1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Qualcomm is money pit for the city..... almost $80 million worth

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 20, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Report: Fixing Qualcomm Stadium will cost $80m
    BY BRENT SCHROTENBOER AND MATTHEW T. HALL
    FRIDAY, MAY 20, 2011 AT 4:30 P.M.

[​IMG]
    Aerial view of Qualcomm Stadium with its surrounding expansive parking lot. Interstate 8 is to the right. Interstate 15 above and to the left of stadium.

Qualcomm Stadium needs $79.8 million in maintenance, repairs and improvements over the next seven years, according to a new report conducted for the city of San Diego.

The report, obtained Friday by The San Diego Union-Tribune, says the city will continue to lose more than $10 million a year operating the stadium through 2020 regardless of whether the Chargers stay, get a new site in San Diego or leave the county.

Read the rest here (including detailed expense report)

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    then there are still some other things that need to be fixed if they want to get back into a Super Bowl rotation.

The City takes the money in rent, but does maintain it. And it shows

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Very true. I just wonder what will happen to SDSU football if the chargers do end up moving out of SD. There is no way the city will be able to even keep up with the minimal maintenance they do now, if they lose the Chargers as a source of income. There will be a point where the city will just have to shut down the stadium, because they are losing even more than they are now, and if they shut it down, they wouldn't have to spend very much in upkeep

4. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    There is so much wrong with the “Q”.

The “Q” was originally built for 52,000 people; with 2 upgrades it can now handle 72,000 people. A lot of stuff that is brought in for game days must be stored in the aisle ways because there is no room for it.

The NFL dresses 52 players for a game, the visiting team’s locker room cannot accommodate that.

As rebar corrodes it expands, as it expands it pushes concrete up, there are tripping hazards in the walkways everywhere, which are fixed by putting epoxy down to even the surfaces out. Bottom line why is the rebar corroding?

Every time it rains the media gets wet in the Press level because of leaks from above.

For a Super Bowl we need to have all 72,000 seats available. The field would have to be dropped 5 – 7 feet to get rid of those obstructed view seats.

Do we need to keep going on, what was once a pride is now eye sore.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Just out of curiosity, if the Chargers are paying rent for the stadium, what is SDSU paying for using the same facilities?

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    It may be a crumbling **** hole, but it's our crumbling **** hole. ;)

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and how would you know that by the amount of fans that show up? I saw more black than blue at the last Raider game!!!!

8. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    and...to think we could have had a stadium built without city money a few years back. hahaha

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    My guess is a lot less especially since they are a non-profit just like all other public schools

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And you didn't even mention the parking lot which is a total mess

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ---

Detroit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

San Diego

[​IMG]

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    There are several reasons the rebar is cracking the concrete so badly. One is because the water table is so low where the stadium sits that basically it is sitting in moisture all the time...which is another reason you couldn't lower the field level at all to begin with. Also that once moisture gets into the cracks it's a catch 22 of water getting into the cracks and corroding the rebar thus creating more cracks regardless of sealing them with epoxy. Finally ...and the biggest reason is the contamination from the tank farm that is under the entire site, Chemicals from the contamination seep up and corrode pretty much anything they come in contact with.

I worked at a refinery and they have to have shut downs about once a year to replace all the piping and equipment that has rotted out because of all the chemicals used in the process.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I say we just fill it full of water and have boat races.

14. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    we don't even have to go out of our way to flood it!

[​IMG]

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The lady (I think) with a face that looks like a well worn catchers mitt and the esteemed elected San Diego City officials have screwed this thing up. Refusing to even sit down and discuss what could, should or can be done was completely irresponsible to the citizens of the whole county. I can't blames the Bolt's for heading out of town and I will still be a fan. I grew up with this team and I can't see leaving them now.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    exactly, you cant lower the field, you must raise the stadium. I work on Navy aircraft, we deal with corrosion on a daily basis.

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    in a lot of areas, the asphalt is gone and all there is now is dirt. How much longer before those spots continue to double in size?

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the Murph was never designed for football. Baseball was the only thing that place was ever good

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Donna Frye, who finally got booted off the city council in 2010. Leather-Face got nothing on her... LOL