1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Quarterback rankings: Intangibles make the best leaders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Many factors go into grading a quarterback, and every scout places different levels of emphasis on different aspects of the game. Scouts also must consider things that can't be measured: Leadership, the quarterback's role within a system and performance under pressure. All this makes for uncertainty and goes a long way toward explaining why it is so hard to find agreement on players at the NFL's marquee position.
    Here are our top 10 quarterbacks:

1. Peyton Manning, Colts. Critics point to the postseason loss to San Diego, but Manning is the reigning MVP and threw for more than 4,000 yards for the ninth time in 11 NFL seasons, tossed 27 touchdowns to just 12 interceptions and completed 66.8 percent of his passes. And he did it all while recovering from offseason knee surgery. He also had to adjust to life without the real Marvin Harrison. Healthy and with nearly the whole supporting cast back, Manning again should be the NFL's top quarterback in 2009.

2. Tom Brady, Patriots. Before that fateful September day when his knee turned the wrong way, Brady was on his way to becoming perhaps the best QB in league history. After missing the rest of the season, he is practicing with a knee brace and ready to battle Manning for the No. 1 spot. Brady never had elite mobility anyway, so as long as the system and the receivers are in place we expect vintage Brady in '09.

3. Drew Brees, Saints. Last season, Brees became the first QB since Dan Marino in '84 to pass for more than 5,000 yards. Brees also completed 65 percent of his passes and led the NFL in TD passes (34), attempts and completions and was second in yards per attempt (8.0). Here's the best part: He did it with RB Reggie Bush, TE Jeremy Shockey and WR Marques Colston -- his top three weapons -- missing a combined 15 games. They're all healthy now

4. Carson Palmer, Bengals. Palmer has received the all-clear on his elbow, but it remains to be seen what kind of arm strength the man nicknamed "Jugs" will show in '09. Still, he is a smart, experienced leader who can win games on his own. The good news is an improved line, veteran receivers and talk of a balanced attack won't put the weight of the season on Palmer's arm.

5. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers. The Steelers were battered by injuries and hurt by inconsistent line play for much of '08, so Big Ben didn't have his best statistical season. But he saved his best for the biggest games, didn't he? He is a tough, clutch performer who wins big games. As he heads into his prime and the Steelers become more entrenched in a pass-oriented team, he will get more chances to shine.

6. Philip Rivers, Chargers. Rivers has moved into the top tier of NFL quarterbacks the past two seasons. In '08, he set career highs in completion percentage, yards per attempt and touchdowns, and cleared the 4,000-yard plateau for the first time in his career. With LaDainian Tomlinson seemingly in decline, San Diego could lean more heavily on the passing game. Rivers has the perimeter receivers, and TE Antonio Gates is healthy and could again be a difference-maker.

7. Donovan McNabb, Eagles. Contrary to those who think McNabb is on the decline, he set a personal career high in passing yards last year and the 23 touchdowns were his most since 2004. McNabb still has a strong, accurate arm, so this season looks promising. The line has been upgraded significantly, and potential impact players have been added at the skill positions.

8. Kurt Warner, Cardinals. Warner got paid in the offseason, and now he can focus on putting his quick release back to work in the Cardinals' explosive attack. It looks as though all the pieces will be back in '09, and as long as he stays healthy -- a bigger concern as he turns 38 in June -- another 4,000-yard, 30-touchdown season is within reach.

9. Eli Manning, Giants. Giants fans will be irked that Eli isn't ranked higher. But Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer are gone, and we're not sure he will have a go-to receiver in '09. If they are relying on rookie Hakeem Nicks, Manning is in trouble. Elite quarterbacks can carry teams on their back, but Manning failed last year when Burress and Brandon Jacobs got hurt. The Super Bowl 42 win was great, but this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league.

10. Tony Romo, Cowboys. The Cowboys' plan to run more in '09 speaks to the strength of their running backs and the relative inexperience and lack of depth at wide receiver. It also raises a flag with regard to the coaches' confidence in Romo after an up-and-down '08 campaign. He will be on a short leash as Dallas looks to limit turnovers and costly errors.

2. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Rivers 6th?!?!!?!?

Obviously these ranking were made by an idiot who can't put together a coherent analytical NFL thought.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I think these rankings are fairly accurate. The only guy above Phil which I could make an argument for Phil passing right now is Palmer.

I think Phil can pass the likes of Ben and Drew, but right now he hasn't.

4. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    They were off in my opinion; I think it should be:

1. Big Ben: bastard is a winner and will be for a while.
    2. Tom Brady: again bastard wins and has a beastly offense.
    3. Phillip Rivers: all the heart and talent; but needs the team to follow his lead.
    4. Peyton Manning: also a winner; and awesome at running an offense. (just past us)
    5. Eli Manning: Little sister amounted to be a decent QB and has the ring to prove it.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What does all this really mean, NOTHING.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The Roethilsberger homers make me sick. This guy is probably the 12th or 13th best QB in the game, if PR had a defense like that he'd have a couple Super Bowls too.

I'd just like to see Rivers get his due respect for once.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Ben has two rings. He deserves that 3rd spot.

I'd put Rivers at #4 right now.

Say what you want about Ben... as Mondo stated... the kid just wins. And that comeback in the Superbowl this year was all I needed to like the guy. He proved he's more than just a big body that relies on a running game.

Our boy will top that list next year.

Bank it. :bolt:

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    If Big Ben were a Charger I guarantee you we would have missed the playoffs the last 2yrs, he is nowhere near as good of a passer. He has flashes like any average QB, but if you look at his performance as a whole this guy is nowhere near pro bowl material.

The only thing he has that Rivers doesn't is a record setting #1 defense, he did nothing in the Super Bowl Rivers couldn't have done himself.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Mati... he's wearin' the hardware bro. It's all good. Big Ben deserves at least the #3 spot... right now. Rivers is #4.

No worries. :bolt:

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Philip Rivers > Carson Palmer

So so so happy Jay "the wonder arm" Cutler isn't on that short list.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    RIVERS FTW!!!

[​IMG]

12. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    What has Drew Brees done? I can't say much of anything yet. I would rank PR above him without question.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It don't mean a thing without the bling.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    And what about Carson Palmer? What has he won?

If they are talking about the QB + the rest of the team, then I can see your point, maybe Roethlisberger and Rivers are neck and neck. But as they put Carson Palmer ahead of Rivers too, (considering the Bengals suck) thats obviously not what they are trying to do. If your going to rate the individual player rate him as an individual, dont go half *** and give Big Ben the nod because HIS TEAM carried him to a couple Super Bowls, and then pull Carson Palmer out of your ***.

See my point?:icon_shrug:

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Seriously... this article is a complete joke. :lol:

They use "Intangibles" as the criterion for what makes the best quarterback. Then proceed to copy every other top 10 list based on physical skills and career stats.

Thanks for the laugh. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1