1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Props to VJ, F*** Deano!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    VJ put his body on the line today, it was awesome... I hope they sign him long term! Of course they will not, as per our history with great players! :confused:

Anyways, props to VJ! :helm1:

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Sometimes is seems like AJ and Spanos family don't want to win...they just wanna make money

3. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    He would have been signed long term if he had just done as Gates and later McNeil. They both got deals after they signed their tender. VJ threw too big a fit and threw it for too long to get any sort of long time deal.
    He screwed himself over with a poor attitude.

4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    We have a lot of good recievers...VJ lost some stock this season. We got great talent at WR, Floyd can be a number one guy.

I would love to keep VJ, but not if the price tag is too great.

5. Lightning_Dynasty

Ratings:
    +310
    Instead of signing VJ, we could take care of some of our players who actually want to be with the team.
    I want to see Crayton with a contract. It's a pity he messed up his wrist, because he had been looking phenomenal.

6. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I would take any player that wants to play. You play good, you get the money. I guess we'll see what happens with VJ. I understand Tolbert's next on the contract list. Dude's a keeper.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This is real simple, Jackson is not getting paid because of his DUIs. Period. The Bolts do not want to give 10 mil a year to a guy who will get suspended for a full season the next time he phucks up. They don't want to build their offense around a guy that's a risk like that. I can understand where they are coming from. Others can't. Oh well. If VJ wasn't a drunk, we wouldn't have this problem.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    If you really believe that, then explain to me why Floyd hasnt been given an extension. He signed his tender right away, came into ready to go, has played amazing when he hasnt been hurt, and to this point i havent even heard about him getting an extension

9. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I could be wrong, but if he gets suspended for the year, they wouldnt be paying him 10mil for that year, so why is that such a big deal?

10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    If he gets suspended, we waste salary budget at the beginning of the year we could have commited to keep other players. VJ is a known risk...simple as that.

11. Lightning_Dynasty

Ratings:
    +310
    As of last season Floyd was good, but he wasn't the beast he is this year.
    Come off season, he will be one of the first to be signed, if not the first.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Yeah, no kidding.

But why are you surprised? When they refused to sign LT and Rivers long term what made you think they'd sign VJ long term?

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    When Floyd can prove he can last more than three games without getting injured he can get paid the big bucks.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think they will, or at least they'll try. And I think if he played any other position except WR he'd be locked up already.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Fouts should change his name to Gwynn since he's obviously confusing his San Diego sports franchises.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    VJ had...what?...two catches for 29 yards?

At team introductions today he was BOOED by half the stadium. And HE wants Brandon Marshall money?

[​IMG]

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You are building your offense around a player you can't trust to stay out of trouble. It's not about money. It's about philosophy. The Chargers would rather build their offense around players who don't have the personal/suspension concerns, like Gates and Rivers.

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Refused? Rivers was signed long-term. LT had a long-term deal, too. They cut LT because they felt he was no longer worth his long-term contract.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Because he would still have already recouped a sizable signing bonus and, depending on the riders on suspensions tied to his guaranteed monies (i.e. the contract Miami gave Marshall), if he was guaranteed to make a particular sum for a given year we might well still be on the hook to pay him that year's portion of the guaranteed money (I'm not sure if the league allows deferment of guaranteed monies to future seasons due to the player's inability to play by suspension, it isn't the case for IR, I know that).

VJ is a luxury on this team. Unfortunately, I happen to agree with not overpaying for luxuries (I'm not arguing that VJ isn't worth a contract similar to Marshall's - with identical riders and stipulations, but he is not as necessary given the quality of QB we have). This is a team and offense that doesn't require the prototypical 6'4"-6'5", 220-plus pound WR in the mold of Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson. An elite route-runner with good enough speed and high-level hands can just as easily be an extremely productive WR1 (i.e. a Greg Jennings, Hakeem Nicks, prime Derek Mason type, or - the obvious ideal - an Anquan Boldin type).

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Jackoffson has some bridges to rebuild and fences that need mending.

22. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    With the way he was booed during the pregame ceremonies, that bridge is washed out and is gone.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I can totally understand that. What I can;t understand is why they didn't make a choice to either trade him, or get him in on a 1 year deal. If you don't want to increase the offer, fine, trade him. If you want him on the field, negotiate a 1 year deal that makes both sides happy

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Back in the day he would have been more than booed, I know you know what I mean.

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

There were trade offers, the Chargers were not going to let him go cheap, and he wanted too much money. Which goes along hand in hand, if he thinks he is worth that much, then the Chargers should be compensated that much.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And if he wasnt going to get that much, then the Chargers shouldn't be compensated that much. It works both ways.

Econ 101, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. No one was willing to pay his price, nor the Chargers price. He lowered his demands to market value, the Chargers never lowered theirs.

Now he is going to leave for nothing

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    he was gone when he held out.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree, so trade him and get something rather than nothing (A comp pick is next to nothing)

29. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Anyone who doesnt think we need VJ is insane. If you watched that game today, you would see just how much the chiefs respected him. So many times they had 2 deep safeties, and usually had him doubled. The guy just draws so much attention, and when you have a player like that, it obviously opens every one else up, and also makes the run game so much easier. Add in a proven #2, and an unstoppable TE, to go with a power run game, and the leagues best QB, and you have the makings of an offense that will not be stopped.

If we get into the playoffs, and everyone is relatively healthy (by that i mean they can still line up and play), we WILL win the super bowl!

30. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I was at the game, he was open many times, and all he was used for was a decoy. An expensive decoy. 2 catches those are not numbers you are going to use to renegotiate a contract with.

He was booed for a reason, nobody wants him here!