1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

question on what player we franchise tag

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by foober, Feb 22, 2010.

1. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres a question thats been rumbling in my mind for a bit. Which player do we give the franchise tag to. Merriman or jackson. I'm assuming we can get mcneil signed long term. Otherwise we might have to use the franchise tag on him.

Which of these two players might some team give us 2 1st rounders for. Probably neither. But which one would we want to hang onto more.

The other thing is we can only transition tag the other player which opens the door to loosing them for a 3rd rounder next year. I guess we'll have two transition tags. Not sure who we'll use the other one for. Maybe floyd.

2. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I don't think they will tag Merriman this year, he hasn't fully returned to form so I don't think he will get the kind of multi year deal he would like.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We will not franchise or transition tag anyone. McNeil, Merriman, Floyd, and VJ are all restricted free agents and can be retained for less than half what they would cost with a franchise tag.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    how is that. Through the tender thing. I didn't even know about the tenders on rfa's where we could tender a player. Sounds really good that we can hang onto alot of our players then. whew.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

This is all info that has been talked about on about 20 other threads over the last couple weeks

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
  7. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    It's not a question of who would give us two first rounders; I don't think that has happened in about ten or fifteen years. Who is the best value to keep (or get value in a trade), that's the question.

Even though it's an uncapped year, the tag has to do with a salary cap, and gaining time to work out a contract. The best time to use it is with a young guy coming off his first contract. That's when a player is most valuable to an NFL team.