1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Question & Answer

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,845
    By Forrest Overin

The Q & A column was inspired by conversations I had with Charger fans tailgating in the parking lot before the game against the Titans.

Q: The offensive line was one of two major areas of concern for the Chargers during this last offseason. How are things looking with the line now?

A: Let’s look at some facts-- the line has yet to allow a sack; the Chargers have averaged better than 217 yards rushing in the first two games; the Bolts’ aggregate “points scored to points allowed” figure is 67/7. This means the line has to be doing SOMETHING right!

It was bad news when Roman Oben was put on the Physically Unable to Perform list. It means that he’s ineligible to play for a MINIMUM of the first SIX weeks of the season. At that time, the Chargers have three weeks to decide whether to activate Oben, or put him on Injured Reserve. If Oben is to be of any service to the team this season, it almost certainly won’t happen until well into the season’s second half… if at all.

Oben’s unavailability necessitated that McNeill’s development be sped up. The rookie has definitely risen to the challenge. At left tackle, he’s gone up against the opponent’s best pass rusher each week without allowing any grass stains on Rivers’ jersey. The rest of the O-line will no doubt get a more stern test of their strength and will when the Chargers travel to Baltimore for their next game, on October 1, following this week’s bye.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/2006/09/question_answer_1.html

2. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    I'll say this about McNeill...he will not face a better pass rusher the rest of the season than the one he shut down in Oakland...Derrick Burgess...
    One more thing...if Oben does come back, at least he will have only missed 5 games and not 6 because of the week 3 bye...:icon_mrgreen:

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +610
    if McNeill plays reasonably (sp?) well against the ravens and steelers and the rest of the games until Oben comes back, what do you do with Oben? replace McNeill? move one of the two to RT and switch Olivea to RG? which one?

4. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    If this line continues to gel together then I leave it alone and keep Oben as a quality backup in case of the inevitable OLineman injury and use him in a Jumbo Formation or as a situational blocking TE...
    If the current line regresses then I insert Oben where needed (OLT/ORT) and move others around accordingly...

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Oben rides the pine if McNeill continues to progress.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Put Oben at Right Tackle and Shane at Right guard.

Goff can sit is *** down and is used only if Dielman starts to morph into a slug at the end of the year again.

Now we can attempt some rolling screens and pulling plays.

Olivea is not the answer at right tackle.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    If I was a betting man, I'd bet everything in my bank account that Olivea will stay at right tackle, even if Oben comes back healthy and McNeill continues to start at LT.

Olivea is much more solid than you've given him credit for. He has blocked Vanden Bosch and Derrick Burgess for most of the last two games and neither has sniffed the QB. It also is no coincidence that LT's best runs have come off right tackle.

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    When Oben comes back one of the TE's is gone thats what I think :bolt: :foley53: :bolt:

9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +502
    Yep, I have to go with Boltsbbound Trumpie. Olivea is much better than you give him credit for. I think he could be a mega RG and could become a pro bowler at that spot with his size and smarts but the kid is doing a great job at RT. He will never be a pro-bowl guy there but he has held his own against 2 of the best rushers in the league and if Oben comes back, my guess is he rides the pine backing up both tackle spots.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Sorry dude, but it's not a wise decision to sit down the best guy on the line. Goff is the leader of the line, he's the vet in the squad, he's the best pass blocker we've got.

Honestly, I think this argument is moot. Oben's not coming back, he's probably done.

IMO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Let these guys gel, they're playing really good together as a unit. They'll only get better as the competition increases.