1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Bowl in San Diego?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Feb 7, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    2009 is the last contractually obligated Hawaiian Pro Bowl. In 2010 the Pro Bowl can be in another City.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/weblog/archives/019388.html

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to reporters during the AFC's Pro Bowl practice this morning.

Most of the questions were about the Patriots filming practices. But he also said that after the NFL's current commitment to stage the Pro Bowl in Hawaii runs out next year, the league could choose to hold the all-star game on a rotating basis on the mainland.

Goodell did not hint at any possible locales, but word is that San Diego is a possible site.

Posted by Kevin Acee on February 6, 2008 04:41 PM |

2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I remember in the mid-70's the NFL held Pro Bowl practices in San Diego. Not sure if SD has ever held the game before though.

Seems like every Pro Bowl crowd shot always shows the stands less than half full. The NFL could probably make more $$$ while cutting costs by holding it in the Continental US.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I like the idea of bringing the NFL to hawaii because that's a place that never gets to see NFL football in person but the pro bowl has turned into such a joke. Bringing it here would be ncie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Some other Pro Bowl/Chargers news .......

Chosin welcomes Chargers stars for Super Bowl Sunday - Navy Compass

Sailors aboard USS Chosin (CG 65) scored a chance to meet and spend the day with players from the National Football League's (NFL) San Diego Chargers, Feb. 3.

Wide receiver Kassim Osgood, full back Lorenzo Neal, and linebacker Carlos Polk, who are in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl Feb. 10, took the time to give back to the military.

"There are many different reasons for us coming out today," said Neal. "Mostly, this is a way for us to say 'thank you' and show our appreciation for everything these service men and women do. Also, we can give a little back to them."

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I wonder how many more players would pull out of the game without the appeal of the Hawaii location?

Probably more than people have thought about.

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I hope so as it would be one more trip to SD for me. :abq2: :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

I agree. I think the NFL settled on Hawaii because of that reason, basically hoping more players would go over because of the vacation aspect.

But, costs and profits are probably the current motivation for the NFL.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I have some autographs form some players during the 70's when they practiced in Dego, Art Shell, OJ, Franco Harris and Larry Little. They are all on post cards from the hotel, my father worked there at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    If they take the Pro Bowl from Hawaii I probably won't go to anymore of the games.

10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    They should either kill the Pro Bowl, or make it an exhibition game for the players with 3 years or less. Let the young guns show their stuff. They still believe in the game, not just the money. This would be an opportunity to promote their careers, post college.