1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Quarter Season Evals / Awards

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 28, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Because we're winning and not depressed right now, like we usually are in September, lets hands out some completely meaningless and self gratuitous forum awards.

MVP: Rivers - His best days as a Charger are happening right now.
    DMVP: Freeney - Was going to go Liuget, but got to show some love to the 34 year old future HOFr.
    Rookie: Verrett - It's still early, but I'm ecstatic about this kid so far.
    Coach: Pagano - Obviously McCoy, Reich, and Joe D are doing well, but short handed I have to hand it to this guy. Game plans in all 4 games have been on point.
    Comeback player: Floyd - Could have given this to Freeney, but Floyd had a career threatening injury.
    Most Improved: Flowers - Kind of weird since he wasn't on our team last year, but he was horrible for the Chiefs in 2013. He has been great for us so far, it's going to be tough to get him locked up.
    Biggest Disappointment: Troutman - Not saying I was expecting much, but I was expecting better.
    M.I.A.: Green - Had a few nice catches last week, but has not been part of the gameplan. I expected more 2 TE sets and definitely more redzone targets for this guy. I hoping McCoy is just holding him back for later.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Id also make a case for Donald Butler to win the biggest disappointment award. Guy got paid like a top ILB and hes been just flat out bad. Had high expectations for him this year and im not sure what the problem is. He didn't look like the same guy last year but I just chalked that up to injury but this year hasn't been any better

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Coach: Reich - Had a bad Week 1, responded brilliantly in Weeks 2, 3 and 4. What he's doing with a terrible OL is quite impressive. However, handful of plays have been made by Rivers to make him look brilliant.

Most Improved: Te'o - He's injured. But he was playing some great ball up until last week, finally wasn't thinking and was just reacting and getting to and around the ball. Chargers defense as a whole could be given this award, we've missed tackles, but not as nearly as many as last year. Finally someone taught them.

M.I.A.: OL. I mean, I understand the injuries, but Dunlap, Rinehart and Fluker have been terrible compared to last season. Even guys like Troutman who was expected and seemed ready to fill in would of improved. Rivers is taking far too many hits and the RB's have absolutely nothing to work with.

Those would just be my personal alterations. Biggest Disappointment could go to Green for me though. He got some snaps against the Seahawks, believe he drew a flag and missed a block or two on a running play.

I just can't give Pagano a coach award. Part of me does, part of me doesn't. I mean he's faced Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson (for about 17 minutes), EJ Manuel and Blake Bortles. All except Manuel, moved the ball rather too easy against our defense. I understand a handful of guys are out, but there's even more key injuries on offense and we're still going on that side of the ball.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I got no problem with giving it to another coach, I just think Pagano got a lot of **** last year for things beyond his control.

Te'o would've been my pick if not for this 3rd foot injury.

Dunlap and Fluker have been solid or better in every game, our real Achilles heal is the interior O-line IMO, I saw Fluker send a LB skyward yesterday in the 2nd level, and Brown didn't even get to him because Troutman collapsed. Of course the whole O-line gets the blame, but the guys actually getting beat are on the inside.

I can't say Green is a disappointment because he's not getting enough snaps to warrant it.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yeah, I saw that play where Fluker looked like Debo and the LB looked liked that dude in "Friday." He got knocked the F*** out...

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Fluker was lunging in Buffalo last week, pretty badly. Mario Williams taught him a thing or two, Rivers scrambled a lot to avoid the sacks. Dunlap had a shaky start, but yes he has gotten better.

7. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    The Chargers certainly need to make some hay in the early season as the latter half of their schedule isn't as favorable.

Rivers and the passing game has been fantastic so far. The running game needs some work so the offense can grind some clock late in the game...Ronnie just isn't the guy to carry the load.

Defense has been solid so far...Weddle is around the ball almost every pley...Flowers has been a great pickup.

Special teams has been rock solid as well...which sometimes, in the past, has been an issue.

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised to see the Chargers at 3-1...they have one more non-divisional foe (Jets) before face all three division rivals in a row (@Oakland, vs KC, @ Denver) so the next four game stretch could show how the Chargers match up against the division.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    MVP: Philip Rivers - no question
    Offensive POQ: Antonio Gates - not just about what he does when he gets the ball but the decoy work is fantastic.
    Defensive POQ: Brandon Flowers - he is a pure shut down corner and I'm thrilled we got him from the Chiefs
    Rookie of the Quarter: Jason Verrett - not much competition admittedly
    Coach: Frank Reich - after a shaky first game has done a good job especially in taking what comes
    Comeback: Malcolm Floyd - Just edges Dwight Freeney
    Disappointment: Johnnie Troutman - From an up and down year to a mostly down year.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Gotta give Rivers the team MVP for the first quarter considering he has a strong argument for that same award NFL-wide if the season were to end today.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
  11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    So basically you should have just hit the agree button, and saved time? :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SayOw