1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Props to Norv Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Jan 20, 2008.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't remember which thread it was in but it was one of the many where BOLTS4LIFE was trashing Norv Turner, any rate I said (paraphrasing) that I'd give Norv a pass if he either wins the Super Bowl or loses to the Pats in the playoffs.

Well, that's what he did.

Everyone wrote the Chargers off upon his hiring. Even I, an eternal optimist, was skeptic, but he's done more with this team than Marty ever did.

So here's to Norv Turner. He's made a believer out of me. :abq2:

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Mucho Prop's Norv!

Here's to a successful offseason, you did great in getting a lot of us naysayers behind you.

Three cheers for Norv!!!

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    He showed fire and grit down the stretch. It hurts that we are not in the SB but it's not because of Norv, or Teddy for that matter. The players need to learn from this. Home field throughout year takes us to the dance.

4. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I sure feel better about Norv coming back next year. I will admit that, although I first bought into AJ's rational for hiring him, I was ready to see his butt to the nearest exit after the first four games. But, I think the team is making progress. Next year should be another great year and we should make that final step. Depends what we, and the other tops AFC teams, do in the off season. I think we definitely need to spend some dough in getting safety help and addressing the line on both sides. Our offensive line gets a lot of credit for being big and mean, but I just don't see them getting the job done consistently like a great line should do. McNeil had an average year and I hope he comes back to Pro Bowl form next season. We still could use more help at the right side on the O line and Jamal needs a replacement of equal stature. I think Paul Oliver should make a push for a starting job next year and maybe Wilhelm will be replaced by one of the other LBs.

5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yep, I've gotta give Norv some credit as well.

There. I said it.

I know I was pretty outspoken in my criticism earlier in the season, when he looked more like a deer in the headlights than the head coach of what had been a 14-2 team. But as the team caught fire, he seemed to as well---he became more animated on the sidelines, he challenged calls, he made his presence felt. And I for one appreciated that.

Besides, he has accomplished what Marty never did: he took us to the playoffs and helped us win two games there, until a healthier (and undefeated) team finally wore us down.

I think maybe---just maybe---he oughta stick around a little while longer.

6. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I thought Norv sucked balls at the beginning of the season.

But Norv and Teddy stepped it up hardcore. We've seen some good fightbacks this season and this has been our best playoff performance since our super bowl trip.

I think the experience of winning in the playoffs and the pain of defeat will actually do wonders for us. Not as good as getting to the superbowl - obviously - but it's good to get them some winning experience.

Up until the Patriots last drive I was confident we could pull something out of the hat and cause an upset. That really says something because we were probably up against the best team in NFL history.

7. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Did anyone read Pro Football Prospectus this year? For all their stats and the Norv Turner factor, they predicted mediocrity for the Chargers. Props to Norv and the team for coming up big. I love AJ Smith, and the fact that we have so many key players locked up. We WILL win a Super Bowl.

CHARGERS!

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Most people felt the same way. Especially when you saw his resume before this season, there was very little reason to have any confidence in him.

Though he's had nearly ten years of experience as head coach, you can learn through failed attempts. IT SEEMS LIKE HE HAS!!
    I NEVER thought I'd say this but I think Norv is the coach we need!!! :yes:

9. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

10. nocnoc

nocnoc BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Norv Turner still has a long way to go before someone might confuse him for any head coach that may have a Superbowl ring. It's all about what you've done lately. I do know that Dan Fouts likes Norv's potential as a head coach. Nevertheless, I think the Chargers had enough talent to be 11-5 no matter who was at head coach.

Remember Kevin Gilbride? He was a joke as a head coach. But now that Eli's in the Superbowl, Gilbride will look like a genius. He will get head coaching offers from both the college and pro levels beginning today.

And stay away from ESPN for a while if you dislike Eli Manning as much as I do. I can already hear the kudos’ and hype going out for Eli’s, "veteran-like management of the game”, while leading the Giants to the Superbowl. I estimate that watching Eli play in this Superbowl combined with the damage inflicted by the Chargers loss will have a negative impact on my overall life expectancy, give or take a month.

I hope the Patriots kick Gilbride, Manning and the whole Giants team right in the arse on Superbowl Sunday. I’ll trade Norv Turner to see that anytime.

11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Norv has my full respect and confidence after rallying this team and getting them to the AFC Championship game. He found a way to get all the players to buy into his philosophy and you can tell by his emotions that he is fully committed to winning a championship here.

Props to you Norv!:icon_toast:

Have fun coaching the AFC in the pro bowl!

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    This is the reason I never ragged you as much as others did, I got the sense that you weren't the blind hater you came off to be, that you were simply harder to convince.

As stated in the original post, I wasn't a Norv supporter from the get-go either

I'm glad to see you prove my senses right.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    lol. Blind hater... Hell no.
    All you had to do was look at his resume.

But like I said... "it seems like he's learned through experience!!!"

14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Norv installed more of a vertical passing game which I am grateful for. I still hoark at the thought of Drew Brees and all of those swing passes... (remember LT was once our leading receiver). A.J. went out and got Chambers to make it work. Rivers has some mobility issues, but has demonstrated he can make tremendous throws when he has time. So props to all of them too!

This year ends up being a transitional year for us and I think very much valuable experience was won. The 14-2 regular season bluffed most of us into thinking we were a lot closer than we were. Consider everything the Colts went through before they finally did win one.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

We always look at the bright side after yet another season comes to a disappointing end

I'm sick of the empty feeling I get every damn year.

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I was on the fence about the Norv Turner hire, but I've come to believe that he is the right coach for our team.

And this team is only going to get better, with Norv and Ted working with the players in the offseason. Especially now that everybody is buying into the systems.

:yes:

17. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    major props to Norv, he did something that no coach of ours has been able to do since 1994 and bring us to the AFC championship game, and if this wasnt the Pats perfection year we would have went all the way i think

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Nails.

Many here enjoyed riding your poop chute because you believed Norv was the Anti-Christ. I respected your takes and even defended you when the mongrels wanted to burn you alive.

I want you to know it was mainly because you brew real good beer and I did not want to compromise the fact I was getting free sips. :icon_toast: :lol:

Seriously, Uncle Norv showed us all something which we had not seen. His passion and dedication are unparalleled plus he curses like a mo-fo at the refs. :lol: :tup:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Make no mistake that Norv did and do not feel guilty over the fact the **** was in disarray. Norv stuck to his guns and got it righted.

It only happens in a forum where posters will try to guilt you into feeling like you were somehow not a good fan by not goose stepping to the song 'Happy Days are here again". Fuc that. This **** is all forum abberrations.

Norv had to earn our respect and nothing is a given. He earned our respect the old fashioned way and I dig that.

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I would never say someone is not a good fan. I'd just say that they were negative, repetitive and jumped to conclusions that were ultimately proved wrong.

I understood people having doubts, but making up their minds without giving someone a chance is just stupid.

21. 3 Time World Champs

3 Time World Champs Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Props to Norv?

He lost you the game! 9 minutes to go and down 9 at the Pats 36 he punts. Have some jewels and try and win the game - if you don't get it the Pats take over on downs.

Needless to say the Pats held the ball for the remainder of the game.

But if you like mediocrity:icon:icon_toast:

22. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Only an absolute moron would rate an entire season on one play or one decision.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry, but that's BS. I agree that the decision to punt was a bad one. But the odds of the Chargers winning that game down 9 with 9 to play way were pretty slim. Norv coached our team to that point in the season, and he deserves credit for that. He kept his head up despite a poor start and got this team believing in itself. We won two playoff games and played the Pats tough despite some injuries to key personnel.

Making the AFC Championship game does not equate with "mediocrity."

24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

:yes:

Norv stuck to what he believes in, and he got the players to buy into it saving the season. He has done a lot for this team, and you can see how the team has changed from last years immature bunch that wasn't ready to win a playoff game. Not only that, but we are no longer reliant on LT having to go out and score two touchdowns every game. We can win in more ways than one, and we are led by a quarterback now in a league where quarterbacks driven teams win Superbowls.

25. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Wrong. You punt there and let the defense make the plays needed to get the ball back. They have done it all year, and you don't change your philosophy now.

26. 3 Time World Champs

Ratings:
    +0
    Let's see, he took the same team that last year finished 14-2 and finished 11-5 and your happy?

I have a bridge for sale.

27. 3 Time World Champs

Ratings:
    +0
    Loser Mentality - there is no tommorrow. You needed two scores! If you needed an onside kick but had not attempted it all year would you still kick it away?

According to you, you would. But don't you have to play to win? Unless Norv was just trying to cover in which case he did a great job. Kudos to Norv and his coaching staff!:icon_banana:

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

No one is happy but we are finally grateful that we will no longer be seen a playoff choke artists or that Rivers does not have stones the size of Himalayas. That gorilla has been exorcized and is no longer humping our playoff legs.

We are coming and I sense your fear. That is good.

29. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Go fuk a duck, dude.:icon_evil:

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Fouts was the ultimate mobility issue.