1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Progress: Downtown S.D. site set for stadium site

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/17/downtown-site-set-stadium-study/

The city of San Diego’s downtown redevelopment agency is poised to hire a New York consultant for $160,000 to study how to pay for a downtown football stadium.

The hiring of sports finance consultant Mitchell Ziets and Evolution Media Capital LLC is a sign San Diego is moving quickly three weeks after a rare private meeting between Mayor Jerry Sanders and Chargers president Dean Spanos to discuss the team’s desire for a new stadium.

The Chargers and the city are eyeing land east of Petco Park that includes Tailgate Park and 10 acres of property bounded by 14th, K and 16th streets and Imperial Avenue.

Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, the point person for seven years on a stadium site search, called Ziets’ hiring significant because of how quickly it happened and because of what the consultant has to do.

“It’s what you do on any stadium project,” Fabiani said. “You figure out what possible sources of revenue are out there, from the stadium and from other sources. You try to cobble together enough funding to make it work.”

Fabiani said yesterday that a downtown stadium could be built for less than $800 million because parking, freeway access and public transportation already exist in the area.

In the past, he has indicated that the team would be willing to spend $200 million on a stadium and that the NFL might be willing to lend the team an additional $100 million, but that revenue from ancillary development — including offices, retail and condominiums — would play a big part in a place where public subsidies are a tough sell.

The site being contemplated is currently home to a nearly 8-acre bus yard owned by the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System, and privately owned parcels totaling less than 2 acres. An earthquake fault running under the five-acre city-owned Tailgate Park likely makes construction possible only on its eastern edge, Fabiani said.

Team architects visited the site Wednesday and said building a stadium there would be challenging but possible, Fabiani said.

The audit committee of the Centre City Development Corp., the city’s downtown redevelopment arm, will be briefed on the hiring tomorrow at a public meeting starting at noon at its offices on 401 B St. The full board will vote on the contract at 1:30 p.m.

In a move meant to keep the contract private, the firm is being hired as a subconsultant by CCDC’s corporate counsel, Best, Best & Krieger LLP.

CCDC board Chairman Fred Maas said confidentiality is essential because of the firm’s proprietary investment banking experience. Maas said a study could take 120 days.

Maas called the consultant’s hiring “a good indication of the sincerity of the mayor and the team and us as well trying to find a solution, a resolution, to the site.”

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,409
    Yes!

Please put the new one downtown!

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    It would be a great site. Tailgating would be tough, and getting out of tall parking structures after football would be worse than after baseball, but I am all for it. I am all for any solution which stays in SD county.

So basically, they are looking for $500 Million? I can give a simple $7 million idea right here: All season ticket holders pay $100 per seat and get their name permanently engraved on that seat as a 'founding member'. I wouldn't be thrilled about an extra $400 on my first season's tickets, but it would be a small price to pay to keep the team and get a neat memento.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    All I am saying is that if it goes up, it's only a ten block walk from my doorstep to the stadium site... I could enjoy something like that. I think I should invest in an old bar in that neighborhood, football could be good for business...

Pointy :tup:

5. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    TAILGATE AT POINTY'S PLACE!!!!!

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I like that idea! You could also sell bricks or something like they did at Petco for like $30-50 (or more whatever) get your name on it and you're a permanent part of the new stadium even if you're not able to be a season ticket holder! Then those who DO want to pitch in to help can do so and those who don't can zip it :tup:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Excellent idea. I don't see the possibility of ever being a season ticket holder, but I'd love to be able to contribute & be a part in some small way. :tup:

8. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    I like the brick idea, since as soon as a new stadium is built I know I no longer be able to afford season tickets. But I'm not being negative, I'm all for any solution that keep the Achargers in SD, I just know that with the impending PSL $$$ and the raise in prices, I'm done with my tix.

Sell me a brick and I'll be at Pointys house for the tailgate.

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I'M ON BOARD, REPRESENTING FROM THE GREAT LAKE STATE!!

:tup:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You gonna call it M4? :yes:

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I like the brick idea too, just harder to get the volumes needed for a significant impact. Heck, even 7 mil isn't a huge impact.

I would like to think that they will not charge the seat license on anything but the premium (club) seats. That is how the handled it at PetCo and I can't think of a reason it would be done different here. But if they do, I'll be in the same boat as you.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I think most would be willing to sacrafice tailgating to ensure a stadium in SD, ESPECIALLY downtown!

In fact, lack of tailgating space only serves to benefit every single bar in downtown SD.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,409
    We can make room to tailgate.

Or I'll hang out at the Local Bar and Eatery at 5th and C before games like I do for Padres games.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Exactly Leo.

There plenty of bars to hang out that will be right across the street, bars that will more than welcome the extra business. They would all be FOOLS to not support a new stadium downtown.

I just want my damn stadium right there across the street from Petco, WHERE IT BELONGS!!!

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Wonder if we could cut a deal with one of those bars to make it the home of tailgating for Bolttalk/Bolt Bunker

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Oh no doubt.

17. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'd love that to be a pressing issue, and I don't even live in SD anymore, when that become the right fish to fry, I'm a happy mofo!

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    A down town stadium would rock! Superbowls in SD would be the best anywhere. :icon_toast:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If this happens, you can pretty much slam the door on tailgating, BUT there would be A LOT of gain too.

Game Day experience would be cool. Like in New Orleans, there really isn't tailgating but everybody partys on Burbon Street, then you get what they call a "walker" (a drink for the walk) and walk to the Super Dome.
    So for Game Day, close all of Gaslamp Quarter off to traffic and do the same thing. They could even fence it in (like they used to do at Street Sceen) and charge a $10 admission. Serve drinks on the street and have big screens like at the Budweiser Party Tent for those that don't have tickets.

There might be some tailgating available but it would be extremely limited and very expensive. Especially because they'll majorly encourage people to use the trolley.

Tailgating won't be the same but you lose as you gain with EVERYTHING!!

20. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Maybe they could save hundreds of millions of dollars and just build the stadium over the border. Vamos, Cargadores de Tijuana!