1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about blackouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Brundlefly, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    So, I think Acee tweeted something about Chargers needing to sell x number of tickets to avoid a blackout. Do you people in San Diego seriously have primetime games blacked out if it isn't a sellout? That's so ridiculous to me.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yup.

In the beginning up until the early 70's the NFL NEVER televised home games to the local market. The Congress got invovled and forced them to, thus creating the blackout rule.

Even if it is Monday Night Football, or Thursday Night. No sell out, no watchy watchy on TV.

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Yes if it's not a sell-out it's blacked out. Yes it's ridiculous, but we don't usually end up with a blackout for primetime games. Not in a looooong time anyway.

I think they were at like 2500 earlier this week, so it will be fine, no worries. Usually if they get to 2-3k it's a pretty sure thing that enough tickets will be sold.

I have my tickets - so I don't care either way :D

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    As of Tuesday, the number of tickets to sell in order to avoid a blackout was 2,000 but I have not heard a thing since.