1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Promoting/Advertising a Computer Repair Service

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by in_a_days, Jul 3, 2008.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hello board. I'm trying to make a serious effort to start my own mobile computer repair business. I've gotten a lot of really good suggestions, but I don't doubt that some of you bolttalkers probably have some new and different ideas of your own. Basically I'm trying to figure out the best or most effective way to get people to call a phone number to inquire about the service. Current ideas include:

Advertising in local magazines & Pennysaver type publications.

Distribute fliers to local businesses.

Phone number tear sheets and fliers at local colleges.

Campaign style placard signs stuck in the ground.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :icon_toast:

2. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97

I hope this works out for you. My BIL did a start up about three years ago and it went nowhere. Same old story... no one wants to pay to have anything done.

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Use craigslist. Use it a lot. Put an ad on craigslist in the services --> computer section in the morning and another one in the evening. Do that every day.

One other tip. A friend of mine did this exact same thing, but when he was starting out, his ads all read "$50, computer problem fixed or it's free". He never had anyone want their money back, but it got him started with plenty of business. After a few weeks (when he had some repeat customers and word of mouth also) he raised his rates a bit and removed the "or it's free" stuff.

Good Luck.

4. Game123

Ratings:
    +97
    Do you have a website? If so, what's the link?

5. Game123

Ratings:
    +97
  6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    That's a great idea!

Also I'm glad you mentioned craigslist 'cause I have a couple specific questions. I actually posted a listing in the Computer Service section over the weekend but I haven't gotten any response yet. But I'm completely aware of the total ineffectiveness of placing one ad in one place. But when I went to repost the listing the following day it told me that I couldn't because it was too similar to a listing I had already posted.

So do I just need to change the ad slightly a couple times a day to allow myself to post it twice? Or will the get me flagged? Also if anybody knows how long you have to wait before it well allow you to re-posting something I'm very curious.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    BTW I'm totally open to criticisms or suggestions for the ad that I put on craigslist...

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    No website, nor cards yet. Still trying to decide whether I want to use a catchy business name or just use my name until I get the ball rolling. So I don't want to purchase a domain until I know the operating name I plan to use, and likewise with the business cards.

I'm going to take some time over the weekend to check into local advertising options and costs and try to design a good lookin' business card.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Years ago I had a window washing biz, I had some cool looking magnetic signs made and I glued a regular plastic business card holder to each sign. Everytime I parked my truck, I put cards in the card holders and I got biz that way - super cheap... (take the cards out when you drive away.

I also used a flyer service, worked out very well - but ask for references if you go this route, there are some that hire anybody and they just throw the flyers in the trash.

Referals - I always asked for refereals when I was on site, called and thanked the customer 48 hours later and again asked for referals.

Carry flyers - when you are done with a job, if you do not have another appointment right away, walk the surrounding area and pass out a couple hundred flyers

Hope it helps - best of luck

• Like Like x 1
  10. Game123

Ratings:
    +97

My brother-in-law called his 'byte cleaner'. His old url was bytecleaner.com .

What you want to keep in mind when selecting your company's name is what people will use as search terms on search engines. Here's how the usage of search engines stack up...

Search Engine Usage Share (U.S.)
    1. Google = 57%
    2. Yahoo! = 23.7%
    3. Microsoft = 10.3%
    4. Ask = 4.7%
    5. Time Warner (AOL) = 4.3%
    Source: comScore, September 2007

I don't advertise my company but rank really high in the search engines. Something to think about.

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, you have to change up the add a little. I'd create 4 or 5 versions of the ad. Also, use a different email address for each ad then put your real email in the ad it's self.