1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions I have about spygate ii

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by GreyHoodie, Feb 2, 2008.

1. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    1) According to various media accounts and Matt Walsh’s current employers bio on him, Mr. Walsh left the Patriots in 2003

However, according to his own wedding announcement he left in January 2002.

http://www.projo.com/weddings/content/projo_20040815_kenn15x.33494a.html

The Patriots went to the SB that year, which means he left before the season was over. A year later he gets a job working with NFL Europe. Maybe there was a typo or maybe he lied to his employer so it didn’t look like he was unemployed for a year.

2) Speaking of creditability does it bother anyone that he claims to have spent parts of two seasons on the golf team, the college's sports information office has no record of him in its files?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3226465

3) Walsh hints to have copies of said tapes with evidence of Patriots cheating. I doubt Patriot policy would allow him to make copies of tapes for his personal use, so if he did they are stolen. Does he actually claim to have hard evidence or is the media just jumping to conclusions?

4) If we are talking about the Patriots spying on the Rams why aren’t we also talking about the Rams spying on the Patriots?
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE4DB153DF931A35751C0A9649C8B63

"Halfway through practice, Patriots' linebackers coach Pepper Johnson noticed something in a third-floor window of a house next to the field.
    Club and league officials said a telescope was clearly visible in the window, according to a pool report, and that 15 minutes later, a person appeared at the window, and then vanished.
    Officials scanned the window with binoculars, but the person never returned."

5) According to this story. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3226465

"Obviously, Mangini knew what was going on and it had been going on for a while," Walsh said. "They tried to catch them doing it last year and weren't able to. So they were just waiting for them to throw the camera up this year on the sideline. But afterwards, I get the impression the league said to them, 'Hey, kind of back down from this; let us take care of it,' because Mangini probably could have come out and said more, made more of a deal out of it if he wanted to."

Mr. Walsh has inside information that the Jets tried and failed to catch the Pats spying in 2006. Whether he left in 2002 or 2003... how does he have inside information about 2006?

6) According to http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3227245

The unnamed source we all assume is Walsh claims that a Patriots employee stayed behind and video taped the event
    "According to the report, an unnamed source close to the team during the 2001 season said that following the Patriots' walk-through at the Louisiana Superdome, a member of the team's video staff stayed behind and taped the Rams' walk-through -- a non-contact, no-pads practice at reduced speed in which a team goes through its plays.
    The cameraman was not asked to identify himself or produce a press pass and later rode the media shuttle back to the Patriots' hotel, the source told the Herald. It is not known what became of the tape, or whether the cameraman made the tape on his own initiative or at someone else's instruction, according to the report."
    Yet according to http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/playoffs/news/2002/02/02/pats_practice_ap/

Practices are a closed event so he could not hide among the media....

Or maybe someone thought he was a family member of one of the Rams, and he took a tape the equivalent to the Rams family home video....

Yeah thats the edge the Pats need...film of the Ram players hugging their kids.

7) Specter is Comcast’s lead senator in the fight with the NFL over if it should be part of basic cable or a sport package. According to opensecrets.org his second largest donor is Comcast. How is what the senator doing any different than the shake down of Moss?

8) According to http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20080202_Spygate_sparring.html

The senator or his chief of staff attempted to use the office to get tickets for the SB. Is that a violation of senate ethic rules?

9) When did the rules about side line video taping go in to effect? Best as I can tell it wasn’t until 2006, but I might be wrong. If it wasn’t in effect when Walsh worked with the Patriots, why would it matter if they taped then?

As this story was timed to break when it would be very difficult to verify or discredit the story before the biggest football game of the year...might make sense to wait until all the facts come out, before you believe one fired employee with an axe to grind.

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    If you're going to ask someone to do something like this for your organization, you better not leave them twisting in the wind IF you get caught. They will have an axe to grind.

This story is evolving. We haven't heard everything yet.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    patriot fans are scum that they'd support a cheating team like the pats. Which leads one to beleive pats fans are either idiots or scum themselves to accept such thing from the pats.

5. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    :lol:

6. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    [​IMG]
    "Go forth my flying hoodies and spread distrust and rumour on fan forums everywhere!"

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    President Richard "I am not a crook" Nixon after having beaten down his opponent needed that extra edge by authorizing "Watergate".

We all saw what it got him.

The end is near and **** is hitting the fan.

The victory(s) ? Hollow.

The fan base is better off committing suicide and starting all over.

8. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

"I did not take steroids, period"

"I am not a crook"

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Add to that list

"Checks in the mail."

"I'll respect you in the morning."

"I won't come in your mouth."

There are no doubt many instances where teams have cheated in one way or another. Doesn't make it right & when you're caught, a price should be paid. We all know that Bellichick cheats in his marriage - what POSSIBLE reservations could he have over cheating in a football game? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Lord Goodell destroyed the tapes after consulting with Rooney (Steelers) and another owner.

Who the fuc in their right minds destroys evidence from a crime unless they are trying to hide something larger?

It does not pass the litmus test. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

**** is going to hit the fan.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Only people with something to hide & protect.

They want to hide the cheating in order to protect the money machine. Hell, it seems to be the American way, if you watch our politicians.

As much as I'd like to see this whole smarmy business exposed to the light of day, I don't expect much. :no:

Hey, Trumpy - would it make a difference if BB was black?? :icon_tease:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Damn straight it would have. :yes: :flag:

Can you imagine how many more biggots and racists I could flush out using my own brand of mayhem? :icon_rofl: :abq2:

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    You know...after thinking about it for awhile, I'm beginning to agree with your takes on this.

Considering what happened with the gambling ref in the NBA, Goodell doesn't want to see that kind of negative shadow cast on the NFL. Especially after b!tch slapping Pacman, Henry and others. He got rid of the cheating evidence without (and any of you legal beagles can correct me here) breaking any laws.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If I had a penny for everytime I have read this statement, I would be Bill Gates rich. :yes:

Some think it is to get attention and then after thinking about it - shazzam. :lol: I shoot from the hip and most find it arrogant, rude, insensitive, braggart-like and full of ****.

As though I care. :lol:

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Hey the thought process is a complicated one. And for some of us (namely ME), it's a slow one too. :lol:

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    SOME Patriot fans are scum. One of my tenants is a Pat fan from Boston. Had me over for the game. Gave good beer. Gave good food. Gave lousy sympathy. Quit stereotyping. There are 300 or so Charger fans who are being 86'd from the stadium, not to mention two who may or may not be among that group who have been threatening one of our brothers and his family. They are scum. Bottom feeding scum. People in glass houses shouldn't.......... Trolls who are taunting us are simply trying to get Our Pet Goat.

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Is this a crime, or merely a violation of NFL rules. Or in this day and age, have they become synonymous? Like criticizing W. Hushing this up and destroying the tapes appears to have occurred before they became the object of any investigation outside of the NFL. Perhaps you could enlighten me about this with your expertise. Is destroying this stuff before a political circus actually a crime? Don't mistake me. I think they are cheating scum. I'm wondering if the criminal implications you make are merely because you are as pissed off as I am or an objective legal opinion.

19. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Hoodie...why would you come in here to talk about this?
    Very few are going to have the correct attitude about it...which is "innocent until proven guilty"...you are dealing with a Fanatic group in here, we are all fans., and most consider the Pat's to now be their #1 enemy...and a world view shows us how fanatics are.
    Granted this is just sports fans, so the consequences are really nothing more than words...but would you really expect anyone in here to have a detached view?
    To my mind there is one way to see this, I'll wait and see what comes out.
    If Belichek is innocent, then so be it, and the rest of the league will have to work just as hard to beat them next year. This will also be best for football.
    However if he is found guilty, then a year suspension would be in order, and this whole Pat's dynasty will have a dark cloud over it, which I would find sad...for our whole sport. We'd like to think the last seven years have been on the up-n-up, and if they haven't, then it would put a huge asterisk on that time period.
    I am not jealous of the Pat's, to be the best we gotta beat the best, and the Pat's have been the best.
    Nor at this time, am I a Brady hater, he's been a good guy, the league needs more of them...HOWEVER, if these new charges are true, I will have a totally different oppinion of the Pat's...except for Seau.

20. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    "Say it ain't so Junior, say it ain't so."

I always assumed the players to be innocent of this type of cheating, it was more so following the orders of the coaches. But then hearing about a "former" qb on the Pats saying that they pushed the envelope, makes me question my original belief. Oh man, when it comes to Congress or the Feds...it's GAME OVER.

21. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    :icon_rofl:

22. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That is just fucin perfect. :yes: :tup::flag:

Nice attempt at a preemptive shot there Hoodie. If you guys didn't do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. Right?

The obsession to better NY is showing it's defects my man. Good luck with that.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I think we have to use a bit of common sense and ask ourselves, why destroy any type of evidence whatsoever, when the stiffest fines in league history have been doled out.

Destruction of evidence would seem to hamper any further investigations which may have been incomplete according to recent developments.

I do not think any type of evidence should ever be destroyed and should be used as an example of what to look for in the future.

NFL Security could have used this destroyed evidence as Al Queda style training tapes. Seriously.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Whats starting to bother me is what appears to be a nfl cover up of sorts with the pats cheating. The nfl's answer to everything is a slap on the wrist. And then lets just forget anything happened so they can keep making huge amounts of money.

What is needed is a cleaning of the house before this cheating and other things we don't know about gets out of hand. Why not cheat if your only gonna get slapped on the wrist.

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm not disputing this. This thing smells like the Fulton Street Fish Market on a hot day. But the dictum, and it's been proven true time and again, is that the cover up is worse than the original offense. I'm just wondering if you think these jerks could be prosecuted, even if it's a misdemeanor. We're dealing with multi level and multi faceted politics here. Did these guys burn the blue dress? If so, is there an actual crime other than terminal stupidity. The rumor and innuendo are going to be more damaging that the uncovering and punishing the culprits.

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The think the problem is. How does the nfl strip the pats of their ill gotten super bowls in years past without causing problems. Its becoming pretty obvious the pats were cheating big time for years. How do you cover that up without hurting the league in general.

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Wow, we have Patriots "Spin Control" threads here now.

28. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm trying to figure out how there is a decisive advantage out of their videos. We and the Israelis have real time video of all kinds of stuff with the Predators and we are still getting bushwhacked and we still lose ground in Afghanistan and Sderot still gets raked. Satellites screwed up the so called Bomber gap, the so called missile gap and the so called WMD in Iraq. Unless you can bug the meetings, I don't see this as much more than a Mel Brooks High Anxiety episode. It stinks that they are trying this crap, it stinks. My question is whether or not jerking off to Jessica Alba's pictures is actual assault.

29. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Three "*"'s and one pending. Fuq this entire organization.

The only people that take their Super Bowl "W's" seriously are the fans of the team. I'm sure I would be in full spin control if it were the Chargers in this spot, but thankfully my favorite team isn't run by conspicuous cheaters.