1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Pros and Cons so far...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    Two weeks into the 2011 Chargers, NFL season and I am as frustrated as I ever have been with the team. I know, I know the logical side of my brain (however small it is) is telling me that IT IS ONLY WEEK TWO! CHILAX! But the heart, stomach, spine and ego are arguing that the team should be 2-0 and are again missing key opportunities to truly step forward to elite status.

Let me clarify. The Chargers opened the season facing the Minnesota Vikings. Who happened to start out the season with a 109 yard kick off return. This provided pucker factor to my poor heart as shade of the historically awful 2010 special teams play danced around my living room tormenting me. The Chargers went on to play an arguably poor first half. At the half the Chargers trailed and were not looking very good.

The second half the Chargers made some good adjustments and held the Vikings scoreless in the second half while scoring 17 unanswered points. They came away with a victory, but not the solid performance I had hoped to see. Week 1, no worries right?

Week 2; The Patriots in New England, wow that is a challenge. A tough game no doubt. I felt the Chargers could win this game going into it, and began to have doubts from the beginning. New England’s hurry up offense is a good one no doubt. When our offense was held to 7 plays and a punt to open the game, coupled with a false start I began to ponder what sort of game we would get from our boys in bolts…

Through the first half the Chargers did not look good again. They were just not clicking and did not appeared to be on the same page. In the first half the Patriots scored every time they touched the ball, opening a 20 to 7 lead going into half time. Rivers was intercepted at the end of the half by the defensive lineman Wilfork. You know things are going wrong when two times in two games you are intercepted by a defensive lineman.

Needless to say the Chargers went on to play better in the second, but ended their day with four turnovers, several penalties and a loss in a game where they showed they have the talent to play with the Patriots, but apparently not the discipline.

So I wonder, am I being overly harsh on the team I love and follow? I decided to discuss the pros and cons of the team so far with the BoltTalk family… To see if some of you can talk me off the ledge, or if that is where I belong.

Let’s start with the Cons… Concudan’s Consternations…

You do not win in this league if you give up the rock. The Chargers are currently the third worst team in the league in turn over ratio. They are at -5, only the Steelers and Chiefs, who are tied at -7 are worse. You cant be a Championship team if you beat yourself like that. To compound the matter the Chargers are tied for the most interceptions thrown (4) with the Panthers, Jaguars, and Chiefs. Not what I would call good company. Long story short, they are not protecting the ball. How can you be an elite team if you cant hold on to the rock?

Further the Chargers have not been creating any turnovers. They have no forced fumbles, and only 1 interception. They need to create the turnovers to help them stay in and dominate the games.

Points Per Game/Starting Fast:
    The Chargers typically are in the top of the league in this field… So far the Chargers are 17th with 22.5 points per game. I have to think that a good portion of this is that the Chargers have come out in the first two games and not played well in the first half. While it is refreshing to see positive adjustments at half time, I want this team to show that they are ready to play the opponent from the opening kick off. The Chargers need to show us they are preparing for the game at hand.

3rd Down percentage:
    The Chargers are allowing the opponents to convert 50% of their third downs into first downs. This is third worst in the league. The defense was advertised as aggressive and attacking in the off season, short as it was. So far through two games they look to be cautious and reacting.

Penalty Yards:
    Believe it or not, the Chargers have the 3rd most penalty yards (158) and the 5th most penalties (17). The Chargers rank higher in these categories than the Oakland Raiders. THE RAIDERS! Can someone please explain how we can do this to ourselves and expect to be an elite team and vie for a Super Bowl?

Putting it all together:
    I am sure there are more aspects I can focus on, but I don’t want to breakdown and cry. However, a nasty picture starts to form when you combine the following, playing poorly in the first half, turning the ball over, committing penalties and allowing the opponent to convert on 3rd down 50% of the time. The bottom line is that is poor football. No other way to put it. To be a Champion you have to beat a Champion, which means you have to PLAY like a Champion. San Diego Chargers, are you capable of playing like a Champion?

Granted, you can’t coach a player to not have injuries. Further the whole league is suffering through a severe bout of injuryitus so far. But when we lose our second receiver early in an important game, and our start Tight End does not look to be up to form it makes defending our offensive juggernaut even easier. That said, there should be no excuses based on injuries. Everyone is dealing with them and we have to have players step up as we have had in the last two years.

OK lest I wax into Eeyore mode, lets see what is positive so far;

Pros… <Positive Pollyanna mode on…>

The problems are fixable:
    Looking at the items of focus above they are all fixable. We are heading into the third game of the season after a short off season. However the time is now. San Diego Chargers, will you just sing it, or are you going to bring it?

Chargers are 3rd in total Offense:
    Face it, Norv Turner is an excellent coach for putting an offense together. Give him Philip Rivers and we are going to win some game off of scoring alone. The Chargers are also 4th in passing. If they fix the slow starts in the first half their scoring ranking will improve. The offense will keep us in the games. If we fix the mental issues, we will have a solid team.

Ryan Mathews is Starting to Shine:
    87.5 yards rushing per game does not tell the whole story. Through the first two games Mathews has shown some toughness and ability to make plays. In his last three regular season games Mathews has gone over 100 yards of combined offense and in the last game showed toughness when he ended a play by delivering a wicked hit on the defender who was tackling him. A nice nasty streak is something this team needs, so long as it is a SMART nasty streak.

Vincent “Pay the Man” Jackson:
    Perhaps my homervision goggles are on too tight but he is one of the top five receivers in the league. Further he can catch the ball, take a hit and not go out of the game with an injury. Sure he has frustrated the franchise and the fans in the past, but the key factor there is ‘in the past’. Vincent is tied for 10th most receiving yards after two games. That is with him and Rivers not being on mark with the long passes, and him facing a lot of double team defense. Still when you factor in that he has fewer receptions than all but one player who ranks above him in receptions you can see what an asset he is.

Bounce back Factor:
    Lets face it. The Chargers have been here before, and it is not like we are deep into the season. The Chargers have had a tenacity and an attitude of not quitting. This will serve them in bouncing back after a tough loss and focusing on the next opponent.
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Oct 7, 2010
    1. Ryan Matthews
    2. V.Jackson

1. Norv Turner
    2. Rivers Picks
    3. Norv Turner
    4. Norv Turner
    5. Tolbert
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    Mathews, Jackson, Garay, Spikes,

Some good and bad
    Tolbert, Butler, Cason, the OL, Bob Sanders

Floyd, Rivers, run defense

Pass defense, Weddle, English, Crayton
  4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Dec 24, 2009
    The only answer I have for you is it's the coaching.
  5. LI Bolt

LI Bolt BoltTalker

Sep 10, 2010
    Bad : Manusky inability to bring it and pressure Brady. Let's see if the jets or steelers rush 3 vs. Tom Terrific.

In a sick way I thought Garay tore Brady's ACL on that play.

Good: Matthews putting on a show. He can go for 30yds anytime he touches the ball

Ugly: as Concudan reported turnovers = same old chargers