1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Public apology to A.J. Smith and Norv Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Dear A.J., I Was Wrong

A.J. Smith was right and I was wrong.

There’s really no other way to put it.

I have been highly critical of the Chargers general manager ever since he fired Marty Schottenheimer following their loss to the Patriots in the divisional playoffs last year despite having the best record in all of football at 14-2. I was even more critical when he hired Norv Turner as head coach on February 19 after all the top-notch coaching candidates had long been lured away. And when the Chargers opened the season 1-3, I let loose on A.J. Smith with both barrels.

Even last week after the Chargers came from behind to beat a wounded Titans club and earned their first playoff victory since 1994, I reminded everyone that the only thing that mattered was the divisional playoff game against the Colts. That earning a berth in the AFC championship game was the only measure of success for the Chargers last season according to A.J. Smith. So a win over the Colts and a berth in the title game should be the only measure of success this season.

Well, beat the Colts they did.

So no mealy-mouthed mea culpa from me. Not the ‘I’m sorry if I offended anyone’ non-apology. Nor my personal favorite, the less-than-apologetic admission, ‘I’m sorry you are offended.’

Let me say it without equivocation.

I was wrong. Spectacularly wrong.

Norv Turner has proven to be the right man for the job leading the Chargers to a 5-0 December and a 2-0 January this season. His Chargers beat the defending champions 28-24 without the leading rusher in the league for three quarters and without his starting quarterback for the final 15 minutes. They punished the #3-ranked defense on the road with Billy Volek at quarterback, Michael Turner in the backfield and a hobbled Antonio Gates at tight end. In fact, Norv is 2-0 against the Colts this season and you don’t beat the Colts twice in one season or force Peyton Manning into 8 interceptions in two games by accident.

Now let’s look at the two coaches who A.J. let get away last year. His offensive coordinator Cam Cameron went 1-15 in Miami and was so ineffective that he is already looking for another job. And his defensive coordinator Wade Phillips just dropped his playoff record to 0-4 after watching his Dallas Cowboys lose to the Giants at home despite a 13-3 record and the top seed in the NFC.

Coaching selections notwithstanding, A.J. Smith has also demonstrated the Midas touch by keeping the aforementioned Michael Turner when everyone wanted to trade him, stealing WR Chris Chambers from the Dolphins for a second-round draft pick and selecting an injured Antonio Cromartie in the draft, a gem who has rewarded the Chargers with a league-high 10 interceptions and three touchdown returns in only six starts.

In fact, about the only decision that hasn’t worked out for A.J. Smith is kicker Nate Kaeding who has run his field goal statistics in the playoffs to a woeful 2-for-6 including a missed game-winning 40-yard field goal in an overtime playoff loss to the Jets in 2005 and missed game-tying 54-yard field goal on the final play of the game against the Patriots last season.

So congratulations A.J. Smith and Norv Turner. Enjoy your victory over the Colts. And if you happen to knock off the unbeaten New England Patriots in the AFC championship game, I’ll be sure to serve myself up an extra large slice of humble pie.

This week’s Fourth and Long is being published two days early, since it seems a more timely topic than commercials starring Peyton Manning. That comes tomorrow.

LINK

2. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Alot of us will be joining you for that serving of humble pie and crow.

We may not win this week, but I finally feel confident about the Chargers' future. It looked pretty dark all year and now I think we might be on the right track.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Put me on that list. I was one of the ones always vocalizing Norv was 5th on my list of 4th but I also reiterated I wanted to be wrong. I'm glad I was. How do I want my Crow you ask?

[​IMG]

BON APPETITE!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Hmmmmmmmmmm

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Man what a great "I was wrong" statement, versus the BS we got here.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:flag: I FORGIVE YOU MY SON :flag:

7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    LOL!!!!

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its really a miracle a.j. is our g.m.. Just keep doing what your doing.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I hope B4L is taking notes. THIS is how you eat your crow without complaining.

Well done Thumper.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    nobody gets a pass from me.

Not until I get to order a San Diego Charger SB champion hat!!!

NOBODY!!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Take this note... that thread you crated was just personal attacks.
    I ate the crow and the personal attacks kept coming.
    Why do you think it was locked, Einstein?!!!

Though I'm fine with that because it separates the trash from the class!!!
    And you're one to talk about complaining.

Nice article Thumper!!! :bolt: :tup:

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I too have seen the light of Norval, though I never lost faith in AJ.

Fighting for a Superbowl birth with arguably the best young team in franchise history. And aren't we like $20M under the cap next year?

Man, the future is so bright for this team. Let's put on our shades and enjoy the ride.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I never lost faith in AJ, but I had my doubts about Norv in the beginning, but then I just decided that AJ knows a fuk of a lot more about football and football people then I do. Dude has been MONEY on draft day and picking FAs. :tup:

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yep. I was nervous about Norv and Ted but my trust in AJ helped me see it through.

I will NEVER doubt AJ. Ever.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    :yes:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Stop talking in street slang.
    You'll never be a gansta or a pimp!!!

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Please BOLTS4LIFE ate his crow and also can we embrace the hate on the Mediots instead of on ourselves.

This is getting very old that there has to be all these attacks.

I understand as well that *YES* BOLTS4LIFE was being a pain in the BUTT for months on end but since he has now seen the errors of his ways and has said it publicly to everyone. Everyone who would want a months on end, see I told you so about BOLTS4LIFE. I will not have it because it will not solve anything but get worse.

So please let it die all ready. BOLTS4LIFE has eaten his crow and is now big supporter of Norv Turner.

I hope BOLTS4LIFE that there will not ever be anymore attacks on Norv and the same towards anyone else. There is better ways to handle it that doing it publicly, there is PM's and page messages to include e-mailing as well.

Again this is over and done with about BOLTS4LIFE and Norv.

Thank you.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979

TT, B4L brought all this on himself. End of story. When I call down the critics I have to deal with it, as does Shammy, Trumpy and anyone else. He makes it worse by constantly crying about it. So if you want it to end, tell B4L to stop his crybaby responses. That or close any thread he posts in to protect his fragile ego... One or the other...

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Hey Jack.

I challenged it and I ate it when I saw that I was wrong.

The fact is the you and the rest of the trash in here said "you wanted the Norv bashing to stop" BUT THAT WAS A LIE!!!
    NOW THAT IT HAS STOPPED BUT YOU WANT TO BRING IT BACK!!!
    AND THAT'S 100% FACT!!!!

With that said... In the English language, responding when somebody calls you out is not crying.
    Learn something new everyday, huh?

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    DOES EVERY ****ING THREAD ON THIS BOARD HAVE TO TURN INTO A BASH THE B4L THREAD? JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST!

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Look at your posts for a second. You are telling people what to do, calling them jack, and worse. Acting like a bafoon who had his feelings hurt, while youare saying 'dont pick on me...'

Well buck up you reap what you sew...

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If you want to bash me, go for it but you shouldn't get upset when it comes back.

But I got an idea... I think it will be good to start a thread called "The Children's Room." When Adults bring their kids to a party, there is usually a separate room for the the kids to play in while adults enjoy their conversation.

That way you, BFISA, RTL, Shamrock, boltssbbound and whoever else can talk about me till you're blue in the face while the adults discuss The Chargers!!!

I'll even stay out of the room so I won't interrupt the ranting and pouting amongst any of you.

Though we'll need some volunteers to take the responsibility of changing diapers, handing out pacifiers, burping, baby sitting, etc.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    BS. Bolts4life did not just come out and say, "I was wrong." He said, "I was wrong, but my opinion at the time was justified." That's not the same thing.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Get over your butt hurt. If you would STFU about people 'picking on poor widdle you' then it would die. But as long as you make your arogant posts, you will keep it going.

So you decide what you want and make it happen.

Get over it and yourself and talk about the Patriots.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The room has been prepared you, little boy.
    Now go play with your friends!!!

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Grow up cry baby.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sorry all. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

I think a lot of people could fess up to some sort of doubt and angst this season...

29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    For the record. A.J. Smith did not fall from heaven, or was summoned there by God. He was brought in from Buffalo... (I was never in heaven, but by all accounts it bears little resemblance to Buffalo). John Butler may be in heaven, but he was not when he called upon A.J.

It is not something I would expect from any of you to be intimately familiar with the chapter of Bills history that included the above mentioned characters, or Ted Cottrell and Doug Flutie who was quarterback in both places... AND under Norv Turner. But if you did you would better understand what has evolved into what we see today.

There are four instances when defining a business like undertaking. The highest or fifth would be the devine intervention which is what I would be attempting to downplay here.

First is the employees... (players).
    Second is the management... (coachs and GM)
    Third is the ownership... (los Spanos)
    Fourth is government... (the NFL)

Fans seem to reserve their greatest fascination for the lowest level. They generate the product, but at the same time have the least to say about it. A testament... (there is a neat biblical term for you)... to the quality of players we have is that Trumpie can worship one of the worst ones we have on the entire roster!

Management is charged with the acquisition of these players and maximizing their productivity. Over the last several years these two aspects of the operation of the business have not meshed with each other, mainly due to interventions or lack thereof from the ownership. Schottenheimer never really effectively fit into this overall scheme from the very beginning. And indeed he was forced upon Butler like a square peg in a round hole by los Spanos! He had his own system of operation, which was in a lot of ways contrary to the one he was existing under. This was not understood by the ownership until the results of it became obvious.

Marty was in a sense an elitist. He stood by certain players and openly refused to integrate others. When A.J. Smith was finally given the green light to eliminate his problem, he did not choose a coach with a winning record or somebody who had made a name for himself as most here would have hoped for. He interviewed and found somebody he knew who could operate within his system and use ALL of the players he had worked so hard to find.

There were then the remnants of the old coaching staff that would not go away. The favoured players were not going to give up their position of priviledge without some sort of resistance. LT wanted the ball more, Merriman wanted to rush more, and they had this 14-2 record as a blanket justification for their claims. All the while here, the fans were singing the praises of the players, maybe because it is THEY with whom the most closely identify with. Nobody I talked to even wanted to suggest that the players should shoulder most of the blame. Everyone was out to crusify the management!

The turning point came NOT because the management did anything differently. It was because the players backed down and finally became a team instead a group of elite players. Unfortunately from what I read Tomlinson had to consult with Marty first before holding his famous talk after the Jacksonville loss. But give him credit, he did dedicate himself to the team concept and got the others to follow.

The game against the Colts showed when the first three levels of the organisation are harmonized and everybody is and CAN be contributing... the fourth level... (namely the Zebras)... can try and faak you anyway.

That's life! There is no guarantees for success even if you DO do everything right. However... we are all now in a good position to enjoy the moment.

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Damn, that post was of Guffy-in proportions!!! Sandolf hits one out of the park! However, hindsight is a wonderful thing, I don't think I would be going out on a limb in saying that not one damn one of us saw it coming.
    The bottom line for me, A Lombardi, I don't care how. The problem however is that our Bolts have always had a reason to fail. And I'm damn sick and tired of the reasons why. If its ownership and its never gonna change then so be it.
    Call it what it is and move on otherwise, let's get this thing done. I'll agree that the last few years have been great for us but the goal is a Lombardi, nothing less

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.