1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Preseason is over... What do we have?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +5,061
    I have to admit. I am befuddled. I dont know what type of team we have. At times the Offense looks great, then at times it looks like we have a tissue paper Offensive Line.

The Defense has had some sparks, but first string vs. first string they lost 3 of the 4 games in my opinion. Was it that they were playing vanilla D? Was it the lack of time with Greg Manusky? I dont know. I do know while I agree with this:

[​IMG]

It is hard to believe that we have everything in place coming off of this preseason.

I find myself with less perspective on what sort of team we have than I have had in recent seasons (although last season I had NO perspective that special teams would be the steaming pile of puke they were)...

So... Am I the only one? What is your perspective on the team after these four practice games...

Before anyone goes there, no I am not panicking... Just pondering...

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    We are in big trouble. Unless we are going to be using dif strats during reg season.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,061
    Anyone... Anyone... Buller...

4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I'm waiting for week 2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Be honest our defense and offense are exactly the same right? Please don't let people fool you into thinking our special teams alone caused us to miss the playoff's. All it did was put the failure blame on our ST coach! I hope your able to understand 1 thing which was supposed to be overseen by our HC alone won't cause you to miss the playoff's. The best coach as an adult i ever had told me 1 bad call or element won't cause you to lose. Best advice i ever got, then i stopped letting those type things bother me and hence became #1.

Besides the players... This is the NFL people. You don't think teams can find weaknesses vs the same strat year after year? I was so hoping our new D cord would come here and change our D completely. Every team in our division is a run 1st team, we are in huge trouble, exactly how to beat our d.

I tried to prevent and help our team right people? It's not like I just write bad things about a team I like? I gave so many solutions. AJ does a great job of getting us talent. We need a strategic person for our team. Doesn't have to be me. Anyone who has designed rev idea's that are proven to work. I even design songs :). Anyone want me to make one for our team let me know.

Someone tell me why the same strats we used the last 4 years will still work/win this year? We just went 9-7 last year ppl.

To be #1 you must respect your opponents and not use predictable schemes, I know this from winning #1 in the world over and over. Not 1 time were we ever predictable, and always had things never seen before each playoff match. Just mixing in a few trick plays each game will not get us to #1.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    Look what our offense did with Rivers on the bench as you requested.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Our team will continue to struggle until we apply the Thunderhammer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't request Rivers to be benched. I request a complete scheme changes friends! :) More WR crossing routes, proven schemes. Quicker passes to avoid failures and so on. A defense that stops the run 1st. A D that doesn't allow any free yards and has their DB's up on the LOS. Things a Championship coach would be doing. I expect greatness, TBH. Become #1 or die trying type of HC I am. Have the work ethics and the plan that is better than anyone else's by far.

We basally run a prevent D. You guys do realize rushing 3 players at the QB will get your d lineman hurt more often than any other D scheme right? You guys realize a 3 man rush is called a prevent D right people? We mix in blitzs to make it a 3 + blitzers D, this is a joke, much less we don't hide our blitzers well.

You guys if only you realized I am a real world multi champion and could get our team to the SB with my strats, so sad =/. I would have our team on a raGe train with-in the 1st year. I have never been stopped from winning #1 in any event i have led ever factually. If only I could convince my fellow fans about the value of a system which would make B.b Superbowl favored team look like college schemes.

ThunderHammer D would have us SB favored after the 1st game seen. If only I could post samples of how it looks in a real play. My D appears to be an all out D, yet that's the genius to it... Causes teams to call timeouts and change their plays for free. It's what's not understood that is its greatest value. Then its advanced techniques and delayed blitzes that makes it the only D that should ever be used...

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    Typical troll behavior. You call them out on a blatant fallacy then they change their argument. :laugh:

10. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    I prefer not to push the panic button and see how things fold out after Regular Season Week 1.

Quite possibly however, if we win big and look strong, the negativos will still say, ya, but it was only against a crappy Vikings team, so it wasn't a true test. :eek:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,061
    8 posts in and derailed. 1coolguy... you have the magic touch... Thanks a bunch!

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Week #2 will tell all. Conc I will not post in your thread if you feel I killed it sorry. Peace out :).

13. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +512
    I was awfully worried until I really started to look at the style of defense we were playing. Manusky was playing as vanilla a defense as he could. No stunts, no movement, rushing 4 almost every down, basic coverage, no safety blitzes, no corner blitzes, hell no middle linebacker blitzes. Straight Vanilla. More vanilla then I ever saw us with Wade or Ron in charge. Remember the Bears last year pulling Cutler because they were worried for him because we were blitzing 5 and 6 every down? I really get the idea that Manusky was not giving Minnesota anything to look at from us. Offensively, any game that #17 isnt behind center at all doesnt really matter. Backs need to hold on to the ball. Ryan Mathews had an outstanding game, and I'm not even talking about the 56 yarder which was sweet. He was running up the middle well, getting skinny, finding seems to get 3-5 yards which he hasnt been doing before. His cuts looked cleaner, his ball protection spot on. In a regular game that kid goes for 200 yards looking like he did last night. And got to give props to Goodman and Walters who had great downfield blocks to spring Ryan.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +667
    offense : top 3, defense : middle of the pack

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,061
    That would actually worry me. That is the old days Chargers where we had to score 40+ to win... I hope that turns out to be incorrect. I also want to see a solid run game to support the pass...

16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Unfortunately we have too many good WR. I wish we had the depth on the lines. It wouldn't matter though if we applied the ThunderHammer D!

17. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Don't know where we will wind up - but my confidence in the mythical "fast start in 2011" has been severely shaken. Afraid my mantra is doomed to become "its where you finish that counts" yet again this year - and given that has led us to AFC West Championships 4 out of the last 5 years, that isn't such a bad thing.

Will 2011 be different? I just want it to be different in a positive manner over 2010.

18. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    best year ever.
    too ligit and garay are gonna disrupt and our D skill boys will shine. the offense will do what they do, even ryanna will hold onto the rock (most of the time) and go for a thousand.
    you panzi doubters need to go douche 'cause you fricken smell, scrub it up, and get it ready for winning.

• Like Like x 1
  19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I don't know .. when we have 14 regular players that didn't play yesterday, I'd say it is pretty hard to determine what our D is going to be like on opening day.. We played pretty vanilla with virtually no blitzing and it showed.

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Offense will be at LEAST top 3, maybe behind the Pats and the Falcons/Packers. Defense will be upper 1/3, special teams is going to SHINE.

21. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud, former San Diego Charger fan.

Ratings:
    +441
    The first half of the Arizona game is a more accurate picture of what we have than the scrub-a-thon we witnessed on Thursday night. That being said, a number of starters have either not played or played sparingly in the pre-season due to injury concerns or rehabbing from minor surgery.

The first string passing offense looks like it is ready to go, the running game still needs work but it is showing signs of life. Our defense looked...well...pathetic early on against SF, but when you consider that Shawn Phillips and Antonio Garay were in street clothes I will cut them some slack. Special teams performed very well overall this preseason, although the effort against the 49'ers was a little sloppy.

Keep in mind the two basic goals of the 4th pre-season game:
    1) Give the guys fighting for the last 4 or 5 roster spots a lot of reps for evaluation purposes
    2) Don't get any starters put on injured reserve in a (largely) meaningless scrimmage

I am really curious to see which of the WR's make the cut.

I think we have a competitive team and barring a meltdown of near-Biblical proportions I believe the Chargers will reclaim the AFC West crown. (...and hopefully a lot more in the playoffs!)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Offense, with guarded feelings re: run blocking, is ready to shoot it out with anyone, IMO. Some semblance of a run/screen game MUST be developed in order to keep teams from simply teeing off on Rivers.

My starting DL would be Castillo, Garay, & Liuget with liberal doses of Martin. Cesaire will be his usual steady self, Oggie looked a little better in this game, & Cam Thomas will be whatever Bluey sees in him as I obviously have some sort of bias against him. :cool: I'm concerned about the D much more than the O - and that's different how?

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,061
    Blewy coined the nick name Baby Zilla... So Cam is to him as Castillo is to me... :D

24. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I am officially worried about our run defense. Vanilla or not, you should be able to stop a running back. That is my only concern so far for the season.

25. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud, former San Diego Charger fan.

Ratings:
    +441
    I believe that when Garay and Phillips are back in the lineup (particularly Garay on running downs) the defense should play better, but I agree with you that until they get the right mix of people in the middle other teams are going to run on us...a lot!

The Vikings should be a good indicator for the Chargers: Peterson is a quality back and McNabb is capable in the passing game so we can't stuff 11 guys in the box to stop Peterson. I'm hoping our front 7 can apply some pressure and get some penetration into the backfield to disrupt the Vikings offence. I believe if you can apply enough pressure, you can get into McNabb's head and get him to make some bad decisions. I saw some of that in 2009 when the Eagles played here.

26. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +301
    The five things the preseason showed us:

1- We have a great offense... a great passing offense that is. As much as I am not a Norv Turner fan, The guy can take nearly any QB and receivers and move the football. Even the rookie QB Tolzien and all those son-to-be-cut wide receivers can move the football using the "Norv" method.

2- Our run blocking seems to be getting better... as long as we STOP calling the 1st and 10 run into the middle of the line play that Norv is so infamous for. A little variety might help our run game. I really want to see Mathews succeed. He needs to show me that can hold on to that pigskin and hit the holes for consistent gains and not only those very pretty 40+ runs... boy when he reels one of those off there is nothing prettier.

3- Our run defense is very suspect. In fact our defense as a whole has a big question mark hanging over it's head as far as I am concerned. Bring on the reasons... preseason, vanilla defense, no blitzes, Phillips out, etc, etc, etc. We had nearly an intact defense (ok- minus Garay, Phillips and Mr. No Show English) but let's face it... the 'niners rolled through us like sailors on the way to El Cajon Blvd after six months at sea. We couldn't stop many teams in the preseason and that should be a concern... unless Manusky has a double top secret plan that he's hiding.

4- Our Special teams- even Kaeding- are much improved. A good coach, some coachable players and a little fire under their azzes has turned them into a decent enough unit. It would be great to get a return TD this year. Nothing fires up the team and the fans like a special teams touchdown. It's like finding $20 in a pair of pants you haven't worn for awhile.

5- Bottom line: We need to start the engine on September 11 and not wait until 6-7 games into the season to "get it right". We will need Philip Rivers and the offense to put a ton of points up to cover what I feel is a rather suspect defense. Yeah- yeah- yeah... I know we had the #1 D in the NFL last year.... and we still didn't get into the playoffs. It would also be great to balance out our sappy-pass-happy- throw it- throw it- throw it offense with some sort of EFFECTIVE running game. 2nd and 11 doesn't cut it anymore... are you listening Mathews and Tolbert???

I think if we can get some respectable play from the guys at the very beginning and can stay healthy than we could run the table on the AFC West (yep- I think there should be no reason we don't go 6-0 in our division), make the playoffs and go as far as Nate Kaeding's right foot will take us. Yes. It will come down to that big helmeted question mark of a kicker to win (and not lose) us a playoff game so we can get that f-ing Lombardi trophy... once and for all. The guys are getting older and the window is starting to close. So this has to be the year. Go Chargers.

• Like Like x 3
  27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +351
    Im starting to wonder if week 3 vs Arizona was by design. Considering NO NFL team is going to the game tapes of week 4 to see how to beat them in Week 1 of the REG. Week 3 would be a better look at what is coming at you. BUT what if you intentionaly let the other team win the starter matchup, and use the PS game like it is as a chance to see your subs try to come back and win. Which we in that case pulled it off perfectly, we got to see what our guys can do, and MINNY gets again no real gamefilm on the starters that they can say there it is thats what we need to worry about. Also the Vikes do look alot less intimidating now than when the schedule was released. But NE is gonna be fun as both teams/coaches are well aware of the importance of starting a season the right way. How GLORIOUS it would be to see NE start 0-2, but who cares knowing them that dont mean they wont make the postseason with 11+ wins.

28. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    What do we have? Worries.

29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,529
    So, you're sold on Castillo as the starter? Why not replace him with Martin?...... you seem high on him. Put your most athletic guys together to give the opposition more to worry about. Let Cesaire and Castillo be the veteran backups, and let Oggie go back to parking cars, or whatever. Cam can remain a backup NT, since he's still got some developing to do. Unless, of course, you think there's someone else on the roster better suited to that position. ;)

It's the ILBs that I'm really concerned about...... stopping the run is a big concern until proven otherwise.

30. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I'll tell you what I have. As of today, I have NFL Sunday Ticket! Also Blue Bolt, I watched Rango and loved it, even though my roommate hated it.