1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about Michael Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 9, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This is for the salary cap experts around here.

1. Can we slap Michael Turner with a franchise tag and then trade him in the offseason? (barring we trade him before week 6 this year)

1b) If we do, how much will it hurt our cap space for the 08' season?

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Shammy is the cap expert but I will give it a shot.

I've heard a lot of people suggest that we do just that. I don't think AJ will for a couple of reasons.

1- RB's are traditionally undervalued in trades over the past few years.

2- By Franchising Turner you would be running a huge risk if you could not swing a trade (the cap hit for LT & Turner would be around $15 million which is way too much for a position where only one player is on the field at a time. It would be very similar to the Brees-River cap issue that was resolved by letting Brees just walk).

3- Whose to say that Turner doesn't just sign the deal (which would then prohibit a trade) and take his $9 million for his 100 carries in 2008?

4- In order for this scenario to work Turner would have to be a willing partner. To franchise a guy who would otherwise be an unrestricted FA free to negotiate with every team in the league would be a worst case scenario and would most likely piss him off. No team would trade for Turner under this scenario unless they had a long term deal in place, something that Turner not the Chargers would control.

There is way too much outside of the Chargers' span of control to roll the dice on possibly getting a first rounder (I say possibly because unlike last offseason where Turner could have been had at the $3-4 million dollar a year price tag that number will most likely double which will seriously effect his trade value).

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I suspect we will not have the room to franchise tag the Son of Norv.

AJ has pushed the team closer against the cap than in years past with all the signings and players we have locked up.

When we tagged Brees, we had the cap room. Those glory days of fat cap space are now gone. If I remember correctly, we are suppose to be around $7-9 million under the cap for 2008.

Considering the rookie pool of around $4 million, this leave very little wiggle room to sign a franchise tagged player unless we restructure contracts to free up cap space.

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    IMHO, Turner will not be on our roster next year nor will we recieve anything in a trade for him by using the franchise tag. We have to deal with the fact that what we get is his production this year, and not get greedy.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think the window for getting anything for MT has passed. He has been a good soldier so we need to do what is best for him and wish him God speed with his new team.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    So if MT performs well with his new team do we get any kind of compensation picks like we did for Brees?

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There is still the WEEK 6 Trading deadline approaching.

If teams really really want the Son of Norv, this is the last chance to get him before the derby starts next year for his services.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yes. We would get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick and it would be based on net contractural differences and the cocktail formula used by the NFL Mgt Council.

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Tampa Bay would be a major player for his services, but AJ would ask for way too much for it to happen. And don't read this thinking I'm implying that we don't deserve a lot for MT in a trade, just that no team would meet our demands.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That is not entirely true or a given.

Consider Tampa Bay says fuc it and offers up a 2nd round pick, maybe even a first round pick and at any of those offers, you jump on it.

Now parlay that pick into a fatboy in the draft and then get any pip squeak mongrel to run the ball behind LT. Our secret weapon is the Nix. Never forget it. The matter to AJ's anti-matter. :yes:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    FU - You just wet yourself knowing we may have TWO 2nd round or TWO First round picks in next years draft. :yes:

Once the lines are set, even your goofy asss could run circles around the defenders. :abq2:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Hey, if Jamal goes down we are done as well.

We are not afforded the opportunity to get a deal such as this very often and from your disposition, Uncle Norv and Jabba the Cottrell will never win the Super Bowl so what the fuc is the diff? :icon_shrug:

13. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    What part of when AJ said, "Michael Turner will be a Charger this year. Don't call us even if your RB gets hurt" don't you understand, Trumpy?

AJ doesn't BS about things like that. He never has so please save any "He is posturing" rants.

I think that there is a good chance that we TRANSITION TAG MT at the end of the year. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    AJ would not turn down a FIRST ROUND PICK if dangled. I remember what he said but you have to consider all offers.

When AJ made that comment about not trading the son of Norv, I read a bit of anger he was not able to pull off a trade and his speech came off as a little ticked off. That is what I sensed. Given AJ has had time to "cool off", those same cooler heads will generally prevail.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Aggressiveness is getting to the QB and despite the score, the QB's had all day to throw the ball.

17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Please give me one example of where AJ said something to the media and then went back on it.

It's never happened. At this point he wouldn't trade him for two first rounders.

When AJ says something, he means it. I know that this is a difficult concept to grasp for a flip flopper like yourself. :lol:

18. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    EC, you should know by now that facts and logic have no place in any discussion with Hornblower. :no:

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If I remember correctly he did turn down a first rounder in the draft
    So I'm not so sure but I think there's a possibility with the right offer, trading Turner. Hell say TB trades us a first and a third, hell I'd hand over turner in a heartbeat. I love him but a first and a third would be better then a third compensation pick in 2009

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Tampa Bay is looking for a RB ..

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's the way I see it, too. Give him a good year, invent good
    tandem plays with LT, but in the end the Burner will be gone.
    I wish him well as I did with Brees.

• Like Like x 1
  22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its been goin around the boards today that MT has some announcement to make on the radio today. But I'm not so sure I trust the source. :icon_huh:

23. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I think he's going to tell everyone that he is pregnant.