1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

RAGING RIVERS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080117-9999-lz1s17front.html

[​IMG]

Raging Rivers?

Chargers quarterback continues to run his mouth, but insists it's all in good fun, so why stop

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 17, 2008

Philip Rivers was being true to himself – which, ironically, is how he landed in the center of this storm in the first place – when he vowed again yesterday not to change.
    “If you've followed me around since I was 5 years old, you'd see the same thing every Saturday afternoon in the backyard,” Rivers said. “You saw it for 51 games at (North Carolina) State, and you'll probably catch something this weekend.”

Always demonstrative and never quiet on the field, the Chargers quarterback has been vilified since the Christmas Eve game in which cameras caught him yelling in the direction of Denver quarterback Jay Cutler.

Now, with the Chargers preparing to play in Sunday's AFC Championship Game at New England, Rivers is being portrayed nationally as a bad sport, a punk and the face of a Chargers team full of attitude.

Wrote Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com:

“Philip Rivers = Terrell Owens.

SEAN M. HAFFEY / Union-Tribune
    Chargers QB Philip Rivers jaws with Titans fans during playoff game.
    “They're the same person; trash-talking twins. Absolute doppelgangers. They're both showboats. They both let their emotions get the best of them. Most of all, they're both impossible to root for.
    “In fact Rivers, Owens, Chad Johnson and Joey Porter's version of hell is a place that doesn't include a camera, microphone or mirror.

“Punks, all of them.”

Rivers has responded all along by saying he doesn't know what the hubbub is about. He reiterated that shock yesterday, explaining again he is simply having fun.

“When it stops being fun, that's when I'll stop playing,” he said. “But if you're in the backyard playing with a buddy and you're wearing him out, if you don't think you're going to let him ... All of us were there. You're not going to jab at him? If their parents walk outside, you're not going to tell them, 'Hey, I'm killing him today'? That's all it is. If we can't do that, then I don't know ... .”

Teammates have defended Rivers publicly and in private. Sure, they have rolled their eyes at times, but they know Rivers is just being Rivers. He is having fun, never meaning to be demeaning.

What they see all the time is the hyper 26-year-old engaging teammates in practice, in meetings and in the hallway. He teases teammates and reporters in the locker room. He plays cards with defensive players and talks the entire time.

What's perhaps most amazing to teammates is that in this time of headlines created by Michael Vick, Adam “Pacman” Jones and numerous NFL players being arrested, a man happily married to his middle school sweetheart and expecting their fourth child is being made a villain.

“It's sad,” fullback Lorenzo Neal said. “He brings it on himself, because he does it. But people are saying all these things because they don't know him. The reality is he is a role model. He's a great father, great husband, great Christian, great person. This guy should be the poster boy for the league.”

The only real issue coach Norv Turner has with Rivers' theatrics is his engaging fans, and he has spoken with him about that. “He doesn't need to be turning around talking to a guy in the stands who's had 12 beers,” Turner said.

While Rivers has always been supercharged on the field, this current scorn began to swell that night against the Broncos. Commentators and many fans (even Chargers fans) said his behavior was unbecoming. Days later, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said he didn't care for Rivers.

“He's not a respectable guy right now, because you talk too much trash and do this and that, but you're really not a great player in this league right now,” Bailey said then. “ ... He kind of represents the classless guy on that team.”

A week later, Oakland fans cheered while Rivers lay on the ground after a hit. He gestured to them as he walked from the field as if to say “Bring it on.”

Then came Sunday's playoff game in Indianapolis. As an injured Rivers was leaving the field before the fourth quarter, fans yelled at him, and he was caught on camera engaging them, telling them he'd be back and that he appreciated their concern. After the game, cameras again caught him on the sideline with his back to the field, talking to fans.

That's something he did last season in comeback victories at Cincinnati and Denver. After last season's playoff loss to New England, cameras caught him screaming that Ellis Hobbs was “the sorriest corner in the league.” Even when caught on camera telling booing fans at Qualcomm Stadium to “shut up” on Nov. 25, there was nowhere near the current outcry.

Worst of all, perhaps, is that Rivers has been linked to the most dreaded name in San Diego sports: Ryan Leaf.

On ESPN's “SportsCenter” on Monday, Mark Schlereth said: “I think the San Diego Chargers need to take a video clip of Ryan Leaf and say, 'Look it, you don't want to end up looking like this.'” To that, fellow analyst Merril Hoge said, “He's starting to.”

“It's kind of unbelievable,” Rivers said. “I'm not going to sit here and turn and put down Ryan Leaf. But sometimes you wonder what gives people the authority to make comparisons?”

CLICK ON THE LINK FOR MORE...INJURY REPORT...HARSH REVIEWS...VOLEK AND LT'S STATUS OR JUST KEEP READING THIS FORUM IF YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    By Trumpet:

Teammates have defended Rivers publicly and in private. Sure, they have rolled their eyes at times, but they know Rivers is just being Rivers. He is having fun, never meaning to be demeaning.

What they see all the time is the hyper 26-year-old engaging teammates in practice, in meetings and in the hallway. He teases teammates and reporters in the locker room. He plays cards with defensive players and talks the entire time.

What's perhaps most amazing to teammates is that in this time of headlines created by Michael Vick, Adam “Pacman” Jones and numerous NFL players being arrested, a man happily married to his middle school sweetheart and expecting their fourth child is being made a villain.

“It's sad,” fullback Lorenzo Neal said. “He brings it on himself, because he does it. But people are saying all these things because they don't know him. The reality is he is a role model. He's a great father, great husband, great Christian, great person. This guy should be the poster boy for the league.”

I believe my man Lorenzo

• Like Like x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This is all bullshit.

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/17/sports/professional/chargers/12_02_361_16_08.txt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Memorabilia from the 1963 AFL title game between the Chargers and New England that's on display in the front lobby of the Chargers Park facility in San Diego on Wednesday.

The stars are out for Chargers

By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- The Chargers returned to the practice field on Wednesday, save a Pro Bowler or four. View A Video

Those skipping the workout were LaDainian Tomlinson (knee), Philip Rivers (knee), tight end Antonio Gates (toe) and Shawne Merriman (illness).

But Tomlinson hopes to participate today as the Charges continue preparations for Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the New England Patriots.

"Feeling better,'' Tomlinson said of his sprained knee. "Especially after a few days, and taking a day off today. I feel a lot better. I expect to practice (today)."

Tomlinson said he has "no concerns at all'' about playing on Sunday.

Rivers didn't sound quite as optimistic about practicing, although he hinted that he'd be shocked if doesn't play Sunday. He might practice Friday, but it's hardly a given.

"Obviously, the goal is to be ready to play on Sunday, and I'm optimistic I'll be able to do that," Rivers said.

Gates likely will be a game-time decision, as he was last Sunday. Merriman took a sick day but should practice today.

While Rivers' knee was a popular subject, his mouth was more of one. Much is being made of Rivers' love of jabbering during games to rivals, officials, fans and anyone else within earshot.

"I'm aware of it,'' he said. "I really don't get too caught up in it. It's kind of surprising, really, to be honest with you. I'm out there having a good time, as I did in the backyard since I was 5 years old.Ý I'm not saying anything out of line. There's no profanity being used.Ý I know what I'm about.Ý My teammates know, my family knows, and everything else I can't worry about.Ý

"When it stops being fun, that's when I'll stop playing it. If you're out in the backyard with a buddy and you're wearing them out, if you don't think you're going to let them (hear about it) ...ÝYou're not going to jab at them? If their parents walk outside, 'Hey, I'm killing them today!' That's all it is. If we can't do that, then I don't know. I really don't.''

Some are comparing the Alabama native to Ryan Leaf, a former chattering Chargers quarterback. Since Rivers got into a verbal exchange with some Broncos on Christmas Eve, he has acquired a reputation for being the Mouth of the South.

"Again, it's kind of unbelievable, to be honest with you,'' said Rivers, whom TV cameras caught shouting at Colts fans on two occasions Sunday. "I'm not going to sit here and put down Ryan Leaf. Sometimes you wonder what gives people the authority to make comparisons.ÝI really don't get caught up in it. Obviously, I have an opinion about it. As you can see, since that Denver week when things got blown out of proportion, I haven't changed since then.''

Igor Olshansky didn't slow his gums, either. The Chargers' defensive end raised some eyebrows when he said the Patriots should be worried about the Chargers rather than the other way around.

"I think, in a weak moment, Igor misspoke,'' coach Norv Turner said.

Olshansky said he doesn't regret his remarks.

"No, absolutely not,'' he said. "They caught me 30 minutes after the game, and it was an emotional time. I said what I felt."

The words will soon cease, and the real fun will start. Can the two-touchdown-underdog Chargers really knock off the 17-0 Patriots?

"We're up against a tough test,'' Tomlinson said. "To get to the Super Bowl, we have to face a team that's undefeated ... perhaps the greatest team to ever play. In my mind it's like David and Goliath. That's the way I look at this."

So will Tomlinson pack a slingshot with the rest of his gear?

"No, I don't have a slingshot," he said.

Still, he'll be asked to blast a run defense that allowed only 98 rushing yards per game in the regular season.

"They don't make mistakes,'' Tomlinson said of the Patriots' savvy front seven. "They don't get knocked off their feet. They're always where they are supposed to be ... in the right gap and very disciplined. That's what makes it tough to run against them.

"They're not going to get blown off the ball. They have veteran linebackers who have seen everything you can possibly see in this league. They're not fooled. They're physical, too. They get to their point and they're to hold their point and not get knocked off it. That's what makes them good."

Chargers note:

Stan Humphries will serve as the team's honorary captain for Sunday's game in New England. Humphries, the only quarterback to lead the Chargers to a Super Bowl, will join Philip Rivers, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shawne Merriman, Jamal Williams and Kassim Osgood for the pregame coin toss.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    "I think, in a weak moment, Igor misspoke,'' coach Norv Turner said.

I know that a lot of you guys like the "brash talking" aspect of our team, and many of you think that providing bulletin board material is not a big deal.

But I have to agree with Norv Turner here. Shut the fk up and be ready to play on Sunday.

PS. The Charger players admitted that they got fired up last week by all of the media predicting a Colts blowout. To think that these players should be professional enough to not need "external motivation", that is a noble idea but is not how things work in the real world.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    RIVERS IS AWESOME!!!! He will win us SuperbowlS here in San Diego. He is the leader of this team, and his heart and fire inspires everybody else. The media gets a big fat FUC U from me.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Players don't play well because the media doubts them. They play well because they believe in themselves, they are talented and they have a good gameplan.

Igor's a funny guy. I thought the "Who?" comment when a reporter asked about New England was pretty funny. Obviously, he was being sarcastic.

The Chargers just finished beating a team they were not given a chance to beat. Then, immediately after the game, they are asked about the next unbeatable team. I don't blame Igor for being a little annoyed.

For all the **** we talked before the playoff game last year, we soundly outplayed the Patriots. But our own mental mistakes beat us. The idea that the Patriots are going to somehow play better because of Igor's comment is silly. This is the AFC Championship game. No extra motivation is required.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is all about the penchant for reporters and journalists to foment drama and conflict because that is what sells, period. Howard Fineman up and admitted that the Media had ginned up the racial flack between the Clinton/Obama campaigns and when the pair said that they weren't going to engage in this kind of nonsense over a nonexistent fight, Chris Matthews and Tim Russert looked like someone had run over their new puppy. Fineman flat out said the media loves a good, nasty fight. It's no different in sports. We know better, so just ignore the bastards.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    If motivation isn’t “required”, then why do coaches jump at the opportunities to fire up the team? Like the Chargers being pissed in ’94 when the Steelers were making their playoff video?

I think this stuff matters, but that’s just me.

10. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Seconded.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    four kids?

and a football career?

dude is fuked up!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Win or go home. That should be all the motivation that's needed.

13. P4E*

P4E* Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder if he is still trash talking after sunday's game,i doubt it.

This PUNK has done jack-**** in his carear as a charger,isn't it funny that the best QB's,ie..Brady and manning just let there game do the talking.

the run ends on sunday philip.

• Like Like x 1
  14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Your boy is going to get lit up this weekend. You know that, right? And when he's lying there, limp (like your little dik)... remember... there's always Matt Cassel or that other USC backup on your bench to come in and save the day. Win or lose... our defense is sending some bodies to the morgue. :icon_twisted:

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yeah, he's done jack ****, you're right. Lead his team to the playoffs both years as a starter, to the AFC Championship as a second year starter, won his division 2 years in a row, been to the pro bowl once, and just played one of his best games as a pro last week against the heavily favored Colts on the road while having a better QBR than Peyton f'n Manning. But yeah, you're right, he's done jack ****.

You should be that last one to talk about a Qb talking trash.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g59Cb8QUopU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g59Cb8QUopU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:32 seconds in your precious Brady decides to say a friendly hello to Anthony Smith

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I talk with non Chargers fans, and there's this idea out there that Rivers isn't a leader. WTF???

17. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Which run? :D

Also, whenever I've watched the Patriots they talk a boatload of trash, especially Wes Welker, who hasn't even been on a playoff team until this year. Brady talks **** when he's out there as well, don't be blinded by being a fan.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Media horseshit you know that

19. P4E*

P4E* Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    Brady trash talked in that ******* smith's face because he was trash talking about beating the pats.

rivers also had some one called LdT as his running back in his two play-off years,plus a top O-Line.

dont even think about comparing punk rivers to Tommy.

20. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    A punk is someone who impregnates a woman and runs off and doesn't accept any of his responsibility.

So that makes your "Tommy" a punk. :yes:

21. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Who is LdT? Stop reading the garbage being spewed by Boston pole smoker Bill Simmons. If you'd like to refer to LaDainian Tomlinson by any other moniker, its "LT".

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah, Brady is more Elton John, (AC/DC)...

Rivers isnt..

23. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    PAL52 wrote on Jan 17, 2008 7:11 PM:Ryan Leaf never played one good game, one good quarter, maybe not even one good series for the Chargers. He threw tantrums, yelled at journalists and his teammates, choked every time he stepped on the field. His teammates couldn't stand him. He played golf while he was supposed to be rehabbing.
    Rivers yaks to the fans, yells at opposing players to knock off the dirty play, is afraid of no one, plays on bum ankles and bum knees, hates to leave the field, gets bored when he's off it, works his butt off, and now he's making big plays week in and week out.
    Only an idiot could compare Leaf to Rivers.
    Good to see Stan Humphries' name again. The only reason the Chargers drafted Leaf was because Humphries gave the team everything he had, including his health. Fans are in his debt.

NC Times Post of the day

24. P4E*

P4E* Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    You're pass rushers are gonna have a tough time getting to brady.

the scary thing for charger fans is,if you dont get to brady you will get destroyed,and hell,even if you do get to brady,you're still going down:lol:

Sunday is almost opon us,soon all the talking will be over and it's time for the super san diego chargers to show what they are made of.

cany wait to see what philip cry me a rivers is a gonna do.

25. P4E*

P4E* Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    Even if tommy where a punk,he has every right to be one,he has a actually achieved something, what's cry me a river's excuse???

you no as well as i do that the chargers and rivers dont stand a chance,the D will end up doing ****,and LT will be stopped like he was in week 2....the chargers are no where near the team the colts are,you beat them i know,but on another day you lose that game easy,the pats wont be so easy,WHEN we get up on you,rivers will have to beat us,LMAO@ that happening.

see ya on sunday super san diego chargers.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    "You're" versus "your" tackles are known for being biitches to the edge speed rushers.

I sense your fear.

We like it.

27. P4E*

P4E* Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    Im shaking,really shaking.

how many sacks of brady did the chargers have in week 2,was it 2?

brady got sacked twice and lit the shite out of your secondry...I like cromartie but,Mcree is you're weak link,i expect lots of balls to be thrown his way,RANDY MOSS ANYONE:lol:

and if randy doesn't get ya wes will, and if wes doesn't dontae will...im even scaring myself with all the guns bardy has...well,at least you have shawne "lets get loaded up" merriman.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Your team has earned this:

Embrace the asterisk.

When someone cheated at the poker table in the wild west, they would just shoot them between the eyes.

By the way, how are the counseling sessions for your kids who got called out as supporters of cheaters going? I hear family divorce rates are up and general mayhem has been unleashed in your schools because of the embarassment. It is a shame your young ones had to be taught a lesson by their peers instead of their parents.

We love it. :tup:

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Another mindless automaton that suckles at the media teet.

The idea that the Colts are a better team than the Chargers is ludicrous. The Chargers beat them twice this year, and in last week's game, they beat the Colts and the refs. People want to point to the Colts mistakes as a reason they lost, but every single one of those mistakes was forced by our defense. We beat the Colts with our three best offensive players hobbled. We're a better team than them. Accept it and move on.

As far as the Pats not making mistakes, with as bad as the Chargers D played in week 2, they forced two turnovers and forced another Tom Brady fumble that the Pats were fortunate to recover. Merriman also had two sacks. With the Chargers defense playing light years better, and 15 more games worth of tape available on the Pats offense, the Chargers should be able to force the Pats into some mistakes.

30. P4E*

P4E* Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    The patriots have the best coach in the league,he will have plans for the chargers that norv turner could only dream of.The patriots at home in the play-offs are one hell of a team to beat,we have had far better teams come to gillette over years,the chargers are no more than a overrated team....merriman and phillips can pass rush with the best of them,only thing is they cant cover for the life in them.welker will be all over the shop on sunday,watch out for jabba and watson as well,the chargers simply wont be able to handle the pats receivers,and dont forget maroney who is on fire lately.

The pats will hit 30 plus points..are you sure the chargers can score that many?