1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Take: Rivers leads Bolts over Ravens

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Linkage!

It was over when ...
    San Diego QB Philip Rivers engineered a six play, 72-yard scoring drive to open the third quarter. Philips threw a 25-yard strike to a mismatched and wide open Antonio Gates in the end zone. San Diego's high powered passing offense scored 27 unanswered points at one point and the Ravens have entered their first five game skid in team history.

Game balls

Five different Chargers combined to sack Ravens QB Boller four times for losses of 37 yards and also forced two fumbles. Shawne Merriman's forced fumble in the second quarter was recovered by San Diego and led to a Keading 46-yard field goal. The Chargers held the Ravens to just 210 total net yards.

Key stat
    Philip Rivers broke out of a four game slump, completing 25-of-35 passes for 249 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Noteworthy
    LaDainian Tomlinson reached the 10,000-yard rushing milestone in the third quarter. .. For the second straight week, the Ravens defense has given up 30 points. That hasn't happened since 1999. ... Willis McGahee has rushed for a TD in six straight games. ... Chargers have won four straight at home.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We looked much more balanced today on offense, even with the Ravens having a good game against the rush.

Let's keep this ball rolling & continue to build some momentum, guys!

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT caught a lot of balls today so that made up for his lack of yards on the ground.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, I don't care how he gets his touches, as long as we can get him freed up in space. LT can still make most any defender in the league miss him a large percentage of the time. Just a HR waiting to happen.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    i still think LT is the best in the league, his numbers don't support that this year but he is dangerous any time he touches the ball.:tup:

6. JBerrier

JBerrier BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I still think LT is the top RB in the league. We need to run some misdirection plays to get the defense on its heels. Have Davis run some WR handoffs or at least fake a couple to him. This will give the defense something else to think about and that split second could give LT a hole and huge gain.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's time for Rivers and Merriman to step up and take command this team and become the leaders we all know they are capable of becoming.

As long as PR continues to get the ball to our top 3 playmakers, Tomlinson, Gates, and now Chambers, we can win out. Getting those 3 the ball consistently is the KEY to our success. I don't care how he does it. As long as Merriman and the D get in the faces of QB's, RB's, and WR's and force the offenses into bad plays, it's ours for the taking.

I think yesterday was our most complete game of the year from a straight execution standpoint.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    QFT!

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    It's interesting to watch the Chargers turning into a more pass reliant team. LT is getting held to peanuts on the ground (not his fault imo) and we end up passing to make things happen. I wish I could see how many first down conversions we have made as a result of run plays, including run plays on 1st and 2nd down.

I'm not a fool and I know teams are doing all they can to shut him down and our o-line isn't spectacular in run blocking this year. Just different to not see our run game dominating and making the offense move.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    After the RECORD SETTING year our O-line had last year, teams would be fukcing crazy NOT to put 9 guys in the box. LT's success last season made EVERYONE on te offense look good, especially Rivers, because he didn't really have to do much to win games by himself. (Denver and Cincy game were both a different story of course because of the huge deficits we had to overcome)

Now, teams are FORCING us to pass. And it's working. Yesterday was the first game IMO Philip made a defense PAY. A very good defense. If Baltimore had ANY offense whatsoever (forget anything they did in the 4th, they game was completely OVER at that point) it would have been a much closer game, but by the end, those guys on the Baltimore D were f'n SPENT.

Time to build on this. Keep going to the air, cautiously, build up Rivers' confidence with the short stuff and you'll see the deep route begins to come open and well as runnig lanes for LT and MT once those safetys back the f off.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This game was an abject lesson on the value of Nick Hardwick. The money spent on his contract has not been wasted. Rivers might have the helm, but Hardwick is rudder the Chargers pivot on. There was a big difference in that O Line on Sunday and the only thing different was him. Even Clary looked better yesterday than he has in the past.