1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pretty good Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Feb 17, 2010.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Hey guys thought I would share this with you. This seems to be one of the better mocks I have seen to this point. There are some reaches but every first rounder has them.

2. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/user_mock_drafts.cfm?mock_id=8910

1 - STL: Suh, Ndamukong - DT - Nebraska
    Suh is the most dominant DL player to come out in some years IMO. St. Louis has a glaring need at QB that I think will be filled in round 2 possibly with Colt McCoy.
    2 - DET: McCoy, Gerald - DT - Oklahoma
    Following Suh out the door will be Gerald McCoy who some believe is every bit as good as Suh if not better. Detroit needs defense in the worst way and McCoy will be a good start.
    3 - TB: Berry, Eric - FS - Tennessee
    I have to be honest here. I almost had TB reaching for Joe Haden here but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I could see it happen but Berry is to big of a talent and safety is definetly a concern.
    4 - WAS: Bradford, Sam - QB - Oklahoma
    I am going with Bradford over Clausen here. The Redskins have made it evident that QB is a need and Bradford and Clausen will be jockey for the 4th pick in this draft.
    5 - KC: Davis, Anthony - T - Rutgers
    There are so many ways that KC could go right here. If you saw them play this year you will know that defense is something they will address in this draft. However, they went out and got Matt Cassel but couldn't seem to figure out a way to protect him. I think they get smart and sure up that Oline.
    6 - SEA: Okung, Russell - T - Oklahoma St.
    Ok lets be realistic for a second. I have heard so much speculation that Seattle will be taking one of the two QB's if they are there at 6. However, Hasselbeck can still be a good QB, the problem is that ever since they lost Hutchinson to Minnesota things just haven't been the same on that OLine. I think they go Okung here and pass on a QB for now.
    7 - CLE: Haden, Joe - CB - Florida
    I really want to ride the tackle train here and go with Campbell or Williams...I just can't. I am not as high on Dez Bryant as most people are, and I just don't think he warrants the 7th pick. Haden is a stud and the #1 CB in the draft.
    8 - OAK: Mcclain, Rolando - ILB - Alabama
    We all know Al Davis loves speed. You would think that Al Davis has learned by now that always taking BPA and lots of speed will catch up to you. They struggled last year against the run as they were ranked 29th in rushing defense. McClain would fit in nicely in Oaktown.
    9 - BUF: Clausen, Jimmy - QB - Notre Dame
    Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick are the two QB's in Buffalo. This is a must pick, because neither of those guys have the tools to lead a team anywhere but in the ground. Clausen has huge potential and upside, and getting the tutelage of Charlie Weis may be beneficial.
    10 - JAX: Williams, Dan - DT - Tennessee
    If you look at Dan Williams body of work this season and in the Senior Bowl, you will know that his draft stock is soaring. As of right now this may be a bit of a reach, but Williams is well worth it.
    11 - DEN: Mays, Taylor - FS - USC
    When you look historically at the draft, once the first big time reach happens it's starts a train. But since both Haden, and McClain are gone Denver needs to address a serious need at safety. They reach just a little bit here for Mays, as he is another Brian Dawkins protype. Big Hitter, great leader.
    12 - MIA: Graham, Brandon - OLB - Michigan
    Miami needs another OLB to pair with Cam Wake. This would give Miami two fierce pass rushers, creating havoc for any team.
    13 - SF: Spiller, C.J. - RB - Clemson
    Frank Gore has always been known as a injury prone player. When healthy however he is dominant, and Glen Coffee just isn't a good spell back. I think with Mays gone, they opt to go after the lightning back in Spiller.
    14 - SEA: Pierre-Paul, Jason - DE - South Florida
    Seattle was middle of the pack last year against the run. So I am going to go with the physical freak Pierre-Paul. This will help there terrible pass defense they has last year giving them a disrupter off the edge.
    15 - NYG: Thomas, Earl - SS - Texas
    The G-Men need help just about everywhere in the secondary. Earl Thomas would be a good start.
    16 - TEN: Bulaga, Bryan - T - Iowa
    Bulaga will fit in nicely with Michael Roos giving Vince Young a bit more time to distribute the ball.
    17 - SF: Williams, Trent - T - Oklahoma
    With Thomas and Mays both taken off the board SF goes with Trent Williams to give SF argueably one of the best Olines in football.
    18 - PIT: Price, Brian - DT - UCLA
    Casey Hampton is a potential free agent and Price was freakish this year and in the Senior Bowl. He would fit the mold of a tough, and nasty player.
    19 - ATL: Morgan, Derrick - DE - Georgia Tech
    Atlanta's pass rush needs an upgrade as Abraham is aging and Jamal Anderson has been a complete bust to this point. Morgan has crazy burst off the edge and would fit in nicely in the dirty south.
    20 - HOU: Dwyer, Jonathan - RB - Georgia Tech
    Spiller is gone, and Slaton struggled last year carrying the load and eventually was taken out as the feature back. Dwyer will give Houston and big powerful runner to complement the smaller Steve Slaton.
    21 - CIN: Bryant, Dez - WR - Oklahoma St.
    With the loss of Chris Henry (R.I.P), Cincinnati needs another target to go with OchoCinco. Bryant drops to Cincinnati giving them a steal in the first round at 21.
    22 - NE: Dunlap, Carlos - DE - Florida
    New England's pass rush was atrocious last year. Losing Mayo for sometime this year didn't help but Dunlap is a monster and gets the nod over Griffen here.
    23 - GB: Griffen, Everson - DE - USC
    With Kampmann being a potential free agent this year Green Bay elects to sure up there loss with Everson Griffen.
    24 - PHI: Weatherspoon, Sean - OLB - Missouri
    If you had a chance to check out the Senior Bowl, you probably saw Weatherspoon go crazy. By the end of the combine this may be a little late for him to go. This is a BPA pick because Philly has no real glaring needs as they are stocked with good young players.
    25 - BAL: Benn, Arrelious - WR - Illinois
    Baltimore just picked up Stallworth to a 1 year deal. However, Benn may be a good choice here as Derrick Mason is aging.
    26 - ARI: Pouncey, Maurkice - C - Florida
    With the passing of the reigns in Arizona from Kurt Warner to Matt Leinart Arizona is going to have to find a way to run the ball. Beanie Wells showed he can be a great back and getting Pouncey would help him out tremendously.
    27 - DAL: Iupati, Mike - OG - Idaho
    Iupati is a real road grader. This guy moves piles and is going to open up even more holes for two of the best backs in the league in Jones, and Barber.
    28 - SD: Robinson, Patrick - CB - Florida State
    It looks as if Cromartie is on his way out of San Diego as they are actively shopping him. I believe they are going to shop Cro to get a good RB as LT's time as a Charger is coming to an end as well. With the gain of a RB and loss of a probowl corner Robinson would be a great fit here. Robinson showed off blazing speed in the Gator Bowl coming from 8 yards behind to chase down Noel Devine. Robinson also isn't afraid to hit either. Cason, Jammer, Robinson would be lethal.
    29 - NYJ: Odrick, Jared - DT - Penn State
    The Jets definetly need help on the Dline. They need a pass rusher off the edge since Vernon Gholston has been a complete bust to this point. Odrick is listed as a DE/DT and would fit in nicely in N.Y.
    30 - MIN: Wilson, Kyle - CB - Boise St.
    If Minnesota didnt have enough problems after fumbling away the NFC Championship. The loss of Cedric Griffen to a torn ACL makes CB a top priority since he probably won't be ready for the start of the season.
    31 - IND: Kindle, Sergio - OLB - Texas
    This is a BPA pick here for Kindle. I really like what this kid brings to the table. He is good at rushing the passer, as well as in coverage. This might be a match made in heaven for Indy fans.
    32 - NO: Hughes, Jerry - DE - TCU
    N.O's defense was crazy good this year. OLB is something that they will be shopping for since Fujita is a FA. Hughes is a freak, and to be very honest, im not so sure after the combines if he doesn't move up even further. This would be a steal for N.O IMO.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I can't see us going cornerback in the first; basically that would mean AJ has struck out twice in two years with cornerbacks (not only cromartie but showing no faith in cason who lost out to gregory too). I gotta imagine if we go corner it'll be late.

Who would you pick in this case?

Based on that draft go with matthews/best or Odrick

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,552
    It depends on if we get a RB or a draft pick for Cromartie.

5. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    sorry LT-Express
    but i dont see us picking up a CB with the 1st round pick.:no:

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    we could probably get a second round pick from jacksonville if they want Cro and then get Mathews or Dwyer then... I don't think a CB in the first rd though, probably a DT or DE is on our draft board

7. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lol, you guys act like this is my mock. Look past the Chargers selection for a second and look at the mock as a whole. This is a pretty good mock. And for those of you who think that Robinson is not possible for us, look at what we have. Cason lost playing time to Gregory for god sakes. That tells me right there that Rivera doesn't have faith in Cason. If Cro leaves, Robinson becomes a pretty good scenario. Just like the commentary says, having Jammer, and Cason on the outside, and Robinson in the slot could be pretty damn good.

This draft is full of DT/DE as well as CB's. If you ask me Odrick is somewhat overrated and really is projected as a round 1 guy because there will be a big run on guys early.

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    sweet mary mother of jesus another cb, where's the rum?

• Like Like x 1
  9. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    WOw CJ spiller goin to the 9ers. If Smith can stop being a turnover machine they might be really hot next year.

10. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I do NOT think this is out of the realm of possabilities... You NEED 3 Quality corners...If Cro is traded, I would not be surprised.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Speaking of corner backs

Denver traded what ended up being the 14th pick in this year's draft for Alphonso Smith.

Keep up the good work Denver

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Would this be a good draft in your mind

(first assume we trade Sproles for a mid second rounder)

1. Jahvid Best
    2a. Tyson Alaualu
    2b. Terrance Cody
    3. Toby Gerhardt

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    You know, this might be a real good pick if Cro is out of here. Found these Highlights of him. This dude is a physical corner, the "anti" Cro that's not afraid to hit somebody!

14. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    This is a position that I have looked at since the Conf Champ Games started in College football. I am not sure if Robinson is the right guy or not but if Cro is moved this is a must and not a spot you want to take a low round guy to fill because Cason is still such a big question mark himself.

But trading Cro and/or Sproles and get a vet RB back might lead us down this path for a CB early. Williams will be gone and there is no other NT that should be taken before the 3rd round, and IMO Thomas is no better than most of the group we have now just younger and cheaper.

There are many power back type players that will go in the 3rd round or beyond that could be a good fit with a change of pace back we could get in a trade. I also think there are a couple of guys for the O-Line that could be had later, like Ducase and this kid from Hillsdale.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    if we trade cro. Which I kind of think might happen. Then they'll either go for a cb or front d-7 player. Our one big weakness last year was no pass rush.

There are like 5 to 6 good rb's in this draft so I"m guessing they'll use the 2nd rounder for a rb. Were mainly a Rivers passing team now. But we do need another good rb with LT moving on.

16. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I strongly agree. I just hope that Dan Williams will still be there...

17. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I don't think Dan Williams if he is even there will make it past Pittsburgh at #18. They love guys like Williams and Casey Hampton is a FA this year.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I can't say that I'll be happy if we deem to go CB in the 1st, but keeping Cro won't make me very happy either unless we can somehow discover how to install a spine with a brain at the top of it in place of the noodles that he currently has for both. Robinson is a very good CB - I'd have to rate him behind Haden - with Wilson making a good rise up the boards.

My gut tells me that Cro is here to play out his contract. I just don't think anyone is going to offer what AJ feels is necessary to get him. Teams know that Cromartie is damaged goods at this point.