1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Shaun Phillips Deal...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I was under the assumption that players needed to acrue at least four years of service before being allowed into unrestricted free agency, and then came this blast in the package by way of the UT this morning:

After looking up the teams announcement of his signing, it also says that he only signed a three year deal with no mention of an option.

I am nearly certain that there is a team option in there, and that Phillips will be tendered the maximum compensation package if a long term deal is not reached (a first and a third with the ability to match any outside offers), but I haven't been able to dig anything up. Does anyone have the dirt on this situation?

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Players need to be in the league for four years prior to being eligible for UFA. Phillips is only in his third season, so he should be an RFA, meaning we will be able to give him the maximum tender and get 1st and 3rd round picks in exchange for him should he sign elsewhere.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Hopefully he gets signed long term before it even comes to that

The longer this takes, the more its going to take to sign him because Philips seems to get better every game

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    EC - Acee just mis-spook (typed).

Phillips will be a restricted free agent after this season.

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    This isn't the first time that Acee has gotten his facts wrong. The guy is a beat writer for gods sake, at least have a basic understanding of the CBA before fumbling the facts in your column.

It is the UT though. Don't let the facts get in the way of a perfectly good story.

6. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    So far, AJ has resigned every player that he's wanted to resign. The only guys that left are the ones that AJ didn't offer any extension. He's batting .1000

I'm assuming that Phillips will fall in line and sign up to another long session of playing opposite Merriman. He may have one of those symbiotic relationships with Merriman for most of his career. Each one makes the other better. Phillips will probably never get Merriman's reputation, but in order to get as much as he's getting, he needs Merriman on the other side to keep the opponents from working away from him. Same thing for Merriman.

I think he stays. I'm sure AJ knows his value and will offer him a fair contract.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880

Minus Olivea and Cooper we haven't signed any RFAs to long term deals and Phillips is infinetely more important

8. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Gates was LESS than a RFA - being a ERFA.

Hardwick signed an extension before the start of his third (RFA) season.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

YUP and as an EFRA the Chargers have Exclusive rights which means fuc off to the rest of the league sniffing around.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Hopefully, he's signed up to a long term deal with the chargers before then:tup:

11. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    AJ signs them before they even become RFAs. If he doesn't want you, he'll let you go the free agency route. But if AJ wants to keep you, he usually gets the job done way ahead of schedule. I'd expect something to be done either over the off season or next TC.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,467
    We need to lock up Phillips and Dielman NOW, if AJ wants to keep the team he built together he better start resigning our blue collar stars fast before they become well known.

13. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    In a worst case scenario, I see us giving Philips the highest tender (1st, 3rd), him testing the market......and unless he gets some insane offer of like Freeney or Kearse, I say AJ matches it. The beauty of RFA is the player can go out and see what his true market value is, and if AJ deems it worth the offer a team gives, he matches it.

Deilman is already past that point, he is UFA in the offseason so he may be gone, which would be sad.