1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Q&A with Dean Spanos

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, Oct 24, 2007 , Chargers.com

How are things in San Diego?

“It’s such a tragic situation for so many people. Our hearts go out to all of the families who are impacted and particularly those who have lost their homes. I can’t imagine what they’re going through.”

How are you dealing with it?
    “We’re fine. I’ll tell you, I really want to thank so many people around the NFL for their support. For the second time in four years, the Cardinals have been unbelievable, lending us their facilities and the help of their personnel. Seemingly within minutes of hearing of this tragedy, Bill and Mike (Bidwill) called, and we’re indebted for their assistance. And while I was at the NFL meetings in Philadelphia this week, many owners came up to me and offered their facilities, their stadium if it was available and their personnel if it was needed. I can’t thank them enough.”

Any word on the game? You want the game to be played at Qualcomm Stadium, right?

“The decision is totally up to the mayor (Jerry Sanders). We respect the Mayor and will support any decision he makes.”

What would be your reservations about playing there?

“I can’t answer that question. We are going to rely on the judgment of Mayor Sanders and the people in charge at the police and fire departments.”

Has Arizona been ruled out?

“Nobody has been ruled in and nobody has been ruled out.”

How do you feel about possibly playing the game in Houston or Dallas?

“Haven’t thought about it. I really haven’t. I’m really focused on our organization and our families. More than 50 members of our staff and players have been affected, including 24 players. I’m more worried about their families and getting them all situated and taking care of those issues. That’s our priority right now.”

Are their homes okay?

“So far I haven’t heard of any homes that have been destroyed, but I don’t know that officially. I’m sure it’s going to be an ever-changing situation as long as the fires continue to burn.”

What has it been like to be across the country while this is happening?

“When you’re back on the east coast like that; when you look at it not knowing what’s really going on, other than by telephone and television, it’s pretty traumatic. It really hits you. I don’t think any of those people back there have ever seen anything like that. It’s really sets you back.”

Was there any talk of not playing the game at all?

"We understand the many pressures the mayor is facing and we need to wait patiently for the Mayor to make his decision. There's always the option to play on Monday night, and if that's what we have to do, we'll do it. "

How difficult has it been for the players?

“I just talked to them out there for a little bit and they seem pretty upbeat. The most important thing, at least from the football side, was get here and get three days of practice in. I think they’re coming together. In some ways this kind of brings them all a little bit closer. It’s unfortunate because of the circumstances. They’re trying to make the worst situation into the best possible situation they can.”

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Thanks for the read JL! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    What has it been like to be across the country while this is happening?

“When you’re back on the east coast like that; when you look at it not knowing what’s really going on, other than by telephone and television, it’s pretty traumatic. It really hits you. I don’t think any of those people back there have ever seen anything like that. It’s really sets you back.”

This is so true, having grown up in San Diego I've seen and been through enough fires to know what they're like. These folks can't imagine seeing a wall of flame consuming everything it encounters.

When Katrina hit, thats all we heard about all over the nation. Difference is, those people had plenty of warning what could happen. In a major fire storm, there is little warning and they move like a snake.

My brother was one of the lucky one's. His home was spared but not far from his home it is total devastation.

I for one am happy that it has taken a turn for the better. I hope and pray they can put this thing to an end sooner than they think.
    God bless San Diego, it's citizens and all those that have put their lives on the line to protect those who couldn't.:bolt::tup:

• Like Like x 1