1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed Trade

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by tito, Oct 24, 2014.

1. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I posted this in the injury thread, but thought it deserved it's own.

Andy Levitre has stunk in Tennessee. He signed that big contract in the offseason, there was an article about trades regarding Donald Brown a few days ago and they talked about Levitre possibly getting traded. His contract is large, but not guaranteed.

He can play guard and center and even some tackle and Joe 'D helped coach him up to one of the better linemen in the league in Buffalo. That's a trade I might consider if I were the Bolts. I'd offer a 4th straight up. We need line help badly and if Joe 'D can get Levitre's playing well again, then we have someone to replace the losses of Hardwick and Clary next season.

Makes some sense to me if they can make the money work this year. Bye week gets him acclimated and maybe he shores up the line enough. We need to replace what we've lost in Hardwick and Clary in offseason, might as well try to help this season as well.

Bill Barnwell of Grantland:
    Barnwell didn’t offer specific trade scenarios that could happen before Tuesday, but instead offered up a list of players that could be discussed in the coming days.
    Titans G Andy Levitre
    None of Levitre’s base salaries are guaranteed and he has yet to live up to expectations for the Titans. They could consider moving him in a similar type of trade as the Percy Harvin deal, according to Barnwell.

2. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Even better, trade Donald Brown, his big contract & his lingering concussion straight up for Levitre! :laugh:

I seriously doubt if Tennessee would go for that though, maybe Brown & a 5th or 6th round pick might interest them though..:unsure:

3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    He makes a lot of sense for this team. He's versatile and he knows Joe D' and his methods. Gotta protect Rivers and get some holes in the running game. Levitre could shore up the whole interior of the line and it's not like we won't have the money with Hardwick and Clary off the books next year.

We have a chance to get back most of our injured players, but there is no help for the Oline this season. This team needs to try to win now and I fear that interior Oline is going to prevent us from getting anywhere. Rivers is the most pressured QB in league I believe.

Levitre is struggling with the Titans and he even studying old film of himself to try to correct it. Seems perfect for Joe D'.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    With Gates record breaking performance last night his value is going through the roof and surely some team somewhere needs a proven tight end with records galore to hang on the wall.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  5. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Antonio Gates needs to retire a Charger, I’m tired of seeing our great players (Lance Alworth, Fred Dean, Leslie O'Neal, Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison, LaDainian Tomlinson & others) finish their careers on other teams.

He’s helping us now, and can continue to for the next several seasons until he decides it’s time to hang up his cleats.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    No trade is gonna happen. We unfortunately aren't a player away from a championship.

7. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    No we are six players away....Matthews, Flowers, Attaochou, Verret, Ingram, and Te'o

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    That there is one of them "touché" thing-a-ma-bobbies those French folks like work into conversations.

9. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Does anyone actually want to discuss Levitre?

10. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    touché!

11. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    No thanks, you have to be a women to use to use them.

12. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    If he can help our O-line (and it sounds like he can, with his versatility & familiarity with
    Joe D’Alessandris), then I’m all for bringing him in, even at the expense of a draft pick.

Who should we cut to clear a roster spot for him? I’d say Shaun Draughn, who has done nothing noticeable for the Bolts.

13. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, probably Draughn.

14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I'd be intrigued by a number of players. Andy Levitre certainly would be one. Arthur Brown and Wesley Woodyard are others.

Darius Butler is a player I'm interested in, has only started one game this season, but has the talent. He's also a free agent at the end of the year. So Telesco should phone his former friend Grigson.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Darius Butler for a 5th rounder and Andy Levitre for a 6th/conditional round pick? Anyone? Make it happen TT.

(Obviously it won't, but fun to discuss)

16. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I just think considering he's struggling with the Titans, the fact that he's a guard/center and played his best ball under Joe D' that everything is there for a trade.

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    It's just a dream...

18. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    That may just become a reality...

19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    If and when it's done, then I might have something to say about it. TT has pulled a few surprises out of his hat since he has been here, but this thing about a proposed trade is nothing more than a rumor until the facts have been presented and the press provides an actual statement.

20. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    All for it, put him at lg, move watt to right guard trade troutman for whatever maybe a 7th, if we can just flat out cut him.. I would also trade for Arthur brown, he could push butler and make teo play better, competition always up play of players who don't want to lose their job.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I'm more worried about the depth on the back end of the defense. Cornerback play has been brutal the last 2 weeks.

But OL certainly needs a fixing. Fluker will have to move to RG next year. He's been terrible at RT.

22. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
  23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^Saw that article earlier this week. Even sports hacks can dream up the oddest scenarios...

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Don't forget that we do not have a seventh rounder because of the trade for Lissenmore. Levitre was a fantastic guard for a while in Buffalo but I'm not sure what happened with Tennessee. I am a little wary about acquiring another high money player that isn't working out - reminds me a little bit of Donald Butler.

25. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, it's not without risks, but he's not available if he's playing well.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Lol

There's absolutely no chance of that happening. Just look at the type of players Telesco bring in. Guys with heart, work ethic, and won't turn on their organizations back.

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    It's not like our 6th and 7th round picks got us anything this year. This draft class isn't as deep as last years.

28. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    True

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He's not financially feasible. We currently have a little under $2 million in cap space right now for the remainder of the season; Levitre's cap number for 2014 is $6.5 million (Technically$3.25m since it's doled out in game checks and he's received a half-season's worth of those so far already). So in order to even be able to take him on the roster we'd have to convince Tennessee (who would already be taking an additional $6.1 million in dead money against their books/cap this year) to convert even more of his current salary to bonus monies and eat the cap hit from that too - or get Levitre to willingly move that money to a bonus in a future contract year and trust that (with his contract no longer guaranteed) he'd see it.

All in all, that sort of thing isn't happening without giving up a 1st round pick most likely - and if we've established anything it's that Tom Telesco is most definitely not his former boss Ryan Grigson, which means he's not someone to pay 1st round pick premium on someone else's mistake.

This is part of the reason why we so rarely ever see any big trades prior to the deadline in the NBA versus other leagues. With a hard salary cap and a policy of prorated cap-hits (from bonus monies and other guarantees) accelerating and compounding upon premature trade or release by the issuing club, it makes the financial implications of trading big name players extraordinarily difficult for both sides to find common ground on "fair value."

• Like Like x 1
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    At least Richard Marshall was released today.. 3 days late