1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Raging" Waters healthy and ready to compete...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, May 20, 2008.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/waters-healthy-happy.htm

By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Over the course of the last two years, Chargers linebacker Anthony Waters has continually reminded himself of a message his high school coach used to pound into his head.

“Be patient, be patient, be patient,” Waters recites. “He always told me that I might have to wait my turn but as long as I kept working good things would happen.”

That’s the approach the 6-3, 240 pound linebacker has taken to football, and he believes he’ll soon reap some of the benefits of his work. From the sound of it, the Chargers think he will, too.

“Anthony’s healthy, he’s 100 percent and we think he’s going to be an outstanding player,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He’s got a lot to learn. I expect Anthony to have an impact and contribute, whether it’s on special teams, whether it’s on first-down defense or an eight-man front defensive package. He’s running extremely well right now and he’s got a lot of talent.”

The Chargers believed they got a potential steal last spring when the drafted Waters near the end of the third round. Many NFL scouts believed Waters had the talent to be a first-round pick, but the Lake View, South Carolina native missed his entire senior season at Clemson after tearing his Anterior Cruciate Ligament in the first game of the 2006 season.

Waters spent an extensive amount of time with the Chargers’ athletic training staff last summer strengthening his knee but still wasn’t quite himself when the season began.

“When I came in last year, I told people I was ready but I had some doubts about my knee,” Waters said. “I was a little hesitant. It held me back a little.”

As a rookie, Waters was inactive all 16 regular-season games and all three playoff games. By the time he regained complete confidence in his knee, roles were established and his opportunity to contribute had passed him by.

“It was probably about midseason, right when the team got pretty hot and got on a roll,” Waters said. “That’s when I started feeling my best. I understood what was going on. I understood how everyone was playing. I knew I had to wait. I was cool with that.”

Although he didn't see game action, Waters did his best to make the most of his rookie season. He studied film and dedicated himself to learning the defense. He practiced diligently and picked the veterans’ brains. Waters spent time talking with Antonio Cromartie, who went through a similar experience when he suffered an ACL injury prior to his final college season. Waters knew that once he physically caught up he’d be ready to contribute.

“This year I’m confident in myself and I’m confident in my body,” Waters said. “I’m ready to go. I feel like I can compete now. It’s on me to go get the job done. I feel like I’m 100 percent and I’m back to where I used to be. I’m feeling pretty good about everything that’s going on.”

During the first two days of Offseason Coaching Sessions, Waters has worked as the “Mike” linebacker with the second- and third-team defense. He’s been pleased with the way he’s been able to apply all that he’s learned.

“I know this defense,” Waters said. “Everything is becoming second nature. There are still things I have to work on but it’s coming quicker now. I’m playing faster and thinking less. That’s the way football is supposed to be.”

He’s also worked to find a niche on special teams, which he knows can be the difference in being active and inactive once the season rolls around.

“Whatever my role is going to be, I’m going to do it. I saw what (Brandon) Siler did last year. You can be a starter on special teams, too. I’ll do whatever I have to.

“I keep telling myself that if I work hard and keep doing everything I’m supposed to, the good things will come. I know if I do my part and continue to make progress, I feel like eventually it will payoff. I’ll get a chance to showcase my talents some way. I’ll do whatever it takes. I’m going to be focused.”

.. the kids gonna be a star... can't wait for training camp... hear those pads popping...

• Like Like x 1
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Great article Ron! Reading that really got me fired up... too bad we're still like four months away. :lol:

3. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I have big hopes for Waters.

Unlike most of the other ILBs on the roster, it looks like Waters has the ability to cover tight ends and running backs. Is so, that'll be a huge asset to the D.

4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Unlike most of the other ILBs on the roster, Waters doesn't have female genitalia.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Great read Ron thanks and I had almost forgotten about this guy. :tup: :bolt:

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Yep, I am jonesing for some NFL football. This WWE..err NBA stuff is getting old. The refs are, well...fixing things too much. The homer calls are ridiculous.

The thing that stands out the most to me is the high character peeps that AJ keeps drafting. These guys just want to play football!

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    And you know this..... how?!? :icon_rofl:

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    “Be patient, be patient, be patient,” ...:icon_rofl:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Can't wait to see him as a part of this defense. :yes:

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Holy **** Buck how did you become a vbookie gazillionaire? :lol:

You should start loaning that **** with interest...... :yes: :flag:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Smart money management, my son. :lol:

Made a few good bets last year, sold a few personal items, & have steered pretty clear of vBookie since. :yes:

I'm gonna bet a million on the home opener. :tup:

You need a loan? I'll treat you kindly. :yes: