1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pretenders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Sep 23, 2012.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    We aren't a elite football club. It's good our division is bad we can slip into the playoffs and get another year of Norv.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Relax.. its Week 3 bud..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    We looked incredibly bad compared to Denver against this opponent. I don't think that constitutes the season being over, but we're not going to go very far if we continue to play this way against quality opponents.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Atlanta is perfectly suited to beat our defense. 2 elite WRs against 2 inconsistant CBs, plus Gonzalez who always slaughters us regardless of which team he's playing for.

Do I think we're an elite team, **** no, we had no business being on the same field as the Falcons today. This was the 2nd worst performance of the Norv Turner era, behind only the Lions game in 2011, and just ahead of the Bengals game in 2010, and the Steelers game in 2008.

That said I'm willing push this one off as just a bad matchup for us, I think we will win next week in KC, and I see no reason why Peyton Manning would magically start having success against us in week 5. But Jared Gaither needs to come back soon, Philip Rivers is starting to panic in the pocket again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    One bad game isn't going to justify our season..

We turned the ball over at the worst times in this game. I don't think there is ever a good time to turn it over but we just did. We were unlucky today and that's football. Wideouts made drops in crucial times. And Rivers missed throws at crucial times.

Norv must focus on the OL this week. Doubt he does, but I'm just saying. Hopefully Mathews can get more touches this week in practice cause we need a run game. Both Mathews and Battle could cause problems for opposing defenses as they have two different running styles. But also, adding Brown or Brinkley to that mix.

Norv also has to get creative. Use Royal more PLEASE. If Brown is active get even more creative and use a wildcat. Ladarius Green is another guy I'd like to see in the red zone.

Our run defense has been pretty consistent. That's McFadden, Johnson, and Turner we've stopped. Under 80 yards each. I know the Falcons rushed for over 100 but again I'm just saying.

Have to work on rushing the passer and COVERAGE. For God's sake!

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Oh my, the sky is falling...

th_Chicken-Little.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's really a shame that our FO hasn't treated protecting the leader of this team the way that it has tried to protect its own behind from accountability. Rivers should go punch AJ's smug face.

8. Electrified

Electrified BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Run defense as been terrific. If our defense wasn't on the field for four and a half months today, they wouldn't have been so exhausted in the 4th and let up some. Either way, very tough unit, wonder what's more likely to happen: Pagano takes HC elsewhere, or takes Norv's job (I kid, it's early I know).

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Why is it that after all these years we can't figure out how to cover a tight end?

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Look at Gonzalez' #s for his career & then ask yourself how many other defenses couldn't cover him either.

I'm not giving our guys a pass, but his performance against us yesterday is hardly an anomaly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The first test in week three does not permanently decide who is a bad team or not. I'll remind everyone here that in 2006 the Chargers had two great games then lost two (one in very poor fashion, one they basically gave away) before running the table. 2007 We we're ready to fire Norv after four games when he went 1-3 after losing/giving away games vs Chiefs/Packers and being blown out by the Patriots. Didn't stop them from getting much better as year went on.

First test the Chargers failed and failed miserably. No questions about it. Doesn't mean its the end of the season. I'd like to see what we do vs the Chiefs (who showed some heart against an atrocious Saints D) and the Saints (who look a hell of a lot more beatable than we first thought at the start. Chargers can bounce back against those two teams it'll show that the Chargers are definitely not as bad as this game suggested. However can't deny that the Bolts need alot of work

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    How many times have the Chargers struggled against him? Hell I remember games in 2006/2007 where he was their entire offense and he still managed to make the Chargers' day miserable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It sucks but there it is. And plenty of other defenses have had their woes against him. Great players find ways to make plays & Gonzalez is great.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I am going to guess his entire career

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    No doubt yesterday was an absolute disaster from the perspective of a Charger fan.

On the other hand, aside from the team that killed us yesterday, precisely TWO of the NFL's
    other thirty teams have better records right now. I don't think there's a lot of "elite" going around.

p.s. Wonder if the Saints & Steelers are telling folks today how pathetic the AFC West is (?)
    Real Pretender.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good points. What is on display is the typicall rant after a bad loss. A good victory will salve the wounds of the angry fans.

17. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    With a bit of work, it isn't inconceivable that we could matchup to the better teams in the league. When it mattered most yesterday, we had the usual Charger shoot yourself in the foot moments.

Should be taking a 7-6 lead ---> Mathews fumble

Should be making them punt from their own endzone on the very next drive ---> Get a holding penalty that negates a sack, then let them drive 96 yards to TD over the next few minutes.

Coming towards half time: Driving again and looking promising ---> Bad decision by Rivers, ends up picked off, which leads to more points off the turnover.

3rd quarter: Another bad decision and un-necessary throw leads to another INT.

While some of the pressure Rivers faced can be attributed to injuries (e.g. No Gaither, the usual safe option to Gates not 100%, not 100% Mathews to establish a run game), a lot of this is the same old San Diego giving games away.

You don't win football games against good teams when you give up the ball through un-neccessary mistakes, then give away points off of turnovers. It is too early in the season to write the team off, but this poor decision making has plagued us for years now, and it clearly shows that execution and focus are as important as talent.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I seen a lot of people dressed up and pretending to be empty seats at the Murph yesterday.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Did you happen to notice Clint Eastwood yelling at them?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Mmmmm...ain't no senility like ideologue senility!

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He was just riffing but forgot the accordion.

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    [​IMG]

I'm surrounded by President Obamas!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Just not sure what Norv's gameplan for this one was. I am in no way a football gameplan genius and even I know that we should have been in a power run offense for most of that game. We should have been mixing Mathews and Battle and running it down their throats. We were successful pretty much all game doing it (Which wasnt much cause we were passing so damn much). The power run game keeps their offense off the field. Thats how you beat a prolific offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Cant do that when you are down 3 TDs... But yes, that is the way we needed to attack. Even better PROTECT THE DAMN BALL!

25. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    We were down 6 to nothing when Norv decided to go pass happy after Mathews fumbled. The fumble hurt but going away from the run was just stupid.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is true, but the Falcons took the fumble down to go up 13-0.

However in the 17 offiensive plays prior to Mathews fumbles we ran the ball only 7 times. In our first two possessions we only ran it once.

There are a lot of fixes needed. I think the biggest one is either go jumbo all plays or get something figured out on out OL.

27. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    We lost one game, The season is over! :cry:

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    He was playing quarterback.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nah - Clint is more mobile than that. ;)

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yeah, you're right. He can still chase down chairs pretty damn good.

• Like Like x 1