1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Quietly, consistently, Jammer is silencing opponents and critics

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Stride for stride with Randy Moss, maybe a step behind at times, but savvy enough to reach in and make a play at the last nanosecond against one of the toughest receivers in the league to cover, Quentin Jammer showed a national television audience Sunday night what many don't seem to know.

He's good, almost always.

“He's the most consistent guy I've had the privilege of coaching,” said Chargers secondary coach Bill Bradley.

“He's the most consistent corner in the league,” said Antonio Cromartie, a Pro Bowl corner last season.

Jammer is having perhaps his best season in a career that has in recent years evolved into one defined by steadiness, if not enough of the spectacular to get him to Hawaii even once.

“He doesn't get beat,” Cromartie said. “He makes tackles. He hasn't made a lot of interceptions, and that's why he's not in the Pro Bowl.”

That used to confound Jammer. But at 29 one of the richest Chargers and wanting a Super Bowl ring more than anything, he is now secure in his place in the game.

It's as if the better he's gotten, the less it matters to him what others think. Back when he was leading the league in defensive penalties, he openly fretted about what fans thought.

“I don't care about the recognition,” he said this week, after what he called one of his five best games in a career that spans 93 starts, including postseason. “It has been important to me. In the early years, I wanted to make the Pro Bowl and get the recognition. Now I just want to help this team win. I take pride in the fact that if you put me on a guy he's not going to catch a lot of footballs. He's not going to catch touchdowns.”

Jammer doesn't intercept a lot of passes – though he had one pick Sunday and had another taken away by a dubious officiating judgment – but he also doesn't get flat-out burned a lot. He especially doesn't get beat in the end zone, having been deemed responsible for just 10 touchdowns since the start of the 2005 season. And while his seven interceptions rank 35th among cornerbacks in that span, his 58 pass breakups rank third behind Asante Samuel and Champ Bailey.

Jammer's 11 breakups lead the league this year, and the one touchdown he was charged with by Stats, Inc., was actually the result of a safety not getting back quickly enough to pick up Greg Camarillo in Miami.

What Moss might think of Jammer could not be ascertained.

“Get away from me,” the Patriots receiver said when approached by a reporter after Sunday's game, and he declined to speak to reporters in New England on Wednesday.

So we don't know what Moss thinks about Jammer, but he probably wasn't as happy with his three catches Sunday (none on Jammer) as he was with his one catch in January's AFC Championship Game (none on Jammer).

Jammer knows what Moss probably thinks of him. It's likely the same as what opposing coaches think.

“He likes to play against the best in the league,” Buffalo coach Dick Jauron said. “He always plays at a high level, but he seems to take it up when he has big-name receivers going against him.”

That kind of praise is why Jammer was thrown at just 94 times in 2007 – fewest since he became a starter in 2003 and fewer per play than Cromartie or Drayton Florence last season.

So he's fine if Sunday's game doesn't help him to his first Pro Bowl, oesn't make him appreciated by fans everywhere. He's getting ready to face another big-time receiver in Buffalo's Lee Evans, who is averaging 27 yards a catch.

“It doesn't mean a lot, because that's me,” Jammer said. “I'm going to go out and do my job and make sure a guy is not going to catch a lot of balls. I take pride any time I'm going against one of the top five receivers in the game – and Randy Moss is one of the greatest receivers to ever play – (and) if I get a chance like that, I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity.”

2. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    That's a great picture, and an unbelievable play by Jammer. Pulling away Moss' left hand from the ball, and swatting the ball out of his stomach with his left hand.

I'm REALLY happy to see Jammer playing up to this potential and his contract. He's turned into one of the best corners in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Great Article!!!! :tup:
    I've always liked Jammer!!!

Cromartie should start taking lessons from him instead of Dion!!! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Absolutely. Jammer is a beast. Doesn't try to show off or make it all about him, doesn't go down to injury, doesn't take plays off. Guy is a baller. :yes: :bolt:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I used to be one of the biggest Jammer haters on the board. Dude has won me over completely.

Pro Bowl for QJ.

6. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I love Quentok Jambler.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    It wasn't that long ago that many were clamoring to move QJ to safety.

jes sayin

• Like Like x 1
  8. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    We could use 52 more with his attitude

9. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    I keep feeling so torn. Since I loved having Randy Moss when he was helping the Vikings win games (although I didn't follow his off-field antics or personality) I was glad to see he didn't catch many passes.

10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree with the quote and I was one of the nay sayers, but it seems Jammer has found his stride and will do very well for the team.:yes::yes:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Once Antoine Cason becomes fully acclimated that will still be a good idea, depending on how much better Hart and Weddle become with more experience. The guy can tackle as well as cover.

12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    San Diego cornerback Quentin Jammer:

Chargers fans are calling for the veteran to make the Pro Bowl and they have a legitimate argument. Jammer has been terrific.

Teams rarely have been able to throw at Jammer this season and he is becoming a shut-down corner. Fellow San Diego cornerback Antonio Cromartie gets all the publicity because of his big-play capability Yes, Cromartie is good, but Jammer is not so bad, either.

Don't forget to vote http://www.nfl.com/probowl/ballot

13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Jam master Q has quietly become on of my favorite players. Not just because he's AWESOME, but he is really humble. Send him to hawaii!!:tup:

14. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    The guy is the most under-rated player in the league....he better take Cro to Hawaii this year!!!!:abq2:

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I've been saying for year's that Jam is better than y'all think. He's proved it, eat doo doo.:lol: