1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Quick post-draft roster look

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I project locks in bold. We generally hold on to most of our picks and I think this class in particular will be almost totally represented.

QB:
    1 Rivers
    2 Volek
    3 Crompton

RB/FB:
    4 Mathews
    5 Sproles

6 Mason
    7 Hester
    8 Tolbert

OL:
    9 Clary
    10 Dielman
    11 Dombrowski
    12 Hardwick
    13 McNeill
    14 Mruczkowski
    15 Vasquez
    16 Green

WR/TE
    17 Jackson
    18 Floyd
    19 Naanee
    20 Davis
    21 Gates
    22 Wilson

23 Epps

DL:

24 Garay
    25 Nwagbuo

26 Boone
    27 Bingham
    28 Martin
    29 Castillo

30 Cesaire
    31 Scott
    32 Thomas
    33 Johnson

LB:

34 Applewhite
    35 Burnett
    36 Merriman
    37 Tucker
    38 Phillips
    39 Cooper
    40 Siler
    41 Butler
    42 English

DB:

43 Jammer
    44 Cason
    45 Strickland
    46 Vasher

47 Hughes
    48 Gregory
    49 Spillman
    50 Oliver
    51 Weddle
    52 Ellison

ST:
    53 Binn
    54 Kaeding
    55 Scifres

Strickland's acquisition makes Gregory potentially expendable. Also, Oliver or Ellison may have a battle to make the roster. It's hard to call the draftees locks...but the guys we drafted are in very good shape to upgrade over someone currently on the roster. Not a lot of room left if you ask me.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. needs to bring in another Q.B. to complete for the 3 spot. I suspect we sign one in the next few days.

The dog days of camp will need another live arm so our guys do not burn out.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    agree...I was just basically listing final 53 candidates

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Looking at our roster, I wish we had 1 more solid RB, a blocking TE, and maybe 1 more NT prospect.

I hope we get Blount and Ivey in UDFA.

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    BLount went vikings!

I want 1 more RB too. Maybe we can trade for Marshawn Lynch still.:icon_huh:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    NEEDS MORE KICKERS

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    We definitely need another running back and maybe one more defensive end but its an improved roster, we filled the needs we had

8. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    You missed Stuckey - our 4th rd selection.

Looks pretty solid when you read from top to bottom. Maybe more OL depth, and hoping that some of the D-Line develop from last year (Go Nwagbou). I was disappointed we lost Dobbins (really liked that guy), but had forgetten Applewhite - he's looked pretty good to me both inside and out.

Some people have suggested we need more RB depth, but I think Hester and Tolbert were fine as 3rd stringers. It was the quality at the top of the RB depth chart that was the problem. Hopefully Matthews was worth the price - because if he is, it's a major upgrade to our biggest hole.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I would agree. I think having a solid number one running back with a bit of muscle will make the rest of the RBs currently on the roster much better. Linebackers having to respect the off tackle stuff will create opportunities for Tolbert and Hester in the flats.

I think the screen game will be sick this year. Hopefully Phillip has been practicing those in the offseason as those throws are not his strong point.

Welcome to the board. Cute little bambino you got there.

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Welcome Shumway. I fully agree with you and Alpenbolt.
    We'll see a very good team in 2010. Sproles will get most of the screens.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    The last DL position will be some battle. If Bingham can get back to 100% he might be the guy over Garay, OG or Johnson, assuming Thomas makes the effort required.

I can see Gregory sticking over Ellison. Don't know where it came from so fast but this offseason seems all of a sudden we realised Ellison was not quick enough.

Don't write off Boonah Brinkley just yet.

I'll be surprised if Strickland makes it over Oliver.

Tucker is under most pressure at OLB. I like Applewhite if he comes back 100%.

There is some real competition this year no doubt about it.

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Strickland is a lock to make this team. They signed him and brought him in for a reason. He's a very good nickel corner who excells at situational blitzing which fits what Rivera likes to do very well. He's also experienced and can start at CB in a pinch as he did with the Jets last year. The only knock on him is his history of injuries. Steve Gregory (though I like him) may be on the hot seat to get bumped off this team with Strickland now on board. Oliver is in a tough position now with the more athletic Stuckey coming on board.

13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The players on the club have mad respect for Applewhite.

Several others (Jyles Tucker among them) are more in danger of getting shipped out than Antwaan is.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I am so ready for Phillips and Cooper to take a ****ing hike. I hope the other guys on the roster help make cutting those 2 clowns a simple decision.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Cooper led the team in tackles, Philips in sacks

And with SM a question mark (in some corners), do we have enough to replace one or both?

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cooper led the team in drag-downs & celebrating other players making plays.

Phillips, if you watch him more closely, got most of his sacks when unblocked. He fights to get off of any decent block which is one of the reasons that he looks so good when Merriman is drawing attention from the other side.

Hopefully Butler beats out Cooper though he may have to wait until this year is done & it's contract time.

I doubt that SP loses his job this year either, but I'm not at all certain that he's here for 2011. And English could take a lot of his reps this year.

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I want to see English WIN a starting position.:yes: Don't care if its over Merriman or SP, just want to see what AJ saw in him.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I seriously doubt that he's going to just get handed the starting position over either guy.

I never bag on a rookie in his first year. Never. Even for the best college athletes, it's a big transition.

English will look a lot better this year. He had a big jump to make in competition level & to playing standing up. With Applewhite & Tucker back healthy as well, our OLB unit is going to look much better this year.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Phillips lead the team in **** talking to opposing coaches and head butts.

20. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Too many DL players IMO...I expect to see a few get cut before the season starts.

The great thing is..heading into the begining of next season we have good depth and competition for DL, LB and DB so hopefully the CREAM WILL RISE TO THE TOP by preseason finish!:icon_party:

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Phillips is by far the best most consistent player on our defense and makes more game changing plays than anyone else. Those are just the facts.

22. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Agree on Phillips. He is easily the biggest playmaker on this defense right now. He makes plays and forces fumbles even if he's not getting sacks like he once did. He is an off-the-field distraction with his twittering and partying...but taking him out of the lineup is definitely a negative for this team right now.

No one has seen enough of English yet at this level to really render a good opinion on his upside. It's hard to come in as a rookie in an average defense and really stand out. Maybe he'll make some noise this year, but I wouldn't bet that he will outperform Shaun.