1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Put The Hate Aside, Offensively Are The....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Oct 5, 2009.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Broncos a better unit with Orton or Cutler? I know their defense is better then last year but I still believe whole heartedly that our offensive unit with Rivers leading them can put some points on the board. Defensively, they have to play better and I know they will. Arm strenght goes to Cutler & I might even say accuracy but Orton seems to know when to throw it and when not to. Would you say there is a favorable trade-off for us to succeed or fail?
    The reason I say put the hate aside is because I know many will never give Cutler any credit because of who he is and what he represents.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Right now, our defense can't stop the run, so I don't know if it will come down to Orton. If it does, Marshall and Scheffler always give us problems, so either way the defense will be tested. Denver's offensive line is better than the Steelers', so I'm anxious to see if our dline can rebound.

3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Regardless of what happens in a game I will always go into the next game thinking we will win. What has me worried though is that we come out slow after one week, I am shaking over the thought of this team having 2 weeks off with the fear of them coming out slow again

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Their offense was much MUCH better with Cutler.

That being said, if our "defense" keeps playing the way it has, Knowshon and Buckhalter are going to run circles on us.

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Defense-wise, the Broncos are better. They've given up fewer yards and points.

Offensively, they were better last year. The Broncos have scored just 60% the points after 4 games that they did last year.

Last year, they scored 30+ points in 3 of their first 4 games. 131 points total. This year, they haven't scored 30 points in any game, and totalled just 79 points so far.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    And at least 14 of those points were pure luck.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I think they're less talented but that could be a good thing

Cutler gambles excessively, ye old Gunslinger, so while he can do thinks Orton couldn't even dream about, he believed in his talent too much so that he repeatedly made bad decisions.

Orton isn't talented or frankly that good, but he doesn't make mistakes when it counts and he's steady. Like a Trent Dilfer - force him to win it and he can't but make him a caretaker and participant and he can get you wins

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree. Orton made some terrible throws and eventually this will catch up with him. He has been incredibly lucky so far having zero picks for the year. Zero.

The game winning TDs in week 1 and 4 should have been picks. He will start to pick up picks in bigger numbers as he is really not accurate past 10 yards.

And you are right it shouldn't matter if the Broncos simply run the hell out of ball and gorge themselves on screen plays.

Overall their offense was twice as potent with Cutler. I am no longer scared of their offense. If we had a decent D containing their offense would not be a problem as their first four opponents have been able to do.

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Ma├člos ├╝bertrieben!

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    We have the more potent offense. They have a much more potent and nasty defense.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Let's hope our defense doesn't transform their offense.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, they scored 27 against Cleveland, whose defense has been about as bad as ours.

So, we could expect to give up that many to them.

However, can our offense score 28 or more against their defense this year?

If we maintain our average of 38 ppg against them, we win.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If we can hold them to under 30 points... we can beat them.

NORV SUCKS!!!