1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Protect yourself!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DefenseWins, Apr 5, 2008.

1. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    No, I'm not talking about condoms you bedroom-brains:lol: :icon_tease:

A combination of recent events sent me into research mode and there's some information that everyone should be aware of.

Recently BFISA posted a link for a website to "find hidden money owed you". Also recently both my father and a friend of mine were the victims of identity threft/credit fraud. These events got me to thinking how easy it is today for people to get information about you and for them to make use of it for ID theft and credit fraud.

In thinking about it, I wondered - isn't there some way to protect yourself. The idea that came to mind was that people should be able to set it up so that their information can not be released by the credit agencies without their explicit approval.

Today I was doing some research into the matter and found out some good information :D

There is a way to protect yourself!! Here's something you can do about the problem with all 3 credit reporting agencies.

As a result of state law passed in '03 in California (California Law SB 168), you can place a "security freeze" on your credit files with the 3 credit reporting agencies. Upon inacting a freeze, your credit information may not be accessed by anyone unless you already have credit with them. This prevents someone from getting credit using your name.

Note however that it also prevents you from getting additional credit (a new car loan, etc.) without some minor hassle.

When you place the freeze on your credit information, you are provided a personal ID number. You can then by explicit name of the business, or for a specified period of time, allow access to your credit files in order to obtain a new loan, cell phone account, etc.. It does take several days for the "temporary access" to take affect though, so when you know you'll be needing new credit, moving, etc., plan ahead so that the "door is open" when you need it.

There are similiar laws in other states, and all 3 agencies have a voluntary program that went into affect last year where people living anywhere in the US can do the same thing, regardless of their own state's laws. There is a cost of $10 to inact the freeze if you haven't been subject to identity fraud... and if you have been, you can do it for free.

Considering the increase in identity theft and credit fraud, in my view it's a worth doing. Most of us don't get new credit/loans that often and to me it's worth the minor "hassle" of temporarily lifting the restriction when needed in order to prevent the type of major hassle that one of my friends and my father have had to recently go through as a result of such credit fraud.

So think about protecting your credit and your identity... without giving money to scam companies.

This message brought to you by a non-lawyer picking up the slack for our resident barristers :p
    Hides from Chippie

2. DefenseWins

Ratings:
    +246
    :icon_rofl:Then the opening sentence was for you:lol:

Let's see... always make sure the burners are turned off on the stove, never date a cannibal, and most importantly - always check the expiration date on the whip cream!:icon_tease:

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Condoms are not that safe.

A friend of mine was wearing one and he got hit by a bus.

4. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    You are a sick, sick little man, sd.

5. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    thanks for the tips, dw, i will make sure and wear protection.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DefenseWins

Ratings:
    +246
    Van... if you would have gotten past the first half sentence you would know it isn't about condoms (which by the way are far from "safe").

At this point in your life, you needn't worry though - nobody would steal your credit or identity:no: And no, you don't gotta read it...:unsure:

7. DefenseWins

Ratings:
    +246
    :icon_eek:A suite of armor?:lol: Did you do like Van??:icon_shrug:

8. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Thank you, that is good to know.
    BTW, California has a website where one can check to see if they have money coming to them. I found it about 6 years ago, and while my name wasn't there, both of my brothers had money coming to them. Naturally, like good brothers, they didn't thank me, they just went ahead and got it.