1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Questions to the Community

Discussion in 'BoltTalk Announcements' started by robdog, Apr 12, 2011.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    I have been pretty busy working with a new community platform that I have integrated with a few of the other forums that I run. It is fairly new, but it has a number of really great features that I think would work well for our forum.

vBulletin has been a great software, but it has a number of short comings. A number of these shortcomings are causing major headaches for people like myself. This is where XenForo comes into play.

It is a pretty powerful community software that has a number of social enhancements to promote activity from users. However, it does have its drawbacks. And that is where you guys come in to play.

How much would you miss the vBookie?
    How much would you miss the Bolt Shop?
    How much would you miss the Bolt Cash?
    How much would you miss the Reputation System? (replaced with likes)
    How much would you miss the Arcade?

The above are the major features that would not make it over to a platform like XenForo (http://www.xenforo.com/).

This is your guys site. So if you love these features, I will work on upgrading to vBulletin 4.1.3, but I would prefer to wait till vBulletin 4.1.4 when they release a new thread/reply editor.

If you want to see it in action on one of my sites, goto: http://www.gatorenvy.com/

Again, your feedback is valuable and nothing is going to happen without consulting you guys first. Post any comments, questions, concerns here.

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I use the arcade every now and then, I wouldn't miss any of the others mentioned.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I can live without them, and will check out what Xenforo has to offer that might fill the gaps. If there are any features that you were considering offering here as a tit-for-tat sorta deal to those features we would lose, could you let us know?

Thanks for all you do.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Looking at the gators site, it is very clean. I like it.

5. robdog

Ratings:
    +262
    There are no core features that we would lose from switch to vBulletin to XenForo. We would lose a couple of the fluff features but I can see those getting added back overtime as the plugin creators switch to XenForo.

Some of the major updates would be the posting features, slick use of javascript to avoid a number of page reloads, search engine upgrade to attack more organic visitors from search engines, deep facebook integration (for those who use facebook), and a few other things.

I might setup a test site as a preview and see how it goes and get some feedback that way. Give us something to do during the strike. :(

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I can not use XenForo. My system does not allow use for it. It does not allow me access to it. Sorry Robdog and Conc.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    How much would you miss the vBookie? Well, since it's been rendered useless to me since I passed 1 quadrillion I guess not at all. :lol: And, judging from the lack of betting since wrbanwal and myself quit betting (due to the quadrillion) I'd venture to guess nobody would miss it.
    How much would you miss the Bolt Shop? I never use it anyways
    How much would you miss the Bolt Cash? Wouldn't really miss it at all. I'll retire a quadrillionaire:abq2:
    How much would you miss the Reputation System? (replaced with likes) Sounds like the same thing to me, just called something different
    How much would you miss the Arcade? I don't really use it here

8. robdog

Ratings:
    +262
    What type of error are you getting? Have you tried to visit the gator envy site that I have setup?

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    It always gives me a Bandwidth error, it also gives me a bunch of code that fills the entire page that I can scroll forever it seems or my Anti Virus and or Anti Spyware tells me that it is too much of a threat and will not allow me the access due to the threats. This goes for all XenForo Sites I have tried to go to.

With the Gator site my Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware software tells me that it is way too much a threat and will not allow me access to it. It does not tell me specifics about what makes for the threats but it still does not allow me the access. Sorry.

10. robdog

Ratings:
    +262
    Interesting. I will bring this up to the XenForo community and see what they say. I might have to ask you for some more specifics on your setup to try and debug the issue successfully.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
  12. robdog

Ratings:
    +262
    XenForo is faster all the way around. I could optimize a skin with no background, smaller header image and the page load should be super fast.

The mobile skin for vBulletin is just terrible. I have slacked on trying to fix that because it is so much of a hassle. :(

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    How much would you miss the Bolt Shop?
    As long as someone replaces my Corona with real Corona.

How much would you miss the Bolt Cash?
    I gave it all to charity when I was the first billionaire. Don't really care anymore.

How much would you miss the Reputation System?
    We all know who the arseholes are. Rep does not matter.