1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

question just to see what people think

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Dec 27, 2015.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    So me and my friends were having a discussion today, of rival teams of the Chargers and their cornerbacks they've had throughout their history. It basically boiled down to Charles woodson vs Champ bailey, and if you had the power to go back and pick one of the corners before the broncos or raiders could who would you take. I said champ bailey, they all said woodson. I know this is a Chargers board but if you could draft one who would it have been and why?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Woodson and Champ is my all-time favorite corner back. I just think Charles is more versatile and has a knack to make a big play. 60+ career interceptions are testament to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Obviously, if you are selecting a CB, the answer is Bailey and it really is not close. If you were selecting a safety, you might consider Woodson (but that is not the question). I am actually shocked that anyone would be debating the point with you.

Woodson has been a good player, adept at making big plays, but he was never a shutdown CB. He was able to get more INTs than Bailey because he played longer and because to a certain degree, teams just avoided throwing in Bailey's direction. By contrast, who ever cared about throwing in Woodson's direction?

Bailey might be the best CB ever to play football in terms of his overall game. He is arguably the second best cover CB of all time (only behind Deion Sanders) and his run defense was rock solid (whereas Sanders occasionally made "business decisions" when it came to tackling).

Bailey was also the superior athlete between the two players--much faster, much quicker, more fluid hips (by far), significantly better vertical leap. Not surprisingly, these more CB related physical traits made Bailey the better CB.

During the 13 seasons from 2000-2012, Bailey made 12 Pro Bowls, only missing out in 2008 when he was injured and only played 9 games. Essentially, in every year of his career in which he was healthy except for his first and last, he was a Pro Bowler.

Woodson has been a Pro Bowler 9 times in 18 seasons, once, this year, as a safety.

I think you've got it right and your friends are wrong, way wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    No mention of Lester Hayes or Willie Brown

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Woodson. He's still ****** playing and well.

6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    We were mostly discussing since we've been alive. We were all born in 1993 and 1994

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    ...and that is your Opinion. I highly disagree that Woodson was just good player. He was fantastic and is no question Hall of Famer.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    well those guys you are talking about haven't played enough to earn any merit.

9. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Both great players, but for my money I'll take Bailey. You could put Bailey on any team's number one WR and their day was basically over. I'm not sure Woodson was ever that dominant. Woodson's best years were in Green Bay where he played a roving DB position that I don't think they even have a name for. Nonetheless a fantastic player, but I think Bailey was more dominant

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Bailey, simply because the position is more important. If you have true shutdown corner, it makes your defense much stronger, and the DC's job a lot easier. That's not taking anything away from the safety position, but top CBs are very hard to come by.

11. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

Did I NOT hear Mike Haynes ? .... :whistling:

Hell ...oooooooooooooooooo !!! ;)

hahahahahahahahahaha, like that. :tup:

12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I agree that Woodson will go to the Hall of Fame and never suggested otherwise, but there are degrees of difference even among Hall of Fame players.

Bailey just might be the best CB ever to play football--kind of like the Barry Sanders of CBs.

Other RBs have made the Hall of Fame, such as Curtis Martin, for example, but you wouldn't argue that Martin was as good as Barry Sanders, would you? Of course not, and that is because Martin was never the kind of dominant player at the position that Sanders was.

It is the same thing here with Woodson and Bailey. Bailey was absolutely dominant, a true shutdown CB. Woodson was never a shutdown CB. Yes, like Bailey, Woodson also had great ball skills and was a solid tackler, but unlike Bailey he would give up plenty of receptions. That's the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Good CBs, but Bailey was better.

Also, for half of his career, Hayes was not even best CB in his own secondary. I would consider Mike Haynes in the discussion before I would consider Hayes.

I think Brown and Hayes are comparable in terms of their overall level of play (not their style of play)--both a notch below Haynes. My ability to formulate an opinion regarding Brown, though, is admittedly more limited in that I only began following football toward the back end of his career (early/mid 1970s). Also, Brown spent almost his entire career in the days before the Mel Blount Rule was enacted when the game itself was completely different.

I would take Haynes over Woodson, but Woodson over Hayes and Brown.

I would take Bailey over all of them.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Sounds like the Champ got a ball-warmer for X-mas!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +108
    Willie Brown hands down

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Nah, I'll leave the ball warming to you. You seem preoccupied with that thought. I don't need to know why. :tup:

I will stick with explaining why I think certain players are better than others.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd take Jack Tatum and George Atkinson in the Bolts secondary, hell, throw in Mel Blount and Glen Edwards to the mix as well.

18. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Although he hit the wall and exited the NFL rather suddenly, I think if we would've drafted or acquired Nnamdi Asomugha and paired him with Quentin Jammer, (while still getting Antonio Cromartie a little later) we would've had a pretty fearsome secondary for a time.