1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

QB answers might float in on Brees

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 4, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/361806p-308191c.html" target="_blank">New York Daily News</a>

The Jets don't know who their starting quarterback will be a month from now, much less a year, but one of the possible candidates for 2006 will be performing before their eyes Sunday at Giants Stadium - the Chargers' Drew Brees.

The Chargers have a tough quarterback decision to make in the offseason - they are expected to trade Brees or former No.1 pick Philip Rivers - and the Jets will be interested if Brees becomes available. They will be in the quarterback market because of Chad Pennington's uncertain status after two shoulder operations.

Brees has heard the buzz. He said he'd like to remain in San Diego, but he wants a long-term commitment. Right now, he's playing on a one-year contract ($8.1 million) as the Chargers' franchise player.

"I want to be somewhere where I'm wanted and where they believe in me and where I'm the guy," Brees said yesterday on a conference call with the New York media. "I hope it's (in San Diego). If not, I'll find somewhere else. I'll land on my feet and I'll make it somewhere."

Brees, who enjoyed a breakout year in 2004, will be a free agent. If the Chargers decide Rivers is their man, they probably will use the franchise tag on Brees, setting the stage for a trade-and-sign with another team. They wouldn't let him walk away without receiving compensation. It would cost the Jets at least a No.1 pick and another huge contract, but they have high regard for Brees.

"I think he's a very good quarterback," Herm Edwards said.