'm pretty sure I heard Willie yelping at one point but I can't be sure. The volume on my TV is so low that when you get close enough to hear you can't really see the entire screen at the same time.

22. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Donald Butler retweeted Lance Briggs' opposition to Bostic's fine, so Willie isn't the only Charger player to think it's ridiculous.

23. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Haha ya just realized I didnt put one period or comma or anything. OOPS

24. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    There was some taunting involved right after the hit. Still no flag.
    Anyway, Game 3 vs. AZ will likely feature some more Willie. He's
    starting to get some attention and it's all positive so far. Getting open
    and making plays...hope he keeps stepping up his game.