1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Preemptive end of the season poll

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Nov 24, 2008.

?

What happens to the HC at season's end?

1. FIRE NORV!!!

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nothing.

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Choose the fate of the Chargers Head Coach

• If you choose FIRE NORV - Choose a new HC
    • If you choose NOTHING - Explain how he stays after this fiasco

I choose FIRE NORV and Promote Ron Rivera or Hire Jim Harbaugh.

Please, no arguing, just follow the guidelines. Let's keep the flaming in the other 8.3 billion Norv threads.

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    NORV stays, AJ likes him and he has another year on his contract so Spanos will not let him go

3. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Fire Norv and try to entice Pete Carroll.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Isn't he coaching the Ravens?

5. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    No, his brother John is.

Jim is HC of Stanford.

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Norv is not the problem it is the pussies we have on defense and AJ's stupid decisions to extend and waste money on mediocre or poor players. Employing the type of offense we are doing right now is fine and it's how the Patriots won all their superbowls... the problem is that we are paying like 6 million more per season to our running back than the Patriots paid to theirs when they won all those bowls and that money can be used towards a stud defensive player. Employing this offense all we need is a running back who can #1) secure the ball and not fumble #2) pound it and grind out tough yards.... and then we need a 3rd down back who can catch passes and we have a couple of those.

AJ didn't have the balls to let the face of the franchise go even though he said he wants to mimic new england and knew that's what needed to be done. AJ you are a man of no character.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    What I want -

Fire Norv

Tell AJ to do his job and bring in good talent. Tell the front office to get their collective heads out of their collective asses and hire a coaching staff that knows the game (cira 2008). (yes, if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin) (see the pick play last night)

What will happen

Norv stays, AJ makes a splash in F/A fills the seats with hope, the Bolts stay at the Murph one more year. Spanos makes a ton of money then moves the team to (insert your favorite city here)

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Norv is gone... I want Brian Billick.
    If he chooses to keep Rivera as DC, that would be good. Otherwise... most likely Marvin Lewis will be available and I guarantee Billick would give him a call. Marvin will take the offer too unless another team gives him an offer as HC.

Cowher wouldn't be a bad idea either but there is this stipulation... AJ must go. No ifs, ands, or buts!!! Neither Billick, Cowher, or any other coach that's been to the Super Bowl and won it will put up with his s***!

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    C'mon dude, keep it civil. Lose the ranting please, at least for ONE THREAD.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I am. There is no ranting here. You really think someone like Cowher would be willing to work with AJ?

One thing for sure... AJ better not even consider picking his assistants.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I want Norv fired, AJ taken out of the coach-hiring decisions.

I don't want a retread coach, I'd like someone new like Chris Petersen (HC Boise State)

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Nothing is going to happen. Spanos will not pay Norv to sit at home or coach for someone else.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

I think you're right, specially since Rivera is showing improvement with the D, the FO will want to see the current coaching staff together one full season

But I DO want Norv fired

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Freakin' deduct it from AJ's salary. I know that's not possible but just a thought.

Spanos is going to have to decide if saving that money is worth dismantling a possible Super Bowl contention.
    The players are going to be extremely pizzed about another season of Norv. He may regress us to a 1-15 team.

15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    They will keep Norv for another year, he has one more year left, they like him, and it's not 100% his fault. Yeah, there is some play calling issues I disagree with (3rd and 1, and we throw a pass 30 yards down field) I don't like that play call with our 2 big Tight ends available.

WE ARE NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR.

But Norv and Ron will be back. Merriman will be back next year, and the players will look back on this Cluster F**k 2008 season, and say "Man, we totally f**ked up our SB season". :icon_huh:

It's easy to look at our piss poor record, but it's easy to look at 2 losses as time expired, the Denver fiasaco in the final few seconds on the blown ref call, and the Pittsburgh winning field goal with a few seconds left.

If the defense doesn't give up those drives, and makes a stop on 3rd down, we are 4-0 those games, or at least an overtime chance angainst Indy.

4 losses in the final 25 seconds, with 2 of those as time expired. We are that close to being 8-3 playing not our best football.

Here's to a SB run in '09 :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    It's tough to say who I want at HC.

On one hand, I would love to see some new young determined blood, but I don't know if this veteran team is going to respond well to a guy getting his feet wet.

So on the other hand, I guess bringing in an established DC would be my choice. Right now I wouldn't be able to hand pick him either.

Maybe Rivera is our guy, at least he is in house, and right now I don't think bringing in someone who needs to build a repore witht he players from scratch is going to result in the quick fix we all feel CAN happen with this group of players.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Bringing in a head coach from a small college to the pros is a recipe for disaster. Norv has at least one more year here.

18. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I want Norv's *** fired... but AJ will keep his sorry behind as the HC and we'll spend the 2009 season wishing Marty was coach again.

How did this team get so F'ed up so fast? I still remember being 14-2.

We've been Norved.

19. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I hear Lane Kiffen is free

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He's a good coach. I wouldn't mind seeing him here at all!

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I thought you wanted someone with a ring...:icon_shrug:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I do. As I said "I wouldn't mind." Not he's my top choice.

WTF is up with you today?!!! :icon_shrug:

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Lane for OC, not HC.

24. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    It all depends on the last 5 games.

If we go 9-7 or 8-8, he'll be back for another year.
    Will they seriously bring back a HC who's had this much talent to work with and has staggered to a 6-10 record?
    How can they? AJ's credibility would be zero.

No matter who the HC is, we need an OC with the ability to use all these gifts and who has BALLS!!

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd LIKE to see Norv agree to step back to OC & Rivera given a chance as HC with he & Pagano handling the D.

What I THINK will happen is business as usual. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    that would be best case senario with the people we have. Norv would NEVER go for it.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    If we finish 8 and 8 or worse, fire Norv.

I know Rivera will be pissed but go get the Giants D coordinator or the Pats O coordinator for HC. If this were to happen and Rivera went elsewhere no doubt either of these guys will find us an xclnt D coordinator. If the Pats guy becomes head coach, he'll probably have a say in the O anyway ala Norv.

28. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    What about at 5-11 or 6-10 like the Chargers are most likely to end the season at?

I think they keep Norv regardless of the record, just as AJ said he would do last week...maybe if the Chargers lose out, 7 in a row and finish 4-12 Norv might be gone...or the Chargers are just totally manhandled in the remaining games, then it might be possible that Norv get fired.

But as someone previously in this thread tried to sugar-coat 4 of the Charger losses by citing that they all occurred in the final :25...but the reality is that the defense allowed the opponent to essentially drive whatever distance on the field they needed to get to to win the game in the amount of time that was left... hell, the Steelers held the ball for almost the final 6 and half minutes of the game and drove almost the entire length of the field for the Chargers to lose in the final :25...a far reach to think that the Chargers were that close to winning the game when they were clearly overpowered, outcoached and outplayed when the game mattered....and this is how it has been all season long for the Chargers.

29. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Whatever they do, they should consult LT, because he ain't happy.

:lol:

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Would you be with the number of times we try and run it a game. Or the number of times we try and throw long passes when we need two or less yards to get the first? Or the number of times we run right into the teeth of the stacks box when a run is called?:icon_eek: