1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about our safeties.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, Nov 4, 2009.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I haven't been able to see the last couple games. Since Hart was released I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on how our safeties have been doing.

How are Kevin Ellison and Paul Oliver playing?
    Who has been standing out if anybody?

2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The play of Oliver and Ellison hasn't really stood out, IMO, except to say that they haven't been making damaging mistakes out there.

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I don't see much of Oliver and I rarely hear his name called but he has made some plays. Ellison has been the starter of late and his play has been solid for a rookie, but not spectacular. I believe he will grow into the position and should be making his presence felt by the end of the season.

Translation: So far, so good... I think Ellison is a keeper

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Seems teams aren't running as effectively against us since he began to see the field more.

5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Gregory has a couple of sacks, and I believe Oliver had an Interception.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I said it before they cut Hart that Ellison could not be any worse and that is the case. In fact long term I am sure he will be a much better player than Clinton ever was as long as he stays fit. :yes:

Paul Oliver has done OK too, he has a pick and seems to be able to blitz just like Weddle and Stevo when required. Overall we are looking OK at safety, not great but OK. :tup:

Also, gotta mention this!!. So far so good for Stevo, he is looking quite comfortable at nickel. :icon_toast:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    At least our SS can tackle now, so that IMO is a definite +.

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I see Ellison getting beat about as often as he makes a play. He's not a game changer yet but he's pretty fast and I see him being a great complement to the linebacking corps and Weddle, especially as Rivera has been leaning towards more and more safety blitzes. I think his biggest problem is in the passing game and he's just a rookie so I'm sure he's learning and improving. Unfortunately, we'll be playing some quarterbacks that will see it right away and try to capitalize on that so he has to be putting in the effort. From what I've heard and read, he is.

9. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    There is not alot happening in the middle where the safties play, which tells me they are doing a great job.

Looks like teams are not targeting the former soft spot in our defence. They seem to go to the edge and get some plays there.

I also see Weddle in the backfeild more often. Looks like safty blitz is being implemented more as is the corner blitz (saw Cro in the backfeild a couple of times).

Weddle has had to come in for run support a little too much as well. This tells me the OL is not stopping the run. LB's need to stop getting traped on the interior. Jamal, we miss you.....

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Ellison has done pretty well in run stopping, haven't really seen him that much in pass coverage. Still he seems to be a steady effective safety.

I'm a big Oliver fan and he just seems to do what is needed. He's been solid as a third safety.

Weddle its still kinda hit or miss, though he seems to be doing better

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Ellison's learning, I think he needs to get stronger though, all I keep thinking about is the Denver game where he covered Scheffler. I was expecting him to put a lick on him, but he had to put like a second and third effort to take him down.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    the safeties have become caca since my boy Hart was let go, you guys are too stupid if you don't realize that, I am the only fan smart enough and with the huevos to say it

signed

Guess who?

(hint: I play an instrument)

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    They are better than Hart. All of them. I think whoever we have on our PS is better as well.

I see Ellison out there one on one with a running back on a swing pass and see him make an open field tackle. I flashback to Hart where he missed an open field tackle to have Weddle run up and make it 5 more yards. Fact is those swing passes and dump offs are getting less yards now that Ellison and Oliver are in.

I see Oliver covering a receiver. He is slightly beat, but he is able to keep in stride make the bad QB overthrow. I see this same bad QB throw against Hart and Hart pointing at cromartie jogging slowly to where the WR got the TD.

Fact is these guys have done MUCH better than Hart. Oliver is good in coverage. Ellison is good in the running game and blitzing. We have used both successfully.

Now I see a weakness still with TEs. I hope we can fix that. Our running game has improved however.

First game against Raiders with Hart in

4.3 average yards per attempt

3.4 with Hart out.

5 tackles Ellison

1 Tackle Hart the first Raider game.

In fact Gregory had 3 tackles.

Which brings more of a point home on how bad Hart was.

Gregory played less, but made more tackles. Ellison a rookie is a HUGE improvement getting more tackles in one game than Hart got in 3.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :icon_rofl: bwahahahaha!

15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Thanks all. Got a lot of info.

16. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Your welcome. Don't forget the rep.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408