1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Bye

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Is the bye comming in a time that will hurt the teams momentum. Or is it just in time to allow some nicks and bruises to heal?

Thoughts, comments?

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not like byes this early in the year.

It disrupts the momentum and timing of the team.

Fortunately, McCardell and Igor need the rehab time but the meat of our season is coming up.

The bye rolling into Baltimore gives us a bit of an advantage to study our opponent and game plan but I would have rather the bye happen after the mid-way point in the season.

3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Too early for a bye week, imo.

4. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

I think it could hurt the momentum...I hope not. It seems too early.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    hey its better than the week 1 bye we had a few years ago!

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Chargers saying bye to early momentum?

By Jay Posner
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    September 19, 2006

It's tempting to say the Chargers already have had two byes on their schedule, so what harm could a third do?

But this one, of course, is different. For the first time this season, the Chargers won't be playing this weekend, which in theory could slow the momentum they've built while waxing Oakland and Tennessee by a combined 67-7.

Then again, the Chargers took winning streaks into their off week in each of the past two seasons and returned with a victory each time. What could be more important this year is that they won't have a week off around midseason, when a break from the pounding of an NFL season might be more welcome.
    “Week 8 or Week 9, that's when your body needs a break,” tackle Shane Olivea said.

“I hate that we have a bye (now),” running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. “We have to go 14 straight and maybe more.”

But the Chargers also know it won't do them any good to complain. The NFL spreads its open dates over a span of seven weekends, meaning not every team can get a cherished spot. And San Diego has been fortunate the past four seasons with byes in Week 8 in 2002, Week 6 in 2003 and Week 10 the past two years.

Click the link for the full article
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060919-9999-2s19chargers.html

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Link not working !!! Heads up

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Try it now.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I don't think it will effect momentum. The negative impact will come later in the season when we will have more injuries and will be in more need of a break but won't get one.

The bye system in the NFL is screwed. With 32 teams, they should just have 4 bye weeks--something like weeks 6, 7, 8 and 9--with 8 teams off each week. This would greatly limit the advantage of when a team gets their bye week.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Not to worry about the break! We will get a bye in the playoffs, and another week off before the SuperBowl!

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree with everyone, the bye is way too early. Throw a dart at any other week, and we’ll probably have more injury issues than we do right now.

Oh well, we play the Raiders on Nov 26th. That’s just like a bye, right?

:lol:

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    No resting players only breask continuity. Does teams that rest their players ever win?

13. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Call the Commissioner.

Having a bye week after only two games is crazy and it's an advantage to the teams that get their bye in mid-season. Having all the bye weeks in weeks 6-9 would even it out.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If we have clinced Home Field advantage throughout the playoffs in Week 13, I want to see the backups play and get game time. Especially Whitey.

The starters should be rested.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Every team that I have seen use that mentality, loses in the playoffs. Indy did just last year.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We have had 3 byes in a row counting this week. :icon_mrgreen:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Your just trying to discount Whitey's TD!:icon_evil:

:icon_tease:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    A lot of CHARGER fans were pissed aobut that game, and that we played Brees. You live in the past a lot dont you...

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The starters may get in a series but that is it.....get the backups game time.

They are as much bread and butter as the starters plus we need to know if they are worth a crap so we can plan ahead.

Whitey needs the reps and should get reps so if needed, he is not as green as Rivers was stepping into the game.

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Maybe he learned his lesson with "butterfingers" Brees. :icon_shrug: :icon_wink:

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No it is because we did not have a greedy SOB QB (Brees) who would not step out of the game because he was scared of the competition.

Rivers let Whitey have fun.

Brees would have pouted and said "no this is my team - all mine" - the ***. :bolt:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Remember the Halloween massacre where we blew out the Raiders and Brees had his near perfect day?

Do you remember Marty asking Rivers if he wanted to play and Rivers said let Drew finish the game ?

Rivers knew Brees was a selfish son-of-a-biitch and it would strain the relationship because Brees would pout and that is why he let him finish the game. Rivers could have gone in and played mop up duty like Whitey did but it did not happen.......yeah I know why. :icon_evil: