1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Chargers History

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Iron Lion, May 27, 2012.

1. Iron Lion

Iron Lion BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, lifelong Lions fan here with a question about your history. It takes some setting up though so stay with me ...

First off when looking at the formation of the AFL in 1960, it appears as though there were 3 kinds of teams: teams that successfully avoided contention with NFL cities, teams that unsuccessfully avoided contention with NFL cities, and teams that sought contention with NFL cities.

The teams of the first category are: Denver Broncos, Houston Oilers, Boston Patriots, Buffalo Bills.
    Notice that none of these teams changed their city or name over the whole course of the AFL, other than the Patriots who apparently chose to go by a region rather than by a city, but this appears to have been their own choice and I don't believe they actually moved.

The teams of the second category are: Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs) and Minnesota Raiders (Oakland Raiders).
    Here, the viciousness of the AFL-NFL rivalry is first seen. The AFL announces they will bring about the Minnesota Raiders, so the NFL comes at the AFL with the Minnesota Vikings, an attempt at making the Raiders look like a knock-off. Similarly, the NFL answers the AFL's Dallas Texans with the Dallas Cowboys.

The teams of the third category are: Los Angeles Chargers and New York Titans. Now the AFL strikes back, answering the NY Giants of the NFL with their own New York Titans. So it seems to me that the LA Chargers were the AFL's answer to the LA Rams.

This is now of course very disguised because of the bolt logo and the fact that the team now plays in San Diego. Perhaps it was not so disguised that first year in 1960? Or was the bolt logo used from the very start?

So I'm just curious if any of you can tell me one way or another what is going on here. I haven't been able to find anything about this on the internet so I don't know for sure that this rivalry naming is what actually happened. From what I can tell, the official story is that the owner of the Chargers liked that song that has "CHARGE!" in it.

Thanks for your thoughts, this has just been bugging me for too long.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I never knew the Raiders started in Minnesota so I looked it up. They didn't. The Vikings were originally set to be an AFL team but they reneged and joined the NFL. So they (The AFL) established the Oakland Raiders instead to fill the void.

So, it wasn't a case of the NFL "answering" with a franchise so much as it was the NFL stealing the franchise.

I guess you can say the AFL failed in that (newly established) NFL season, but it wasn't the franchise that failed there.

3. Iron Lion

Iron Lion BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I never meant to imply that the Raiders ever played a down as the Minnesota Raiders, but rather that such plans were in place. And there's still a bitter connection between the Raiders and Vikings. Thanks for the clarification on the detail though.

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    And it's the Chargers' fault that the Raiders even exist. After Minnesota punked out, Barron Hilton insisted that the AFL give him another California team to help with travel costs.

Oakland was originally going to be called the Senors, the winner of a name the team contest. Raiders was the third place finisher, I have never been able to find what second place was.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    As for the actual question asked in the first post, the bolt logo is in the LA team's logo.

[​IMG]

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Not quite. Barron Hilton held a contest for the team name, and someone came up with the name. Another popular rumor was that someone compared the team to a credit card, like "Charge it!" and the name for the team was born.

7. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    While researching this question (mostly on Wikipedia, because it's solid info) I was amused with this:

On August 8, 1961, the AFL, challenged the Canadian Football League to an exhibition game that would feature the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Buffalo Bills. Playing at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, Ontario, the Ticats defeated the Bills 38–21 playing a mix of AFL and CFL rules.

I rubbed this in my brother-in-law's face. Yes, he's a Bills fan.

8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    The most credible story is that Hilton was promoting a "charge card" at the time...
    (which IS how credit cards were referred to, a half century ago).

There's nothing to the idea implied that the Charger 'bolt' helmet was somehow
    an "answer" to the Ram 'horn' helmet. The Ram helmet (as now) was dark blue in 1960,
    The Charger helmet, of course, was flat white. And the bolt was BLUE (just in '60 & '66).
    And of course, the giant, trademark player numerals on the side...
    in short, the 1960 Charger helmet bore no resemblance to that hideous turd the Rams wore.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Weren't the Rams the first team to put something on their helmets?

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
  11. Iron Lion

Iron Lion BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the input so far. That first-year logo is interesting... I expected there to be some kind of hooved animal, but not one with no horns.

There's lots of different ideas on how the name was chosen and a lot of the ones that I've already heard are in this thread at the official forums:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=19590

Although I don't know how you all feel about the official forums, so sorry in advance if this is like profanity.