1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Punt, pass and Judge

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Oct 5, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/8927099" target="_blank">CBS Sportsline</a>

By Clark Judge

The NFL trading deadline is Oct. 18, and I can tell you one name to scratch off your wish list.

Philip Rivers.

San Diego's second-year quarterback absolutely, positively will not be traded, and that's not me talking; it's the team's general manager, A.J. Smith.

"There will be no trade for Philip Rivers," said Smith. "That's done. No one's called me because I made it clear he's not available. He will be here. Now, when the season's over we will review everything, and do what's best for the Chargers as an organization. And I'm open to everything."

That means he could listen to overtures for Rivers. It means he could re-sign Brees, the team's franchise player, to a long-term deal and still keep Rivers as his understudy. It means he could promote Rivers as next year's starter -- though, at the moment, that looks unlikely.

Remember what Smith said: He's open to everything. Also remember that Rivers is signed through 2009.

"I like having depth at all positions," said Smith, "and I like having two quarterbacks. I'm committed to building a championship team, and having as many quality players as possible at all positions. Philip Rivers is one snap from playing. There could be an injury to Drew Brees, and then what are you going to do? Remember: Philip Rivers is under contract for six years."

Which means the Chargers don't have to budge. I know, Rivers last week said he wanted to move on if he wasn't the starter by next year, but that was Rivers talking. He's paid well for what he does -- or in this case, doesn't do -- and the Chargers, not Rivers, determine what happens in the future.

But it's not the future that is Smith's concern. It's the here and now. He oversees a 2-2 ballclub that last weekend hammered defending Super Bowl champion New England at Foxboro, ending the Patriots' 21-game winning streak there, and that is beginning to look more and more like a league heavyweight.

A big part of the team's resurgence is the play of Brees, who played so well last year as a lame-duck quarterback the team re-signed him to a one-year, $9 million contract. The move was costly, but it was necessary -- and Brees demonstrated why Sunday when he outplayed Tom Brady and led the Chargers to their second consecutive lopsided win.

"He's a major part of what we're doing," said Smith. "He understands the game. The game has slowed down for him. He's making plays. And he's making big plays."

That's good for Brees. It's good for the Chargers. And it's good for Bolts' fans hoping to see their team in the playoffs again. The only glitch is Rivers, who has been supportive while he awaits his chance, but who -- like anyone else in his position -- wants to have that chance.

"If people get dissatisfied or the attitude changes or the chemistry changes, we will look into that after the season," said Smith. "But I'm looking for what's best for the Chargers, not who's got value or what I can parlay."