1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Question For Beerguy & Buck Blincoe?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Just curious guys...what's with the departures of McDaniels and Pioli? Is there unrest over there? I can understand the OC going for a head coaching position but Pioli leaving is surprising? I haven't delved into the details but is this new job at K.C. any different than the one he had in N.E.?

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It's all about the benjis.

3. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I don't think so. Coordinators have always come and gone with Belichick. I suspect most teams respect the kind of on the job training assistants get on Belichick's watch. Weiss, Crennel, Mangini, and now McDaniel and Pioli.

I don't know a great deal about Pioli's reasoning. The Patriots are real careful about the info they release, but if I come across anything, I will be glad to post it. Here is a story from this morning's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/01/13/personal_loss_in_personnel/

And another article from this morning's Boston Herald: http://news.bostonherald.com/sports...w.bg?articleid=1145185&srvc=sports&position=0

I think most Pats fans are beginning to get real antsy about Brady and the reality of his situation.

4. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Considering Weiss and Crennel were uber busts and Mangini was only a bit better, it will be interesting to see how McDaniel and Pioli do on their own without the hoodie. Sure, I think BB is a cheater, but there is no denying he can coach like hell. He took Cassel and made him the next Brady. Come to think of it, he turned Brady into the first Brady. A 7th round pick into that?? Video tape can only help so much.

It's safe to say that BB is the singular driving force behind the Pats and if I were another organization, it's definitely BUYER BEWARE when it comes to picking up "hot" coaches and players coming from the Pats. Asante Samuel might be the only player who left NE and actually played well.

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The Pats are smart in the way they run things, they buy great talent when they can get them cheap (Moss) and sell average talent or questionable talent when their value is at it's highest (Branch, and possibly Cassell).

6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The Patriots, as with any other well run NFL team, is that it is first and foremost a business. Its two purposes being to make money for the owners and to give a quality product to the fans.

Winning teams mean more TV exposure, more ad money, a sold out stadium, and much more gear sold...especially after winning a Super Bowl.

Kraft hires the kinds of people who will make his business profitable and who will put out a product that people want to buy. He and Belichick both rate intelligence very high of the priority list for their players. If players can't make intelligent decisions, they won't be winners. Intelligent players also know when a system is a valid system or a sham. The Patriots system has proven to be as successful under Belichick and Kraft as any other football franchise and more so than most others.

They trade smart; they draft smart; they train smart, and they demand smart. The proof is in the results.

You can love them or hate them, but it's tough to discount the system.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The Cassell saga is certainly interesting and intriguing as is the Brady saga and the Patriots coaching saga for next season...what will BB and Kraft wrought?

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Well said. Totally agree.

9. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Belichick and Pioli have worked side by side for what seems like an eternity. From what I heard today, Bill released a statement about the Pioli that, in one radio personalities assessment, was extremely moving, heartfelt and sincere. For anyone to associate those words with Bill, and his statement about a person leaving the "Circle of Trust," says a great deal about how he feels about Pioli.

Pioli could be the best evaluator of talent in the league. He knew exactly what type of player Bill could work with and mold, which made them a formidible team. It'll be interesting to see who he hires as Head Coach in KC.

For the record, he was the Vice President of Player Personnel in NE and he'll be the GM of KC, with a much larger salary and far more control of the football operations. It's definitely a step up in profile, salary and responsibility.

The Pats have a lot of work to do in the coming months.

Brady's return looks less likely every day.

I heard that both Rodney and Tedy have informed the Pats that they intend to return next year.....we'll have to see about that.

10. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Someone on ESPN today said Herm Edwards would probably be returning to coach the Chiefs.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Now that would be surprising.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Damn, Pioli is what, 1 day on the job and already making mistakes? :icon_rofl:

j/k I like Herm

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    NOT the answer for the Chefs, though.