1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure’s on

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 4 hours ago

There’s no disguising it. Thursday’s preseason finale is far from meaningless, especially for those clamoring for an NFL roster spot on a perennial division favorite.

SAN DIEGO – Two days from now, 53 players officially will call themselves part of the 2010 Chargers as the franchise seeks its fifth consecutive AFC West championship.
    The final preseason game Thursday at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park will determine whether several players enjoy the thrill of their first NFL game at Kansas City in 11 days or have to watch it on their TV.
    “For a lot of our players this is the most important game they’re going to play in the preseason,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “For me, then, it becomes really the most important game for our team because we have a bunch of decisions to make.
    “I think there’s some evaluations that are incomplete. The final part of that comes Thursday night. There’s some guys that are going to make this team based on how they play and there’s some guys that aren’t going to make it based on how they play.”
    While there are three other games and dozens of practices that add to the evaluation, many fringe players will get their most extensive playing time against San Francisco. Turner has said that he values what a player does during a game more than during practice.
    The starters likely will play 12 to 15 snaps, Turner said, with many young players getting 45 to 50.
    “I think it’s just the final part of their body of work. This is probably for some of them the most extensive playing time they’ll get,” Turner said. “When you get that many reps, a lot more can happen that we’re able to evaluate.
    “I thought some of our young guys took a step back last week and some of that had to do with who they were playing against, but I would like to see them take another step forward and get better and play at a higher level.”

UNBEATEN: San Francisco (3-0) enters the game one of two NFL teams undefeated during this preseason. The Baltimore Ravens (3-0) are the other.
    Three teams finished the 2009 preseason 4-0.

BACKUP OPTIONS: The 49ers signed two-time Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook in August after the sudden retirement of second-year backup Glen Coffee.
    Frank Gore is the clear starter and rushed twice for 58 yards last week against the Raiders. Turner called him one of the better backs in the league.
    But Westbrook, the 49ers have said, won’t slip into the primary backup role on pedigree alone.
    Sixth-round draft pick Anthony Dixon out of Mississippi State has gobbled up the majority of the touches out of the backfield. He leads the NFL with 220 rushing yards this preseason and his 62 carries are nearly double that of New Orleans’ Chris Ivory (37) and San Diego’s Ryan Mathews[​IMG] (34).
    Dixon also has nine receptions for 45 yards.
    “We’re very familiar with Dixon,” Turner said. “I know some people in the league are saying, ‘Where’d this guy come from?’ Our scouts were on top of it. Our coaches were on top of it. We understand his abilities as a runner, as a receiver.
    “He’s an impressive player. Our guys know we’re going to have to tackle him.”

REPEATING HISTORY: The Chargers and 49ers have met 38 times during the preseason. San Diego holds a 20-18 edge.
    The teams will meet for the 24th consecutive preseason and played seven times during the regular season in that stretch. They completed a rare trifecta in 1994, meeting during the preseason, regular season and Super Bowl.
    The incongruent nature of the fourth preseason game does void some of the potential scouting value ahead of the Dec. 16 regular-season game at Qualcomm Stadium. But the contest still can help in that department, Turner said, by providing San Diego another opportunity to get familiar with San Francisco’s personnel.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Mar 1, 2009
    I don't care about a win, as long as the players on the fringe show something to us!
  3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Feb 20, 2010
    yea my boy LANG in the picture. i hope he makes big plays so he will make the final cut.. and stuckey come on show em what u got tonight